AS Colbalt Skully question

For those whom have skullys

I have a question about pad height on the brim of the skully. Is there a preferred pad you use?

I ask as my AS4KMag pad I feel it sits the mask up just a little high as the height of the cap is now like 3/4 of an inch higher then what I had with a ball cap.

I love the protection the Skully gives and do not wish to lose it. 

I do not see much adjustment inside to make the visor lower I have tipped it foward just a little and that seemed to help but for the skully to sit most comfortable I find myself wanting the mask to sit just a tad lower.

I know that I had to significantly adjust my mask harness when moving from a regular 2" cap to the Skully.

You may have done this, but I wonder if your harness is still a little tight and making it rise up. Try playing around a bit with the harness and see if loosing the harness, may be the top strap, will help you get it right.

Note: I have Belgard PU leather pads on mine. I have no problems.

• Like 1

I did loosen the mask back strap and have the AS delta flex harness on the mask.  It had my original black pads on the mask until last night

I changed them out to the deerskin ones and took that for a test drive.

They did not seem to mount as well in the corners as they seemed tighter so I mounted the corner straps on the top piece higher than they should have been. This did give me a little more room at the visor with the pad sitting on top of the visor. It did drop it just s touch and made my window a lot better. 

Its also not so much of a harness issue that was holding the mask up it was the top pad thickness doing so. At least thats how I felt.

• 1 month later...

Took two mask shots (one foul ball straight-back and one deflection off the batter when HBP) last night while wearing my AS Skully. 

Pitcher throwing low 80's in a Sr. Legion game. I was wearing a Wilson TI Low Profile with TW pads. I had no bells ringing, no spots flashing, no cobwebs to clear and no problems.  I am convinced that the Skully prevented me from getting a concussion. Of course I felt the shots, but not nearly as badly as I expected to feel them.  I didn't even get a headache.

Count me as a believer in the Skully's protection.  I fully endorse this product.  It is cooler than wearing a regular hat thanks to the vents on the top allowing heat to escape and cool breezes to be felt.  It catches and holds in your sweat better which keeps it out of your eyes.  It was 95 at game time last night and I felt fine in the Skully. As an added bonus, my sunglasses don't need adjusted because my Skully stays in place once I put it in. 

Yes, I know the look is bit unorthodox, but change takes time.  The more of us that wear these, the more they will begin to look more "normal" to the masses.   As for me, I'll err on the side of safety versus simple appearance. But I'd recommend you get one of these, it just may prolong your career by helping you to avoid concussions and recovery.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

It is cooler than wearing a regular hat thanks to the vents on the top allowing heat to escape and cool breezes to be felt. 

I got the AS delta Flex harness  and am finding it lays RIGHT OVER THOSE DAMN VENT HOLES

I have yet to be in a real scorcher but I maybe looking for another mask harness.

I find it odd that they did not think about that when they designed it.  I mean yeah it uses the little dip in the helmet and fits in there real nice. But I am concerned its going to block those vent holes too much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I got the AS delta Flex harness  and am finding it lays RIGHT OVER THOSE DAMN VENT HOLES

I have yet to be in a real scorcher but I maybe looking for another mask harness.

I find it odd that they did not think about that when they designed it.  I mean yeah it uses the little dip in the helmet and fits in there real nice. But I am concerned its going to block those vent holes too much.

95 actual temp with 107 heat index last night and no trouble for me.  Remember, your mask is off-and-on the whole game.  You take it off for calls at the plate, when you run to check for pulled foot at first, when ball is hit in fair territory, on foul balls where the catcher has a play, between innings, etc. so it's not like it's blocking all of the vents all of the time.

The only thing with the flex harness I somewhat dislike is that it is very fluid.  The fluidity of it makes it a two-hand job to put the mask on right, but I've adapted to it already and it's a good tradeoff in my opinion.  I've had it a couple of weeks now and really like it.

1 minute ago, wolfe_man said:

95 actual temp with 107 heat index last night and no trouble for me.  Remember, your mask is off-and-on the whole game.  You take it off for calls at the plate, when you run to check for pulled foot at first, when ball is hit in fair territory, on foul balls where the catcher has a play, between innings, etc. so it's not like it's blocking all of the vents all of the time.

The only thing with the flex harness I somewhat dislike is that it is very fluid.  The fluidity of it makes it a two-hand job to put the mask on right, but I've adapted to it already and it's a good tradeoff in my opinion.  I've had it a couple of weeks now and really like it.

Yeah I got the two hand thing down also

I have had maybe a handful of times I went to pull it off and started to get the helmet with it too. Only once has the helmet come completely off though. 

But yeah I had not thought about how much the mask does come off. Still I think I will get an umplife harness to check out once they are back in stock

3 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Yeah I got the two hand thing down also

I have had maybe a handful of times I went to pull it off and started to get the helmet with it too. Only once has the helmet come completely off though. 

But yeah I had not thought about how much the mask does come off. Still I think I will get an umplife harness to check out once they are back in stock

I have a couple of spare ones (UL with buckles) if you need one or two.  IM me and we can work out a fair price with shipping to you if you want to try one.

My helmet (Large size) doesn't move on me.  I'm a 7 3/8" hat size. 

12 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I have a couple of spare ones (UL with buckles) if you need one or two.  IM me and we can work out a fair price with shipping to you if you want to try one.

My helmet (Large size) doesn't move on me.  I'm a 7 3/8" hat size. 

I may take you up on that.  I wear the Medium as I am a 7 1/4  when I have hair.  But I shave the ole dome and I find actually bald or a little stubble and she sits there really good My issue is I have let it go too far now and it does slide just a wee bit.  I just need to shave the dome again and it'll be fine.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Just another example of how they took this helmet - MADE FOR CATCHERS - and only shortened the brim; that's why the yellow padding on the inside isn't at the forehead either.  Flip the helmet around and wear it backwards (not for a game, for illustration) and put the mask on it, and you'll see the delta-flex leaves all the vents perfectly uncovered.

I LOVE the AS skully, and realize that it's probably not economical for AS to make a true 100% ump only helmet - I'm just thrilled they made this with the short brim for us, because especially with the FM4000mag and steel, a regular brim is just too long and unsafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Just another example of how they took this helmet - MADE FOR CATCHERS - and only shortened the brim; that's why the yellow padding on the inside isn't at the forehead either.  Flip the helmet around and wear it backwards (not for a game, for illustration) and put the mask on it, and you'll see the delta-flex leaves all the vents perfectly uncovered.

I LOVE the AS skully, and realize that it's probably not economical for AS to make a true 100% ump only helmet - I'm just thrilled they made this with the short brim for us, because especially with the FM4000mag and steel, a regular brim is just too long and unsafe.

Well I feel like I been dipped in dog ....

Here I was thinking this was a Umpire piece made just for us.  Damn ☹️

Screenshot 2022-06-16 103543.jpg

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Well I feel like I been dipped in dog ....

Here I was thinking this was a Umpire piece made just for us.  Damn ☹️

LOL! Yeah, I posted the two pics a while ago and felt a little bit the same, only because I'm more aggravated by the padding than the vent holes, but again, it's better than any previous skully so I'm not complaining - just commenting on where it could be better.  (And now you know that brim shortening costs $10 :) ).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, wolfe_man said:

Count me as a believer in the Skully's protection.  I fully endorse this product.  It is cooler than wearing a regular hat thanks to the vents on the top allowing heat to escape and cool breezes to be felt.  It catches and holds in your sweat better which keeps it out of your eyes.  It was 95 at game time last night and I felt fine in the Skully. As an added bonus, my sunglasses don't need adjusted because my Skully stays in place once I put it in.

I tried my scully for the first time this weekend.  Upper 80s weather and not a cloud in the sky.  As you mentioned about the sweat being held better, I know between innings, if I looked down with the scully on my head, I had a stream of sweat coming down the bill.  So much sweat that I could actually knock the all of the dust of my plate shoes toes.  Yes, I tried that once.  Yes, I sweat a lot.  But, I can't remember a bead of sweat entering my eyes all day or noticing sweat, that bothered me, on my forehead while it was on.  Two thumbs up!

I am a 7.5 hat size with that being the lowest side scale for the XL size scully.  It wasn't a loose fit but I thought maybe it would jar a bit when doing a rotation.  Nope.  Stayed in place.  Maybe it was the water tension from my sweat to my forehead holding it on, who knows? 

It does sit the mask a little up on the chin.  That really is the only thing I noticed differently about it.  Maybe with new pads, I would sit lower but I can get used to this. 

No more plate hats with extra protection and sweat control.  Two thumbs up!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BLWizzRanger said:

I tried my scully for the first time this weekend.  Upper 80s weather and not a cloud in the sky.  As you mentioned about the sweat being held better, I know between innings, if I looked down with the scully on my head, I had a stream of sweat coming down the bill.  So much sweat that I could actually knock the all of the dust of my plate shoes toes.  Yes, I tried that once.  Yes, I sweat a lot.  But, I can't remember a bead of sweat entering my eyes all day or noticing sweat, that bothered me, on my forehead while it was on.  Two thumbs up!

I am a 7.5 hat size with that being the lowest side scale for the XL size scully.  It wasn't a loose fit but I thought maybe it would jar a bit when doing a rotation.  Nope.  Stayed in place.  Maybe it was the water tension from my sweat to my forehead holding it on, who knows? 

It does sit the mask a little up on the chin.  That really is the only thing I noticed differently about it.  Maybe with new pads, I would sit lower but I can get used to this. 

No more plate hats with extra protection and sweat control.  Two thumbs up!

Thats a great review, thanks!  I have my skully coming in today, so I can try it in my game tonight.  I had REALLY hoped I was going to have it in time for this past weekend (where I worked 7 games in 95-100 degree weather!), but for various reasons my package got delayed.

On 6/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

Yeah they should have engineered it separately for Umpires to take hits in the front with the mask over the brim.  To me that extra yellow foam would probably help even more in the front for us.

Actually the extra protection is in the back on purpose. With multiple of layers of mask frame, mask padding, skull shell and skull padding, All-Star testing found that was plenty enough force reduction in the front (and it is, partly, too, because force is reduced transitioning layer-to-layer).

The extra padding in the back is for backswings. It was added because it felt there was not enough back there for umpires in standard padding skull caps.

So the interpretation of having more padding in the back because that is the front side for catcher’s is incorrect.

This was something that Stan Jurga, product development of All-Star emphasized, and that it came out of input at the MLB level and their own testing.

So, yes, the umpire skull cap was indeed designed specifically for umpires. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:28 AM, Rock Bottom said:

I LOVE the AS skully, and realize that it's probably not economical for AS to make a true 100% ump only helmet…

Especially when they still haven’t gotten any endorsement or acknowledgment from MLB, and the great Gold W Slug has yet, 20 years on, to do anything noteworthy on behalf of umpires. 

And no, an aluminum DynaLite ain’t a unique introduction. Diamond was having Wilson’s lunch in the amateur umpire ranks with their iX3.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Actually the extra protection is in the back on purpose. With multiple of layers of mask frame, mask padding, skull shell and skull padding, All-Star testing found that was plenty enough force reduction in the front (and it is, partly, too, because force is reduced transitioning layer-to-layer).

The extra padding in the back is for backswings. It was added because it felt there was not enough back there for umpires in standard padding skull caps.

So the interpretation of having more padding in the back because that is the front side for catcher’s is incorrect.

This was something that Stan Jurga, product development of All-Star emphasized, and that it came out of input at the MLB level and their own testing.

So, yes, the umpire skull cap was indeed designed specifically for umpires. Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

I know that is what All Star said, and I LOVE their product - I've convinced many of my partners to get one, but if the padding was needed in the back for backswings for umps, it would needed even more for catchers, wouldn't it?  Yet the catcher's version has it in the back (the front of the turned around helmet as worn by most catchers).  It just doesn't make sense to me - and add the fact the delta-flex covers the port holes in the ump version and I those two things lead me to thing it's a re-engineered {aka, bill shortened and helmet sand-painted) version of their Axis catching helmet.  But hey, I'm no engineer, not even close - and this is a great product - but I'd love to have more protection up front and changed porthole placement - but I'm trusting All-Star with my brain on this!

For those who haven't tried the skully with the DeltaFlex instead of the traditional harness, I HIGHLY recommend the DF - especially this all-black version: https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/FMHPRO-SBK/All-Star-Delta-Flex-Umpire-Mask-Replacement-Harness

It grabs the skully perfectly, while still being very easy to get on and off, but hundreds of games in I've never had the mask slip once.