Looks Like Wilson is finally upgrading there equipment

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 662 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

5 minutes ago, Richvee said:

I dragged my feet on a TW upgrade and regret it to this day. When the time comes, I will be trying at least a force 3, Cobalt, and a new gold. I’m thinking in a year or two.

KNOW THAT FEELING! I decided to pull the trigger on the Gold conversion but had to wait a month for the funds. Of course in that time they cancel the program. And decided I want to do my Gold shin guards exactly one day after they decide to stop doing those.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Short Umpire said:

Besides a Power and Allstar S7 I’ve tried almost every chest protector. I’ve frankensteined many of them and am currently working on another. The TW gold is one of my all time favorites. The difference between a regular gold and TW gold is night and day, and if this updated gold is anything like the TW gold it’s worth every penny. A WV gold with TW could easily sell for $600 and that is if you could even find one for sell. If they are anything a like this could put one of the best CP in the hands of umpires everywhere for a fraction of the cost (even at $250). I ordered one because I want to try it. Just like I tried the cobalt and hated it and just like I tried the force 3 and hated it. Sounds like @tpatience knows more. Any idea on how it compares to the TW gold? 

To this day, the best chest protector I’ve worn is the TW power. Fits me perfectly. A very close second though is the F3 V2 with Wilson plates. I loved that thing but I got rid of it to make room for the TW power I now have(good trade IMO, lol) If I had to choose the new Wilson, I’d use the gray one just because of the new “updated” padding. And I like the looks of the gray on black. But I’m vertically gifted and it would be too short so I’m sticking with my TW power, which is a real tough choice lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder if this will be extended to the Platinum as well.  Not that it matters for me as they do not make the 13" model anymore, so I can't see them offering retrofit pads for that size.

If they do offer the pads for retrofitting, I can see that it will be pretty pricey. Have to make the $$ some way.

7 hours ago, tpatience said:

To this day, the best chest protector I’ve worn is the TW power. Fits me perfectly. A very close second though is the F3 V2 with Wilson plates. I loved that thing but I got rid of it to make room for the TW power I now have(good trade IMO, lol) If I had to choose the new Wilson, I’d use the gray one just because of the new “updated” padding. And I like the looks of the gray on black. But I’m vertically gifted and it would be too short so I’m sticking with my TW power, which is a real tough choice lol

I have a force 3 V1 with Wilson charcoal plates. It’s been my go to for the last year. Just acquired my TW gold that is slightly better. I’m pretty pumped to get ahold of this new Wilson just to see how it compares. 

10 minutes ago, Scissors said:

Takes them 5 years to make some new pads and they can't even offer longer sizes...the platinum I owned didn't cover all my ribs and I doubt the gold would either. I'm not even that tall. 

Yeah, I'm 6'1", and the larger Platinum left one rib exposed. Always a bit uneasy after cracking a rib in a different situation, and knowing how painful that was. 

Now look at the System 7, with the little dip on each side, which actually covered my last rib. Genius. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kylejt said:

Yeah, I'm 6'1", and the larger Platinum left one rib exposed. Always a bit uneasy after cracking a rib in a different situation, and knowing how painful that was. 

Now look at the System 7, with the little dip on each side, which actually covered my last rib. Genius. 

I tried out the F3 and hated it, but one thing I'll say is I loved how long it was. 18" covered almost my whole stomach, it was great. 

On 11/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, tpatience said:

I'm almost curious how much the Gold does cover on you? Most of us normies it is the bottom rib.  Wonder if it is more for those of you that can touch the clouds?

6 hours ago, kylejt said:

This was the reason I finally moved off of my Gold. Cracked two ribs at work and I will never forget (and still deal with some of the after effects) how much they hurt. And those were no where near the bottom of the rib cage.

I've said this before. One of my favorite features of the S7 were those extentions! (Now if only they had made the neck opening larger!) So much so, that I moved the pectoral pads on my Cobalt into the same position as the S7. Simply genius. 

11 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I'm almost curious how much the Gold does cover on you? Most of us normies it is the bottom rib.  Wonder if it is more for those of you that can touch the clouds?

I haven’t worn a gold in a while but I felt pretty exposed with it on. Don’t remember exactly what it covered 

L/XL Gold covers my ribs, but I'm only 5-10 or 5-11.  I'm down to about 220 now but I feel very safe with it on, it's bulletproof.  I have switched to mostly using the F3 V3 though because it's so much more lower profile.  I still like my Gold sans wings though.

50 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

The odd thing here is Wilson's website, as well as no other retailers, have made any mention of the new & improved product. Only one retailer is mentioning it and selling future shipments.

I wonder if this is an Out West - All Star Cobalt kind of thing? Where they shared the product prematurely. 

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Can't believe @MadMax hasn't chimed in here .... however, ...he may still be in the middle of constructing his epic response! :lol:

49 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

That or else he had an aneurysm upon hearing the news.

This will be fun! If it isn't a full page long, something is wrong. Lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I wonder if this is an Out West - All Star Cobalt kind of thing? Where they shared the product prematurely. 

First thing I thought also.

7 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

This will be fun! If it isn't a full page long, something is wrong. Lol

Or maybe he is still in shock from disbelief? Literally stunned speechless?

This is not some special exclusive. I saw these in the 2022 Wilson catalog two months ago. All retailer should be getting them around February-ish… Purchase Officials just decided to do a pre-order… Probably just trying to generate some buzz.  Platinum is discontinued as well as the the triple knee black shinguards and the gray shinguards. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/25/2021 at 11:51 PM, ousafe said:

So does "air management" mean anything beyond "legacy style foam"? I don't see anything obvious promoting air flow.

I had heard that it was supposed to be like the Force 3 with plates, the looks of it it's nothing at all like what they were saying. By they, I mean some umpires that I work with.

It would have been really cool if Wilson had figured out to extend the bottom a little bit more. The week that I changed from the original Platinum to the Cobalt I took three gut shots and didn't feel a thing, whereas if I had been wearing the Platinum I would have felt every last one.

22 hours ago, Ump242 said:

I had heard that it was supposed to be like the Force 3 with plates, the looks of it it's nothing at all like what they were saying. By they, I mean some umpires that I work with.

They were conducting some extremely wishful thinking. 

The entire reason a Force3 UnEqual CP costs as much as it does is the Kevlar-infused foam laminate (sandwich) inside. The primary disadvantage to Kevlar is that it (rapidly) decays in UV light, so it has to be jacketed in a non-UV-permeable fabric, in this case, neoprene. Thus, the plates are internal… which doesn’t convince the Doubting Thomas -crowd. Also, where the Force3 underperforms is when an on-body fit isn’t achieved. If it’s worn loose, an impact just propels the CP against the body in a big ol’ SLAP! and you’re left wondering, “I thought I wasn’t going to feel anything?” 

So the vaunted Force3 has some flaws, but it has that low profile, non-bulky aspect that makes it so desirable. However, so do the Champion P2xx’s, the Schutt-Adams XV’s, and the All-Star Cobalts. 

What Wilson just refuses to grasp is that all these low-profile units are employing multi-layer, advanced foam laminates. Using a chunk of upholstery foam ain’t the answer… and neither will be one continuous sheet of memory foam. 

And that “air management system”? It’s a marketing term… which amounts to a lie… 

… unless I’m proven otherwise. 

Get my carpet knife.