Facemask strap (new umpire)

What mask did you buy please?  Most standard harnesses are the same size, but some are larger.  A lot of guys on here like the UmpLife strap availabe on Ump-Attire.com and the All Star Delta Flex harness is also gaining followers.

• Like 1

I, too, wanna hear what mask you got that has a “too small” strap / harness to it (my guess is either Wilson or Champro). The primary problem with these two brands of standard stock harnesses is how un-elastic their elastic is. Because they don’t expand and contract as much, people they have to keep them rather tight, and then they get really challenging to take off and put on. 

I favor Honig’s, All-Star and even Diamond stock harnesses over Wilson’s, despite (and especially because) the presence of the MLB logo on the back. If you want a little (or a lot) more luxury, then either All-Star’s delta-flex for umpires, or the UmpLife cam-buckle harness is the way to go. I use an All-Star on my FM4000, and UmpLife harnesses on my other three masks. Both of these have rather long, accommodating straps with the right amount of grab.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, MadMax said:

I, too, wanna hear what mask you got that has a “too small” strap / harness to it (my guess is either Wilson or Champro). The primary problem with these two brands of standard stock harnesses is how un-elastic their elastic is. Because they don’t expand and contract as much, people they have to keep them rather tight, and then they get really challenging to take off and put on. 

I favor Honig’s, All-Star and even Diamond stock harnesses over Wilson’s, despite (and especially because) the presence of the MLB logo on the back. If you want a little (or a lot) more luxury, then either All-Star’s delta-flex for umpires, or the UmpLife cam-buckle harness is the way to go. I use an All-Star on my FM4000, and UmpLife harnesses on my other three masks. Both of these have rather long, accommodating straps with the right amount of grab.

You are EXACTLY right.  My wife got me one of those Champro professional all in one type kits.  My friend who is an umpire told me this kit would be solid for a guy who has never done a t-ball game.  so i got every thing going well shoes plate and base, 2 pair of pants 2 polos a pull over and winter type coat. got a couple of hats and this damn mask is freaking covering up my lips nearly because my head is too big

5 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

What mask did you buy please?  Most standard harnesses are the same size, but some are larger.  A lot of guys on here like the UmpLife strap availabe on Ump-Attire.com and the All Star Delta Flex harness is also gaining followers.

it is a champro mask. does that all star delta flex pull your hat off/?

12 hours ago, Coachhimup said:

this looks similar to that ump life one. do you have a problem with the straps getting loose?

Does it pull your hat off?

I use this style of one on my masks. No trouble with it. To the contrary, I think it makes it easier to remove your mask without taking off your hat.

2 hours ago, Coachhimup said:

You are EXACTLY right.  My wife got me one of those Champro professional all in one type kits.  My friend who is an umpire told me this kit would be solid for a guy who has never done a t-ball game.  so i got every thing going well shoes plate and base, 2 pair of pants 2 polos a pull over and winter type coat. got a couple of hats and this damn mask is freaking covering up my lips nearly because my head is too big

Have you loosened it? I’ve never seen a harness that was still too small if you loosened it all the way 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coachhimup said:

this looks similar to that ump life one. do you have a problem with the straps getting loose?

Does it pull your hat off?

The harness comes with clamps and my straps have never come loose yet.  It has yet to pull my mask off.  I think if that occurs then you should adjust your harness lengths.

Honig’s:

https://honigs.com/honig-s-liteweight-harness-black.html

Ump-Attire: 

https://www.ump-attire.com/catalog.html?page=1&perpage=36&cat=0&orderby=relevance desc&brand=&search=Harness

All-Star’s Store: 

https://www.all-starsports.com/fmh2-black.html

I was a champion of the +POS harnesses when +POS was in good standing, since their harnesses were very discreetly branded and they had strap garages. But, currently I cannot direct you to +POS in good faith. 

On a similar note, I cannot direct you to the place that has the stripes-&-peaks logo. They tend to steal products. 

• Like 1

I am a 4 stitch guy by preference, but really it depends on mask/pad combo for safety reasons. 

You don’t want your hat bill to be too close your mask or you run the risk of your pads decompressing on impact into the bill of your hat and transferring that energy right into your forehead. Someone more technical might be able to give you a better measurement. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Coachhimup said:

Another question do most of you use the 6 stitch hat or the 4 stitch hat under your mask??

0 stitches. All-Star Cobalt skully for the win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kylehutson said:

0 stitches. All-Star Cobalt skully for the win.

Me too - with the all black All-Star Delta-Flex harness - LOVE this set-up!!!  I know this pic below isn't with the skully, but it gives the best pic of the all black AS DF harness. Other side pics, etc. are here: https://www.ump-attire.com/Products/FMHPRO-SBK/All-Star-Delta-Flex-Umpire-Mask-Replacement-Harness

image.png.94f17f087f0ec63aa82429acf211fa4e.png