Looks Like Wilson is finally upgrading there equipment

mw94

Known about this for a while… The gray pad is supposed to be low profile and memory foam. The other protector is going to have the same padding as the original…don’t quote me on that on..

This has been in the works for about 4 to 5 years it’s just taking them alot of time for some reason…

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

@MadMax Wilson played, your move. 

In all fairness, it’s a Gold with new padding for $50-70 more than the Cobalt… hard to get super excited personally.

95D76813-771A-4D37-B768-6BCA30238A0D.jpeg

In fairness... if you go to the Wilson website and look up the cost of a Gold on there, it is around $230-240. Though we all know they retail everywhere for $150ish. I am willing to bet this will be in that $170-180 range at your favorite umpire retail site.

Like I told Trevor when he showed me this graphic a few weeks ago. The grey pad behind the black plates looks sharp.

Count me as intrigued. This is long over due. Upgraded low profile padding and a neoprene harness?  Who would have thought that was even possible?  Not sold on the magnetic buckles on the first pass 

• Like 1

Having just acquired a lightly used Force3 V3, I'm not interested in being an early adopter to these changes at that price point. HOWEVER, I would love to be able to purchase the new low-profile padding to retrofit my existing Gold.

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 11:51 PM, ousafe said:

So does "air management" mean anything beyond "legacy style foam"? I don't see anything obvious promoting air flow.

I am picturing something along the lines the air channel design much like the Cobalt or System7. 

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Having just acquired a lightly used Force3 V3, I'm not interested in being an early adopter to these changes at that price point. HOWEVER, I would love to be able to purchase the new low-profile padding to retrofit my existing Gold.

That would be really cool. But highly doubtful they would EVER do that short of having to buy the whole unit. Then it wouldn't make sense to then move it to a previous Gold.

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

@BT_Blue.... this is the second reply to the OP

This is off the Wilson website I believe. Not Ump-Attire.

If you look up the MSRP of a Wilson Gold by Wilson, they suggest something around $230 or so. While everywhere in the world sells the thing around $160.

I was curious if he had any guesses what it would actually sell for once it comes to market.

EDIT: My bad! Didn't realize the link was from Purchase Officials Supplies. The extra $60 feels pretty steep to me.

So they "updated" their shin guards, and still have that flap that EVERYONE saws off. 

I wonder if it's velcroed in, with an option to remove it. That would be an update. 

It's akin to those dopey arm flaps that used to be supplied. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 1:57 PM, Chris Hickman said:

This has been in the works for about 4 to 5 years it’s just taking them alot of time for some reason…

4 or 5 years in the works, and THIS is all they do? Toss in some Sketcher's foam, put on a harness we're all using anyways, and some magnetic buckles? Not even a new look? 

It's still a quality rig, and a viable option IF you don't have a quality rig already. But, IMO, not one would change to if you already are wearing a good c/p. Nothing new here, I'm afraid. 

"That's shame"  - J. Seinfeld. 

And some day, someone will make a new and improved c/p in a different color for marketing purposes. Right now we're all guessing what the MLB guys are using, and sometimes get a peek when the don a plate coat. But we sure as hell know when a Carlucci is sported, don't we? And it doesn't have to be Riddell orange, either. Maybe just cobalt blue...........................(man they missed a great chance there. I mean, it was in their @#$@#$% name, for gosh sakes!)

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 11:42 AM, Badger said:

This seems like a no brainer. All of us with Golds would likely give some thought to buying the new pads. But I’d think it’s a small percentage that will buy the whole thing when we have half of it already. I think they’d make more money overall by offering to sell the pads separately. 

25 minutes ago, Thatsnotyou said:

This seems like a no brainer. All of us with Golds would likely give some thought to buying the new pads. But I’d think it’s a small percentage that will buy the whole thing when we have half of it already. I think they’d make more money overall by offering to sell the pads separately. 

The problem here is that I guarantee 75% of the people who own a gold couldn’t tell you what size they own, and even if they do I’ve seen differences in sizes based on how old the CP is. So it would really be a logistical nightmare to purchase and have to deal with returns of wrong sizes. This is why you had to send your CP to TW for retrofit. 

1 hour ago, The Short Umpire said:

The problem here is that I guarantee 75% of the people who own a gold couldn’t tell you what size they own, and even if they do I’ve seen differences in sizes based on how old the CP is. So it would really be a logistical nightmare to purchase and have to deal with returns of wrong sizes. This is why you had to send your CP to TW for retrofit. 

Good points, but I wish they could work that out. I have a Gold and I love it. That said, it’s going on it’s 9 th season and I’m starting to think about my next CP. As much as I like it, I’m not interested in a upgraded gold when I can get a Cobalt for less, or a force 3 for a couple bucks more. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kylejt said:

So they "updated" their shin guards, and still have that flap that EVERYONE saws off. 

I wonder if it's velcroed in, with an option to remove it. That would be an update. 

It's akin to those dopey arm flaps that used to be supplied. 

Bought the grey shins last year. Flap was attached by Velcro and removed. 

prodect description: 

• Removable/Adjustable hook and loop toe cap

21 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Good points, but I wish they could work that out. I have a Gold and I love it. That said, it’s going on it’s 9 th season and I’m starting to think about my next CP. As much as I like it, I’m not interested in a upgraded gold when I can get a Cobalt for less, or a force 3 for a couple bucks more. 

Besides a Power and Allstar S7 I’ve tried almost every chest protector. I’ve frankensteined many of them and am currently working on another. The TW gold is one of my all time favorites. The difference between a regular gold and TW gold is night and day, and if this updated gold is anything like the TW gold it’s worth every penny. A WV gold with TW could easily sell for $600 and that is if you could even find one for sell. If they are anything a like this could put one of the best CP in the hands of umpires everywhere for a fraction of the cost (even at $250). I ordered one because I want to try it. Just like I tried the cobalt and hated it and just like I tried the force 3 and hated it. Sounds like @tpatience knows more. Any idea on how it compares to the TW gold? 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, The Short Umpire said:

Besides a Power and Allstar S7 I’ve tried almost every chest protector. I’ve frankensteined many of them and am currently working on another. The TW gold is one of my all time favorites. The difference between a regular gold and TW gold is night and day, and if this updated gold is anything like the TW gold it’s worth every penny. A WV gold with TW could easily sell for $600 and that is if you could even find one for sell. If they are anything a like this could put one of the best CP in the hands of umpires everywhere for a fraction of the cost (even at $250). I ordered one because I want to try it. Just like I tried the cobalt and hated it and just like I tried the force 3 and hated it. Sounds like @tpatience knows more. Any idea on how it compares to the TW gold? 

I dragged my feet on a TW upgrade and regret it to this day. When the time comes, I will be trying at least a force 3, Cobalt, and a new gold. I’m thinking in a year or two.