Umpiring after total knee replacement?

SJA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 705 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst injury comeback I know of is a guy whom I do not know personally but he is the father of someone I work with.

He tore his calf and I do not know the particulars but his son said it was a complete tear  muscle rolled up towards his knee and etc.  Well surgery and an off season and he is back on the field and has been for a few years now.

I wish you luck in your recovery 

I had Total Knee Replacement (TKR) in December of 2019.   I started back on the field in March 2020, but the season ended after three games due to Covid.  I worked 65 games in spring 2021.  My results have been great.  If I could change anything, I would grant me the pre-surgery awareness that the affected leg had lost much muscle mass and I wish I had spent a LOT of time pre-surgery to Pre-hab that quadricep/calf.

I am more mobile now than I was pre-surgery.

Happy to discuss further.

@SJAYes.  I had 2 TKR in 2020 (June and October) at age 57.  Leading up to this I had 4 cartilage surgeries and tore the MCL and PCL on the right knee.  I was "officially" bone on bone in 2015.  I had loose cartilage in both knees at the time of replacement that 2 surgeons refused to clean out.  They were a mess due to osteoarthrosis.        

In 2021, I umpired 155 games over a 7 month period doing as many as 4 90' games in day.  I don't take any NSIAD or need to ice after games.  I am more agile than I have been in 15 years.    

As @elares stated above, the value of prehab can not be overstated.  For me it was indoor cycling.    

Additionally, it is important to be open with your PT to tell them what you want to do/where you want to be at the end.  They are used to working with patients that have a lower activity level than a umpire.    

Please PM and we can set up a time to talk and I can give you more of what to expect, what you need to have and what to do.