Wrist Data Bands and B/R question

Rotten
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 738 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I have gotten opposing views on these questions,  I would like to know your view.  Little League Rule Set, are pitchers allowed to wear Data wristbands on their non-throwing arms ?  

Is the Batter/Runner automatically out if he runs back towards Home Plate?

Thanks for your time

13 answers to this question

Simply put little league pitchers are lucky to get a ball over the plate, what the heck are they hoping to accomplish with a pitch selector.

But that argument aside, the catcher gets a pitch from the dugout and relays it to the pitcher. It is a simple process that is complicated by over zealous coaches.

However, to answer your questions 1) if the player was not born with it, then they cannot wear it. 2) there is no rule that a player “has” to reach the next base or cannot run back and forth between home plate and 1st, as long as in the judgement of the umpire it is not leading to a travesty of the game.

Players are not permitted to wear jewelry such as, but not limited to, rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. The only exception is jewelry that alerts medical personnel to a specific condition. If the umpire believes the item to be distracting, then it has to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, BigVic69 said:

Simply put little league pitchers are lucky to get a ball over the plate, what the heck are they hoping to accomplish with a pitch selector.

But that argument aside, the catcher gets a pitch from the dugout and relays it to the pitcher. It is a simple process that is complicated by over zealous coaches.

However, to answer your questions 1) if the player was not born with it, then they cannot wear it. 2) there is no rule that a player “has” to reach the next base or cannot run back and forth between home plate and 1st, as long as in the judgement of the umpire it is not leading to a travesty of the game.

Players are not permitted to wear jewelry such as, but not limited to, rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces. The only exception is jewelry that alerts medical personnel to a specific condition. If the umpire believes the item to be distracting, then it has to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What rule says they can't have a wristband?

Also, "travesty of the game" only happens when running in reverse order (going to a previous base after having obtained a base.) It has nothing to do with running backwards between home and first.

2020 LL RIM rule 1.11(a)(3) Any part of the pitcher’s undershirt or T-shirt exposed to view shall be of a solid color. A pitcher shall not wear any items on his/her hands, wrists, or arms which may be distracting to the batter.

NOTE: BASEBALL: A pitcher shall not wear any items on his/her hands or wrists, or arms which may be distracting to the batter, e.g. sweat bands.

Little League baseball rules are based on Official Baseball Rules (OBR or pro rules). In OBR there is an interpretation that says, “In situations where the batter-runner gets into a rundown between first and home, if the batter-runner retreats and reaches home plate, he shall be declared out.” This interpretation can be found in the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual in Section 6.22 on page 112.

I did check the LL rule book and could not find anything about a batter-runner getting into a rundown between first and home. It is possible that I just missed it but if I didn’t then OBR’s interpretation would cover the situation in Little League ball.

NFHS 2022 - AKA High School Fed rules were modified/clarified this 2022 season to allow the pitcher to take signals, signs etc. from the dugout, as long as he "simulates" taking a sign from the catcher prior to beginning the pitching motion. The directive given in my state is that the wristband, if worn by the pitcher, shall be on the non-throwing arm and shall not be white or a light color. The existing rule for the umpire to have any glove, sleeve or accessory removed that he deems distracting to the batter has not changed.   

3 hours ago, Rotten said:

I have gotten opposing views on these questions,  I would like to know your view.  Little League Rule Set, are pitchers allowed to wear Data wristbands on their non-throwing arms ?  

Is the Batter/Runner automatically out if he runs back towards Home Plate?

Thanks for your time

I don't know of any baseball ruleset where this is true, but it is (sort of) true in many/most softball rulesets - the b/r is out if they retreat to home to delay or avoid a tag - it's treated like INT - b/r out, runners return TOP.   So, it's not "automatic" in that just deciding to run back to home for no reason isn't enough to call them out.  (avoids the issue of a b/r returning to the plate believing they hit a foul ball, for example)

I'm making an assumption that this would/could be true in Little League softball.

1 hour ago, Donny7 said:

AKA High School Fed rules were modified/clarified this 2022 season to allow the pitcher to take signals, signs etc. from the dugout, as long as he "simulates" taking a sign from the catcher prior to beginning the pitching motion.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.  We went over this at our last meeting.

What constitutes a 'simulation' of taking the sign?  Does he have to nod, shake it off (once, twice)? Hesitate a second, two, three?

To me 'simulation' means nod, at a minimum....so what if he doesn't? Am I really going to stop the game and say "Hey, pretend you are getting the pitches from the catcher"! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, aaluck said:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.  We went over this at our last meeting.

What constitutes a 'simulation' of taking the sign?  Does he have to nod, shake it off (once, twice)? Hesitate a second, two, three?

To me 'simulation' means nod, at a minimum....so what if he doesn't? Am I really going to stop the game and say "Hey, pretend you are getting the pitches from the catcher"! 

You will know it when you see it... /s

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, aaluck said:

It’s as simple as making eye contact while on (engaged to) the rubber. 

What NFHS is trying to address and eliminate is, with Runners on, the pitcher receiving “the signs” direct from the bench (either by symbols on posters or audible number matrix) and consulting their wrist-reader while off the rubber (thus “freezing” the Runner(s)), then engaging while focused on the (most crucial) Runner (to limit his lead), then come set and pitch. 

We saw a predecessor to this (in HS ball), especially on R3-R1 situations. The signs would be relayed to the F6, who, under the auspices of giving the defensive “play”, would include the pitch info to the F1 while he’s off the rubber, and the F1 would then engage, come set, and pitch. I could tell, both as PU or as BU, that the F2 wasn’t giving the signs! 

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:11 PM, aaluck said:

The new rule is to avoid a quick pitch. If he doesn't take the sign from the bench while off the rubber, then step on the rubber and quick pitch, there's no violation. I see this new rule as a big "nothing new here". I don't care where he looks or what he pretends to do when he engages the rubber as long as he doesn't quick pitch. 

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, urout17 said:

I work approx 175-200 games each year ranging from 12U thru JUCO.  IMHO, the better teams don't use any of this wristband BS and just play the game. 

I wish I lived in Clearwater Beach, Florida. I wouldn't be doing 200 games a year. :smachhead:

16 hours ago, Richvee said:

as long as he doesn't quick pitch. 

There’s an ancillary problem, Rich, that this new rule is addressing besides a quick pitch… it’s that armed with the sign via card, numeric code, or smoke signal, the F1 isn’t even bothering to look in at the plate… even with a legal set, stop and delivery! 

What was keeping a F1 in check was that he had to get his signs while on the rubber. Now, because of the allowance for these code cards – which are read by a F1 while off the rubber – he potentially doesn’t have anything stopping him from keeping his focus on a Runner, engaging, coming set, and pitching… completely unaware as to how ready the batter, the catcher, or even the umpire is! 

• Like 2