Dumb ballbag question...

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 674 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

38 minutes ago, Scissors said:

How do you keep your baseballs and brush from falling out while running? I find myself just holding the bag while I run so I don't lose them. For reference, I use the wooden handle brush which is inside the ballbag pocket.

38 minutes ago, Scissors said:

How do you keep your baseballs and brush from falling out while running? I find myself just holding the bag while I run so I don't lose them. For reference, I use the wooden handle brush which is inside the ballbag pocket.

2 hours ago, Scissors said:

How do you keep your baseballs and brush from falling out while running?

Simple – don’t run. You’re a Plate Umpire, aintcha? Why are you leaving the plate in a big hurry? 

… 

… 

Yes, sarcasm guys. Should probably flag it. 🏴‍☠️ 
… 

Anyway, I prefer Honig’s K40 ball bags. Much more voluminous than Smitty’s. Champro’s are a joke. I make a routine of having 4 in the right one, and 2-3 in the left, along with my umpire folder, pen, and plate brush. I cannot get the hang of putting the umpire folder or a lineup card in the chest pocket. On that note, I have stretched the load of baseballs during MLB / MiLB Spring Training, when I’ve gotta have two different types of baseballs queued up, in quantity, otherwise pitching coaches get upset. So, I’ll have six of one type in the right, six in the left. In fairness, on these games, I don’t need my lineup card folder or pen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

MLB / MiLB Spring Training, when I’ve gotta have two different types of baseballs queued up, in quantity, otherwise pitching coaches get upset

Hey @MadMax, can you educate us/me on why two types? Are MLB and MiLB balls different?

I used to wear two bags but never have more than 3-4 baseballs, so now I use just one bag.  Also, I use the Smitty expandable (XL) bags and I've never had a baseball get out while I'm running.  I use the plastic plate brush (fits easier) and my UmpLife lineup wallet in the top of it too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tpatience said:

Big league pitchers wouldn’t dare pitch with a MILB ball. Are you crazy??😜

Got it. I didn't realize they were different.

I imagine some trying to make the MLB roster get annoyed being given an MiLB ball. 😂

The more you know.gif

15 hours ago, tpatience said:

Big league pitchers wouldn’t dare pitch with a MILB ball. Are you crazy??😜

1 hour ago, Velho said:

Got it. I didn't realize they were different.

I imagine some trying to make the MLB roster get annoyed being given an MiLB ball. 😂

The more you know.gif

Trevor is planting his tongue firmly in his cheek. But also he isn't wrong.

I also doubt there is much difference between a MLB and MiLB ball besides the signature. But it is also a mental/pride thing.

I use two bags (Honigs). Up to 6 in my right bag since I am right handed.

Left bag has Ump Life magnetic card holder with red pen in front inside pocket and wooden brush in the rear inside pocket. Hard candy and indicator in the big part.

Never lost any bags while running.

• Like 1

I have never had balls come out while running (I use the Smitty ones).  I keep the plate brush in my right front pocket and my notepad/folder for trips and lineup cards in my right back pocket, as ironically, that is what comes out when I run.  When I started doing college, I tried to look like the MLB guys, with the trips/pad in my chest pocket and a nice pen clipped over pocket tongue, and I have had so many times where that fell out, I gave up.

Since others are sharing, I also wear two balls bags, and try to keep equal # of balls in each, and when an odd total, the extra in right.  I also keep nicer balls on right side as those are first I grab (being right handed).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

I have never had balls come out while running (I use the Smitty ones).  I keep the plate brush in my right front pocket and my notepad/folder for trips and lineup cards in my right back pocket, as ironically, that is what comes out when I run. 

Usually it's just the brush that comes out, not the balls. It kinda feels like the baseballs bounce around and push the brush out. I'll probably just get a smaller one and put it in the back pocket now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scissors said:

Usually it's just the brush that comes out, not the balls. It kinda feels like the baseballs bounce around and push the brush out. I'll probably just get a smaller one and put it in the back pocket now.

I had the same issue, I went to the plastic handle brush and started keeping it in the back pocket. Has worked for me. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

I had the same issue, I went to the plastic handle brush and started keeping it in the back pocket. Has worked for me. 

That's what I'm going to do, also going to pick up the Honig's ball bags I think. Realized I've been using the same Champros since I started.

43 minutes ago, Scissors said:

Realized I've been using the same Champros since I started.

3664A291-20D9-420A-97EF-FD5260A13A24.gif.b8c6ff5d1009acfc36f1dbc7e0a4f55d.gif

And yes, @Velho, there is a noticeable difference between the Minor League baseball (used by A & AA) and the Major League baseball (used by the Bigs and AAA). On the outside, it has to do with seam & stitch height and casing composition. On the inside, it has to do with pill “true-ness” and the winding of the yarns. In short, the Major League baseball is a precision engineered sports car, while the MiLB ball is more like a well-made, go anywhere, do anything truck. 

Comparatively, Baden and Champro baseballs … and even some Diamonds and Wilsons… are ol’ Chevy white panel vans. 

I’ve got some detailed photos of the differences that I did for an online Q&A forum, but I’d have to resize them to post here. 🤨

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

difference between the Minor League baseball (used by A & AA) and the Major League baseball (used by the Bigs and AAA).

Cool. I'll look to add to small my collection. Good excuse to go to a San Jose Giants game.

The PG ball may or may not have been stolen from my sons' career final tournament in Sept in AZ. Allegedly my son took it and I in turn took it from him. Sorry @MadMax  @KenBAZ 😉 

IMG_0192.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, @Velho, you don’t even have the modern “juiced nemesis” ball ala 2019 (or was it 2018 when all the pitchers were bitchers?). That one you have is from 2015 or prior. 

In 2018-2019, the seams were further tightened and lowered. Most importantly, the pill – a two-piece core of cork jacketed by rubber – was precision cast so it is much truer. Then, the winding of the 3-ply and 4-ply yarn was done by a high-speed, high-torque robot. Last, the casing was precision cut with a laser as well as the holes for the stitches. With an infinitesimal amount of superfluous material, and now only microscopic wobble, the ball experiences less drag than its predecessor, translating into some 10-20 feet(?) of travel difference. 

Because of how tight these balls are, they don’t go through pitching machines well, if at all. Also, they don’t survive scuffs as well as their MiLB cousins. Unless you’ve gotten accustomed to throwing the current MLB (and AAA) ball, you’d have trouble with it, especially on anything with movement. By contrast, the MiLB ball is easier to throw for amateurs and “civilians”. 

So I did a game once, where I had to use not two different baseballs, but three – the MLB ball (for a current MLB Starter who at the time was AAA), the MiLB ball (for the hosting club’s other pitchers), and the Korean League’s official ball… which is its own enigma to experience. Why? Because it’s made by a company called Skyline, and the ball is in metric!!!

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

Wow, @Velho, you don’t even have the modern “juiced nemesis” ball ala 2019 (or was it 2018 when all the pitchers were bitchers?). That one you have is from 2015 or prior. 

Good point. I need to get on the ball.

That ball is from 2012. My son and I got into Petco Park during bp ahead of them opening the gates (a friend worked in the front office). We got so many balls I made my son start giving them back.

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

In 2018-2019, the seams were further tightened and lowered

Yikes. These are already so minimal compared to the LL ball. Do the new ones double as a billiard ball? No wonder the spider-tack.

9 hours ago, Scissors said:

That's what I'm going to do, also going to pick up the Honig's ball bags I think. Realized I've been using the same Champros since I started.

The Honigs K40 are my favorite. Deeper and wider than Smittys. Worth the difference. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Velho said:

These are already so minimal compared to the LL ball. Do the new ones double as a billiard ball? No wonder the spider-tack.

The real shocking comparison is when you look at the progression within professional baseball, ie. the three baseballs used in gameplay. 

You have your aforementioned Big League baseball. The Juiced Newton (physics)-defying pearl. The seam height is a factor as to why pitchers are compelled to (cheat) use tacky aids, but another factor is how hard the thing is because of the precision winding and cutting of the casing. MLB switches out the baseballs so frequently, the baseballs never get a chance to “soften up”. The seams look like they’re on the verge of splitting; indeed, because of this, these particular baseballs should not be put through pitching machines. Instead, MiLB baseballs will be used, or Rawlings does make a “black label” tech ball that is just like the gamer, but the casing is slightly looser / softer so a pitching machine grabs it. 

The MLB ball is used in The Show and in both leagues of AAA (albeit with their own individual labeling). 

Next, there’s the MiLB baseball, used by both AA and A levels and is the real workhorse during training and practice. Incredibly survivable and robust, it holds up really well through a 9-inning game. Many of our adult leagues here in Phoenix favor them, spirited away from the Club facilities thru various… auspicious… means. 

Lastly, as @tpatience knows of, the Rookie League uses a Rawlings ball that is markedly different than its two siblings. Its seams and stitches are thicker and more pronounced than the NCAA Div I & II baseballs that Rawlings is known to produce, instead looking like a high-class High School baseball.

Anyway, back to ball bags… it is common protocol to request and receive at least 4 if not 5 baseballs from the home dugout (either by ballboy or day-off PO (called a “peoff”, as compared to peon)). As such, if you’re wearing 1 ball bag, you better be sure it can hold all 4-5 baseballs brought… it is obnoxious to have the ballboy only bring… 3. Just. Cuz. You. Wanna. Look. Cool. 🤨

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:40 PM, BT_Blue said:

I also doubt there is much difference between a MLB and MiLB ball besides the signature. But it is also a mental/pride thing.

Whatever the size of the difference, this difference can pucker an umpire's cheeks faster than anything else:

All I know is that one day I went to rub up the baseballs before my plate job and instead of them reading, "New York-Penn League," they read "American League".  I asked the clubby what was up.  His reply was, "you didn't hear?  Gooden has a rehab start tonight."

And that's how I found out (through the label on a baseball) that I was umpiring my first game with an actual MLB pitcher.  Talk about not being able to fit a pinhead up my a$$!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3