Youth Umpire mentoring - got me back in the gear!

KStillman

Hi everyone, I'm sure my story isn't isolated, so interested to hear what's gotten others "back in the mask" after a long time away. 

After having not umpired since my college days, I got back into calling games (informally) over the past couple of seasons, mainly as help for travel clubs (starting with my own boys' club) not being able to get engaged officials for anything outside of sanctioned tournaments.  Started calling some weekend double-headers primarily at 14u and 12u levels, and forgot how much fun it is to remind these players and coaches (and hopefully, by extension, some of the parents...) that good umpiring can be such a huge asset to the game. 

This winter I went through some classroom and on-field clinics with my 13-yr old son to get him on the Youth Umpire list with a few Little Leagues in our area, and he has really gotten after it.  Does a couple weeknight games on his "off nights" from club practices, and Saturday games when we're not travelling for tournaments.  He's really taking a liking to the role, and his transition from "14u player" to "mature, professional-acting umpire" is really fun to watch.  My wife took him to an assignment last week after having not seen him on the field for a couple of months, and was blown away by his confidence and controlled demeanor on the field with a bunch of adults he doesn't know.  I've had a blast working as a crew together on some higher-level 50/70 games and Majors games with him, and he's become a requested umpire for the District from a couple of our local leagues!  Pretty fun to watch them learn and fall in love with something new about this great game.

Thanks for the site, love reading through all the posts and we'll likely be more active members on here through the spring and summer.  Play Ball! 

NateBlue1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Congrats!  That is awesome!  My son is 15, been doing this for 2 years, been to 3 NCAA umpire camps with me, and is already known to assignors in the area.  And I am confident that his passion for it, and his desire to impress the "top dogs" in the area, will keep him on the straight and arrow as he navigates HS these next 4 years.

He loves it and it has really improved our bond as we talk baseball and umpiring and rules all the time.  We need good young umpires and that is awesome that your son is one of them!  Tell him to recruit his friends too, everyone gets excited about young kids who not only like it, but are good at it.

Wish you were in Ohio so our kids could work a game together!  

• Like 3

Nice job!!!  There are quite a few guys on here that have been fortunate enough to have our sons on the flied with us. Great feeling when you see them interacting with adults and being the 'bigger adult'.

• Like 1

I umpired with my Dad through high school.  He went on to umpire in the LLWS. I joined the army, started a career after that and finally started a family. When my son decided he wanted to play baseball, he is currently playing TeeBall, I started umpiring the older divisions when I realized how desperate our league is for volunteers. My Dad and I have been able to umpire a number of games together again and my son gets to play baseball and watch the big kids play which he says is his favorite part(TeeBall is getting boring). 

• Like 3