You might be an Umpire if...

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 704 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

One of my tasks at work is to visit potential project sites for the preparation of proposals.  Worked on one today with eight different sites spread out over a couple of counties.  When reviewing the Google Earth KML file with the sites marked I found myself thinking:

"OK.  This one is near so and so field.  Easy to find.  This one is just down the street from such and such park.  And this is around the corner from Here and There Township Park."

Five of the eight were near fields where I typically work.  

Umpiring experience made the entire day so much more efficient.

Anyone else have any "You Might Be an Umpire If..." experiences?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ousafe said:

When your wife is discussing something in a prolonged manner and you interrupt her with "Hey skip, did you have a question?"

Nope... just Nope  I married an Irish blooded red head..  I don't play games like that.

Ever seen crumbs on a table and go "Damn I wish I had my plate brush"

• Haha 3

Whenever I take off/land from the local airport, I try to spot and identify as many high schools as I can by the baseball field/HS layout. Point them out to the wife. She’s somehow not impressed. 

I’ll observe fields near the other airports in other states. “Oh, that looks like it’s a nice field”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, Ump Man Do said:

You rush home after work to make sure that you get the latest delivery from Ump-Attire before the wife gets home and see it.  Trying to avoid the inevitable  "What are you getting now?  Don't you already have everything".

This is why you ship things to your office!

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm different .....

Yes, I love baseball, and yes I love to umpire, and, while some of these are truly funny, and I get it, I really do .... it's just not me, meaning, the baseball-umpiring part of my life doesn't find itself entangled in any every day stuff as mentioned above.  Like for instance, I'm taking a quick break before my 3pm meeting (yes, some numbskull scheduled a 3pm friday meeting 🙄) but ...  It's January, and yes, I have a camp coming up next month that will be fun as it always is, but ...I'm not looking outside at the snow thinking to myself "wow, I wish I had a game today" 

But that's just me

ALL THAT SAID .... You might be an umpire if:  For no reason, you drop to your plate stance, pretend a pitch is coming in, and go through your timing and strike mechanic!   I'll do that on a rare occasion ... :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Thunderheads said:

I guess I'm different .....

Yes, I love baseball, and yes I love to umpire, and, while some of these are truly funny, and I get it, I really do .... it's just not me, meaning, the baseball-umpiring part of my life doesn't find itself entangled in any every day stuff as mentioned above.  Like for instance, I'm taking a quick break before my 3pm meeting (yes, some numbskull scheduled a 3pm friday meeting 🙄) but ...  It's January, and yes, I have a camp coming up next month that will be fun as it always is, but ...I'm not looking outside at the snow thinking to myself "wow, I wish I had a game today" 

But that's just me

ALL THAT SAID .... You might be an umpire if:  For no reason, you drop to your plate stance, pretend a pitch is coming in, and go through your timing and strike mechanic!   I'll do that on a rare occasion ... :D 

This helps avoid burnout, too. When it’s baseball season, it’s baseball season. I get excited when I get a schedule in December, but then I occupy myself with other hobbies in the off-season. 

• Like 1

You might be an umpire if you see some sort of argument going on anywhere (Costco parking lot, Starbucks, etc) then throw up your hands and yell "TIME!"

I did that once in a bar, where two patrons were about to throw down. So startingly it was that everyone stopped and revaluated the dumb situation (including myself). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

When the wife hits you on the back of the head in the middle of the night to wake you up as she says, "you're not at the ball park, stop umpiring!" 

(I've been known to loudly call games in my sleep.)

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 10:56 AM, Velho said:

Tip of the cap to @BLWizzRanger...

You start sentences with "'In my judgement"

In my line of work (engineer) this can be a perfectly valid way to make comments, because like umpiring there is a lot of judgment calls in engineering.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, BlueRanger said:

This here is the REAL difference between a guy who's had 1 year of experience 20 times and 20 years of experience :cool:

I just got a mail box at the local personal box mailing store, they accept everything and sign for it then text and email me the tracking numbers 😁😁😁