Time Limits - How to manage

Vegas_Ump

In a preceding thread called "Constant Pitching Changes", the theme was focused on a game with time limits.  In Little League (where I umpire) mostly we do have time limits.  But watch out for unnecessary delays between inning!

Have a player ready to warm up the pitcher.  Get them out smartly to warm up.

Teach the catcher to get his gear on quickly.  

I have lots of war stories on this topic, but laziness is never an excuse to delay the resumption of play.  Keep things moving, and you may actually get six full innings in.

Merry Christmas!

Mike

Las Vegas

One minute for warm-up pitches.  I'm not saying time it with a clock/watch but keep it short.  I've seen umps allow 4 or 5 minutes or more between half-innings, that's crazy.

Keep the time short (reduce the number of warm-up pitches as needed) and the teams will get the message.

21 hours ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Have a player ready to warm up the pitcher.  Get them out smartly to warm up.

Teach the catcher to get his gear on quickly.

VU, are you directing this advice towards us (fellow umpires), or to coaches and/or parents? 

If the latter, good advice!

If the former… uhm, it’s not really our duty / role / place to do all this cat wrangling. 

21 hours ago, Vegas_Ump said:

But watch out for unnecessary delays between inning!

This is predominately within our control, especially when we realize how much / often we (potentially) talk to the fence, the coaches, or even to our partner without any grasp of how much time keeps on slippin’, slippin’, slippin’… into the fuuuutuuuure. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, Vegas_Ump said:

But watch out for unnecessary delays between inning!

I find that this is often the biggest time waster in games. When training umpires, I emphasize keeping the between inning time to a minimum. There are up to 13 inning changes in a 7 inning game. If an umpire spends even an extra 2 minutes per inning BS'ing with the crowd, coaches, partner etc, that tacks on an additional 26 minutes to the game. I teach that umpiring is not a social event, and you're not running for office, so keep the chit chat down. We don't get paid by the hour, so get the game moving. Agree with MadMax's advice in the first part of his post.

You're there to work a game, and there is plenty of time to BS afterwards.

• Like 4

Look, you can eliminate all this nonsense with a simple rule change that I was able to make at our local many years ago. 

One more inning after x minutes. In our only minors that keeps score (9-10's), it's 90 minutes. Once you hit 90 minutes, you're going to play one more inning. We've used this for over a dozen years, and it really works. It stopped all the stalling, etc. 

Do understand that in Majors in above there are no time limits (okay, there's a few exceptions)

As for 60 between innings, that's all on the coaches. If they're organized (yeah, I know), they can dress a catcher in 10 seconds). But if a dugout has three adults standing around, with a catcher in the dugout struggling to find/install the tools of ignorance, I'm going to, in a very LOUD voice, remind them of their duties. (understand that we've had this conversation in the manager's preseason meeting already). 

Actually, in 2020, LL's Regional Roundtables passed allowing time limits (1:45 or longer) in all divisions of player pitch BB and SB during the Regular Season. 

Time limits in lower levels can be less than 1:45, up to the local league.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:57 AM, Lou B said:

Actually, in 2020, LL's Regional Roundtables passed allowing time limits (1:45 or longer) in all divisions of player pitch BB and SB during the Regular Season. 

Time limits in lower levels can be less than 1:45, up to the local league.

Did this make the rulebook for 2021? I musta missed it. If so, did they outline how the game would end? Drop dead, one more inning after, etc?

4 minutes ago, kylejt said:

Did this make the rulebook for 2021? I musta missed it. If so, did they outline how the game would end? Drop dead, one more inning after, etc?

From 2021 LL baseball rule book (about counting as a regulation game):

4.10 (c)(2) - Local League Option: If the game has been played for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Any inning which has been started prior to the time limit expiring will be completed. No new inning will begin once the time limit has expired.
A.R. – District Administrators administering interleague play activities and local Little League programs may establish a minimum 2-hour time limit for games in Intermediate (50-70) Division/Junior/Senior League.

9 hours ago, ousafe said:

From 2021 LL baseball rule book (about counting as a regulation game):

4.10 (c)(2) - Local League Option: If the game has been played for 1 hour and 45 minutes. Any inning which has been started prior to the time limit expiring will be completed. No new inning will begin once the time limit has expired.
A.R. – District Administrators administering interleague play activities and local Little League programs may establish a minimum 2-hour time limit for games in Intermediate (50-70) Division/Junior/Senior League.

Ugg, "no new inning". This is a conduit for stalling and other nonsense. I know that WP really doesn't care much about anything other than THE TOURNAMENT, but they shoulda thought better about this. 

But thanks for pointing this out. Lots got lost in the shuffle last year. 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't do any time limit games...but if I did, I think the best thing to do is be very literal about it and not inject myself into legal 'delay' tactics that another team might be using regardless of pressure from fans, the opposing team, etc...

If they want the rule changed, they can change it at the league level....not put yet another thing on the umpire.