Batter or catcher interference

Guest Ray

Question

17 answers to this question

I got batter interference because he moved witch caused the throw to hit the bat. He is out and runner returns to second is what I would call. People on tik tok are saying it is nothing because the batters box is some sort of safety box he can stay in lol. I brought it here because you guys know what you are doing and knew I would get good advice 

Definitely not CI

To me, that’s a whole lot of nothing.  The rule says “a movement other than a swing that hinders the catchers ability to make a play”.

does the batter moving away from the path a catcher throws to 3rd (towards Mound/infield) constitute a hindrance to him throwing?

Watch the catcher, he makes no step at all to clear the batter.  If that’s BI, I am coaching my son, who is a catcher, to just throw at the batter henceforth 

5 hours ago, Guest Ray said:

I got batter interference because he moved witch caused the throw to hit the bat. He is out and runner returns to second is what I would call. People on tik tok are saying it is nothing because the batters box is some sort of safety box he can stay in lol. I brought it here because you guys know what you are doing and knew I would get good advice 

Movement by itself is not INT.  Hindrance to ability to make a play is INT.  Hitting the bat is a fluke, but if I could coach my catcher to hit the bat with his throws, I’d get 100% outs on every steal ?

Did he move into the path of catcher?  He actually moved away from catchers path. 

32 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

Did he move into the path of catcher?  He actually moved away from catchers path. 

Irrelevant. Just as irrelevant as the fallacy that the batters box is a safe haven. 
“ or making any other movement which hinders the catchers ability to make a play”. 

Doesn't matter which way he moved , his bat  moved into the path of the throw. His bat hindered the throw. The batter is responsible for his bat. If he stands still, and the throw hits the bat we have a big nothing. Not the case here. He moved after his attempt to hit the ball, and hindered the throw. 

• Like 1

2021 OBR  6.03 Batter Illegal Action

(a) A batter is out for illegal action when:

(3) He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base.

From the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.42, p. 127):

“In addition to stepping out of the batter’s box, interference may be interpreted as any unnatural movement by the batter or his bat within the batter’s box…”

From the 2016 BRD (section 280, p. 182) OBR:  Authoritative Opinion:  Evans:  The batter is obligated to avoid making any movement which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher’s play in any way. A swing which carries the batter over home plate and subsequently complicates the catcher’s play or attempted play should be ruled interference. Contact between the batter and catcher does not necessarily have to occur for interference to be ruled. Merely blocking the catcher’s vision to second base may very possibly be interference. (JEA/6:46)

2019 Case Book Play 7.3.6 Situation: “…because B1 is responsible for controlling his bat and not allowing it to interfere with a defensive player attempting a play…”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

2021 OBR  6.03 Batter Illegal Action

(a) A batter is out for illegal action when:

(3) He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base.

From the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.42, p. 127):

“In addition to stepping out of the batter’s box, interference may be interpreted as any unnatural movement by the batter or his bat within the batter’s box…”

From the 2016 BRD (section 280, p. 182) OBR:  Authoritative Opinion:  Evans:  The batter is obligated to avoid making any movement which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher’s play in any way. A swing which carries the batter over home plate and subsequently complicates the catcher’s play or attempted play should be ruled interference. Contact between the batter and catcher does not necessarily have to occur for interference to be ruled. Merely blocking the catcher’s vision to second base may very possibly be interference. (JEA/6:46)

2019 Case Book Play 7.3.6 Situation: “…because B1 is responsible for controlling his bat and not allowing it to interfere with a defensive player attempting a play…”

It wasn't an unnatural movement.

9 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I think 'unnatural" is interpreted to mean something like "not associated with a normal swing"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

That’s cherry picking part of a rule. Nowhere is it even remotely implied that the movement must be unnatural. 
“ …..or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base”

18 hours ago, Richvee said:

That’s cherry picking part of a rule. Nowhere is it even remotely implied that the movement must be unnatural. 

Mr. Blue posted it as a quote from the 2021 minor league ump manual. I think that overrides your comment about "nowhere . . remotely implied". :)

From the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.42, p. 127):

I am pretty sure the rules committee was not thinking of something from the Ministry of Silly Walks when they used the word unnatural. From dictionary.com (one of the six meanings given for the word unnatural)

Unnatural--at variance with what is normal or to be expected:

WORDS RELATED TO UNNATURAL

abnormal, bizarre, incredible, odd, outlandish, outrageous, perverse, preposterous, stilted, strange, ersatz, extraordinary unusual, affected, aberrant, anomalous, assumed, concocted, contrary, contrived, 

2019 NFHS Case Book Play 7.3.5 Situation E:  With less than two outs, R2 and B2 at the plate, R2 attempts to steal third. In the process, B2, who bats right-handed, after swinging or not swinging at the pitch, (a) makes no attempt to get out of the way of F2 throwing to third or (b) is unable to make an attempt to get out of the way of F2 throwing to third. As a result, F2 cannot make a play on the runner. Is B2 out, and must R2 return to second? RULING:  B2 is not guilty of interference in (a) or (b). B2 is entitled to his position in the batter’s box and is not subject to being penalized for interference unless he moves or re-establishes his position after F2 has received the pitch, which then prevents F2 from attempting to play on a runner. Failing to move so F2 can make a throw is not batter interference.

In the video the batter moved and put his bat in the catcher’s throwing lane which was then hit by the catcher’s throw—that’s interference with his bat which is also part of the MiLBUM cite.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:
18 hours ago, Richvee said:

Mr. Blue posted it as a quote from the 2021 minor league ump manual. I think that overrides your comment about "nowhere . . remotely implied". :)

On 12/25/2021 at 11:06 PM, Senor Azul said:

interference may be interpreted as any unnatural movement by the batter or his bat within the batter’s box…”

From the 2016 BRD (section 280, p. 182) OBR:  Authoritative Opinion:  Evans:  The batter is obligated to avoid making any movement which obstructs, impedes, or hinders the catcher’s play in any way.

Exact degrees of "remote" ad "implied" aside 😉 there is a difference between "may" vs. "must" / "obligated". My read is tat the movement isn't automatically protected, even if natural.

The way I see the batter coached is "be a statue".

On 12/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, noumpere said:

I think 'unnatural" is interpreted to mean something like "not associated with a normal swing"

The interp's reference to an unnatural movement is another example of batter INT; the previous clause mentions stepping out of the box.

These are not the only examples, so the fact that the OP batter's action does not satisfy either description is not sufficient to show that it's not batter INT.

It can be helpful to focus on what the batter INT rule is aiming to protect: the batter has an opportunity to swing at the pitch, and to complete that action. That's what he's there for, and if that's all he does and he happens to get in F2's way and hinder the throw, too bad for the defense. (Safe signal + "That's nothing!")

If he does anything else AND hinders F2's play, then he's liable for batter INT. 

I believe that this approach to the rule explains all the classic examples of batter INT (stepping out, ducking to avoid, moving around in the box, "unnatural movement," etc.).

• Like 1

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.