Te double n e double s double e again

dumbdumb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 717 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

George Demetriou wrote in the 2019-2020 edition of his book College Baseball Rules Study Guide (p. 199) the following about thrown bats—

There are no provisions governing the careless or deliberate throwing of bats by batter; however, umpires should use their 3-6b authority to deal with endangerment of others or extreme cases of unsportsmanlike conduct.

I would say that both the home-run hitter and the Tennessee player from the dugout were guilty of carelessly throwing the bat and endangering others. Unfortunately, I don’t think any of the umpires saw where the bat landed after the batter flipped it.

So that leaves us with the following interpretation found in the 2016 BRD (section 98. p. 85):

PARONTO:  The umpire should address carelessly thrown bats with the appropriate head coach. There is no official warning.

I don’t know what’s going on. It’s not only Tennessee, but they sure are leading the way. It’s out of control, all the way down to JUCO level. Weather it’s a pitcher screaming at the top of their lungs after retiring the side, or bat flips and gestures at the opposing dugout after hits, it’s out of control. I’ve found myself in a few college games this year where playing peacemaker, or more fitting, babysitter, has become more of my job than the game itself. I don’t know if we need stricter rules for bench jockeying, leaving the dugout for any reason, limit the number of players allowed on the bench?  I don’t have the answer, but it’s getting worse. 

Tony Vitello is in the water. And while not toxic is distasteful. Nobody will deal with it and we underlings will have to. Lucky to say in my neck of the woods coaches/teachers are total professionals and a kid going off the rails is dealt with in an appropriate manor.

22 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

PARONTO:  The umpire should address carelessly thrown bats with the appropriate head coach. There is no official warning.

7 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Tony Vitello is in the water

Good luck “ addressing” the situation with Tony. He’s the ring leader. The players follow. 

3 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Good luck “ addressing” the situation with Tony. He’s the ring leader. The players follow. 

I was talking about HS as far as what I have seen. NCAA is waffling because of the money and gives lip service to such acts and wants the umps to control it. After the act happens, no matter how the umps handled it, NCAA keeps their lip shut. It's about money.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Richvee said:

it goes to the top. so its the institution that condones his overboard behavior ( no, i'm not talking about throwing his hat on ground and saying your blind). nothing says the institution could not have given him 8 days, remember i mentioned people telling me they got double at home from whatever trouble they got in at school. so he would still not be coaching with the NCAA game penalty from the week before of 4 games, and then the institution punishing his deplorable behavior with 8 games. even another 4 from the institution he would have been out this week. dont let the institution off the hook. the institution could put a lid on him in a heartbeat. and if he did not like it, he could walk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimurray said:

I was talking about HS as far as what I have seen. NCAA is waffling because of the money and gives lip service to such acts and wants the umps to control it. After the act happens, no matter how the umps handled it, NCAA keeps their lip shut. It's about money.

Agree 100% forD1. But like I said, it’s trickling down to JUCO. It’s not a money issue there, but we’re expected to handle it.

When it does escalate in HS, which is rarer, it’s usually easily controlled and from what I’ve seen this year the majority of coaches will help. 

Just now, dumbdumb said:

it goes to the top. so its the institution that condones his overboard behavior ( no, i'm not talking about throwing his hat on ground and saying your blind). nothing says the institution could not have given him 8 days, remember i mentioned people telling me they got double at home from whatever trouble they got in at school. so he would still not be coaching with the NCAA game penalty from the week before of 4 games, and then the institution punishing his deplorable behavior with 8 games. even another 4 from the institution he would have been out this week. dont let the institution off the hook.

So again, let's say it's about the money, NCAA and Institution. And let's say it's about the money for the umps and assignors of those games. I'd be surprised to see anything happen other than some meaningless rhetoric on Arbiter.