2 man, FED, double play mechanics question PU side

Umpire942

On 1/2/2022 at 10:25 PM, Richvee said:

The only place I’ve ever seen in writing that has BU covering home is the silly 2 man FED mechanic with the bases empty, and batter hits a clean  triple, PU covers third and BU rotates home after BR commits to 3rd from 2B. 
… One of the silliest mechanics out there. 

I love it!  We use to call this mechanic “stealing your banger”.  

On 12/29/2021 at 10:20 AM, Umpire942 said:

Pre pitch i have already signaled i have the play at 3rd if it comes there.  Does that mean overthrow too after im cleaning up second (and partially first) ? i believe so but ill wait and see if im wrong 

After the infield dp ball, the  PU eventually should be up the first base side the mound to get INT or OBS at second base. (also has pull fulled ,swipe tag, and runners lane too, but dont tell the coach that). Other places have taught me the third base side(because of the secondary play)

my question is on if there is an overthrow does the PU try and grab the call at third and BU at second.  or is my secondary position to go home and leave the BU at his peril.  

Or ideally i stay at PU duties, and my BU umpire gets ready at the plate.  obviously this would be a pregame thing.  But who makes the call at third with PU

Yep. It’s a great look if you can get out there. Like you said, best damn well make sure BR has committed to third. 

A follow up to getting outside that looks fantastic… if the ball gets away from F5, and the runner takes a few steps home, you can take a few steps left and get behind the bag, now if he turns back to third you’ve got the wedge look. If he gets too far off third, and gets in a rundown, you have him boxed in with PU. 

All that is great. However, as I get a little older, no matter how well

I stay in shape, I know I’ve lost a step or two, and some of these  late teens/early twenties kids can fly. If I need a few seconds of pause/ read/ react , chances are getting outside diminishes drastically 🤷‍♂️  

• 1 month later...

This all seems to be making something very easy, very confusing. If BU is in the working area, as he should be why can he not make all base calls?

Why have folks running all over the field when we can have one guy in the working area making the calls?  If the BU cannot get to 3rd on an overthrow (as in the OP) he needs to do volleyball from a chair.

6 minutes ago, aaluck said:

This all seems to be making something very easy, very confusing. If BU is in the working area, as he should be why can he not make all base calls?

Why have folks running all over the field when we can have one guy in the working area making the calls?  If the BU cannot get to 3rd on an overthrow (as in the OP) he needs to do volleyball from a chair.

Because the angle sucks and PU is already on the 3B side of the mound anyway. When I had this happen to me last year as PU, my BU was a former D1 player and still couldn't get to an angle that would have worked. Usually, I agree that we should be able to get all our calls out there, but this is one time I think there's a problem with that philosophy (the two mechanics sources for upper levels concur.)

I pre-game the R1 only, ball stays in infield and R1 is safe at 2nd situation, EVERY single game with EVERY single partner when we are in 2-man...

I personally can work with either, but it is important the partners are on the same page.  For me, I try to stick to the manual (NCAA) so I as PU am taking R1 into 3rd because that is what it says to do, and as Matt said, I honestly do have the best angle.

If the argument is that I lose some angle/help on pulled foot/swipe-tag, then to me this is just the ol' "hole in 2-man".  If you only employ 2 umpires, you can't expect perfect angles on every call, just the way it is.  

24 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

If you only employ 2 umpires, you can't expect perfect angles on every call, just the way it is.  

From your mouth to the coaches ears.