Another interesting new chest protector...

wolfe_man
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 824 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just saw this one today.  Very interesting.  I'll have to find out more about their Air Management Technology (AMT), but with a 5-section waist area it should wrap around you very well.

And at $96.95 83.00 shipped you can't beat the price.  Three size options, 13" to 16", should cover the ribs on almost all umpires too.  That neck roll is very comfortable and is found on Douglas and Wilson Gold CP's. It makes getting that CP up under your chin more comfortable with less chafing.

Features
  • 13” - medium
  • 14” - large
  • 16” - x-large
  • Air management technology
  • Exterior contour molded 3mm PE armor (3mm is 0.11 inches)
  • Adjustable pectoral pads
  • Full shoulder coverage
  • 5-way adjustable harness

The plated umpire chest protector from Champro utilizes Air Management Technology to evenly distribute impact force from stray balls, providing ultimate protection behind the plate. Easily adjust for the ideal fit and comfort of this chest protector with the adjustable pectoral pads and the 5-way adjustable harness equipped with durable T-hook clips.

https://www.anthem-sports.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4f94519037f8f1ba26d5982c331c16e9/a/3/a32-895-chart.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/2/2021 at 2:09 PM, The Short Umpire said:

seems identical to the WV gold.

“Seems”? Guys, it is an unlabeled Gold. Since this is a Champro and not a Champion, my bet is that it’s using the same couch-cushion-crap-foam the Gold uses. Champro merely commissioned a few alterations to it, threw their swashbuckling “C” on there, and is trotting it out at one helluva bargain. 

Really, look at a Gold and this latest Champro sitting side by side. What’s missing off the Champro that’s attributable to about $100 difference? Hint: it’s the size of a postage stamp, and means nothing to an enlightened umpire. 

15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

“Seems”? Guys, it is an unlabeled Gold. Since this is a Champro and not a Champion, my bet is that it’s using the same couch-cushion-crap-foam the Gold uses. Champro merely commissioned a few alterations to it, threw their swashbuckling “C” on there, and is trotting it out at one helluva bargain. 

Really, look at a Gold and this latest Champro sitting side by side. What’s missing off the Champro that’s attributable to about $100 difference? Hint: it’s the size of a postage stamp, and means nothing to an enlightened umpire. 

"But Max," we all say. "It CAN'T be a Gold. It says 'Air Management Systems on it. And we all know there is not managing any kind of air inside a Wilson Gold."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

And we all know there is not managing any kind of air inside a Wilson Gold.

I call shenanigans! Bullhockey shenanigans! Must I point you towards the second of the two “new” Gold II’s???? The first one gets memory foam (it remembers where you got hit for you!), while the second one has been dubbed “Air Management System” foam. 

It’s the same d@mn3d f#€kin’ sofa 🛋 cushion foam they’ve been using for the past 25 years!!

At least Champro has the decency to price it accordingly! 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, kylejt said:

I do like their smart marketing idea of placing their logo at the neck line. (are your reading this Matt?)

I'm sure some here will be putting duct tape over that, though. 

Even better... someone buys a Wilson logo and covers it!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, The Short Umpire said:

Mine showed up today. Played with it a bit but I'll give a full review in a few days.

No unboxing/1st impressions video?

We TOTALLY got spoiled with the awesome marketing job by the people at Ump-Attire with the roll out of the Cobalt.

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

No unboxing/1st impressions video?

We TOTALLY got spoiled with the awesome marketing job by the people at Ump-Attire with the roll out of the Cobalt.

Sorry, you'll get what you get... I'd rather give a thorough thought out response as opposed to a snap judgment. I think that would be more beneficial overall.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Short Umpire said:

Sorry, you'll get what you get... I'd rather give a thorough thought out response as opposed to a snap judgment. I think that would be more beneficial overall.

No worries. I actually enjoyed both. Seeing what people thought of it right out of the box. Then being able to see their thoughts on it once they got to mess with it a bit or being able to actually use it.

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2021 at 1:25 PM, The Short Umpire said:

Any update? I just ordered one so I’ll see what it’s like too 

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I work at Amazon so I just got off 60 hour weeks and lost track of time. Here are my thoughts though. 

Out of the box it is extremely similar to the WV gold. In all, if you want a cheap option with good protection this one is up there. It comes with the standard harness that should be thrown away on arrival. A flex harness really improves this CP and I think it will live in my car during the HS season for a couple reasons. 1. I don’t have a garage so if my car gets broken into I won’t cry if it gets stolen like I would if one of my frankensteins was stolen. 2. The fit is good enough to look presentable at a game. 

So the first picture is of me in a WV gold TW. Second picture is a regular Gold and third is the champro. So there is of course quite a difference in profile but for me the trade off is worth it. I now have a complete that I’m not worried about losing. 

As far as differences go, the champro has a larger shoulder pad and utilizes the WV platinum style gap protection. It is wider and flatter than the WV gold as well. I purchased the medium. 

Otherwise it is very similar and I think is a good CP. I think this would work fine for pretty much anyone. I might like it more than my champion too and am happier with it than my Cobalt. 

D91805A8-302B-4AA2-BD0B-4378622F979F.jpeg

BC044434-A683-42C4-95B2-111AD214FF9F.jpeg

37516386-9AB4-4E76-80C0-3A8A85685985.jpeg

DD061CB4-0856-4269-960A-59C1AF292CDC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1