Small upgrades - best bang for the buck

BLWizzRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 821 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Now that the calendar has turned and I am starting to get the bug again, what would be the best bang for the buck to improve my gear?

It goes without saying that I am happy with my gear and don't see any major adjustments or purchases.  But, what would be most beneficial?  A new CP harness?  Mask Pads?  winter gloves? Metal indicator? 

Thanks.

If you're not using an updated harness (if your current one has a plastic thingy on the back, for example) do that first. 

I like the slim, small, Mizuno indicators. They're on eBay and Amazon. 

I went with elastic shoe laces last season. No more looking down to see if my shoes are tied. 

I'm wearing a RoadID bracelet on the field now. It has all my basic contact info on it is very light, and obvious to health care workers. (if you're knocked out, then what? Think about it). I use them on my bike rides/races, and in my LE volunteer gig. Just makes sense. 

• Like 1

The question is .... (should be)...what do you NEED?  I agree w/ Kyle, if you're not using one of the updated harnesses, then that's a good one.  And, ...if you you haven't updated your pads in a while, that's important too.

I'd look at safety first, then comfort, then ... whatever else.  

for me ... I NEED new plate shoes, so that's first on my list for sure

If you sweat alot...can't say enough about the All-Star LUC pads. They have "regular" size and the bigger jaw pad for the Magnesium mask...got a set of each and they absolutely will not take up moisture. The padding/protective value is high also. Even more so with the MAG pads. 

Beyond an upgraded CP harness and decent mask pads I would recommend quality inner soles for your plate shoes.  Neither NB or Smittys shoes come with good versions.  NB are particularly poor. Good inner soles make a big difference IMO. 

Also, add to my recommendation, a personal protection system that works for you.  

• Like 2

Since you mentioned gloves, all my cold gear has been some of the best purchases I’ve made. Nothing worse than being cold. Winter gloves for bases, thin gloves on the plate. Under armour cold gear tops and bottoms. Fleece lined base jacket. I also have one of those hoods/neck gaiters which I wear all the time, even if just around my neck. 

I agree with @Thunderheadslook for safety upgrades first.  Nothing worse than sitting in the ER thinking "If I only would have gotten new (pads/harness/plate shoes, etc.)

Not sure where home is, but @Thatsnotyouhas an excellent point as well. I HATE being cold and on the field it is just a huge distraction.  The fleece Smitty jacket was one of the best investments I have made and last spring upgraded to the Franklin Cold Max gloves.  Great products!

• Like 1

I will throw in my usual in case you don't have one: wear a long and properly fitted throat guard.image.gif.c4bd2c589e22497c2ff49638269dce87.gif

Beyond safety upgrades and said above, one thing I didn't have at first but appreciate now is a lineup holder/game wallet. Adder: A friend shared a template for managing the lineup instead working on the coach given paper - that's been good (and cheap since you just print it out yourself :) ) 

• Like 1

#1 thing I recommend is the All-Start Cobalt skull cap.  Dollar for dollar it's my favorite purchase.  Next I'd recommend the All-Star mag pads (even if you have a steel mask - I do, and love the pads with them).  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, boyinr said:

Beyond an upgraded CP harness and decent mask pads I would recommend quality inner soles for your plate shoes.  Neither NB or Smittys shoes come with good versions.  NB are particularly poor. Good inner soles make a big difference IMO. 

Also, add to my recommendation, a personal protection system that works for you.  

What inner soles do you use and recommend?

11 hours ago, FranklinT said:

What inner soles do you use and recommend?

I like the Power Step if there is room in the shoe.  The other brand that I have used in the NB is the KLM Foot soldier orthotics.