Out of Control Coach

BabblingBlue68

On 11/8/2021 at 3:03 PM, BabblingBlue68 said:

"WHAT?! HE'S OUT! WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! HE'S SAFE BY A STEP AT LEAST! THAT'S SO OBVIOUS!!  I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE ME AND I KNOW YOU HATE MY TEAM, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL A FAIR GAME! JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE ME DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD BE CALLING AGAINST US!"

My two cents (to add to all the great advice above):  Upon hearing this, I would have done one of two things [Which of these I would have done would depend on the level at which the game is being played, how the game has gone so far (meaning, how the coach has behaved so far), and my prior relationship with the coach (and, yes, I know that each day is a "new game"...but coaches who have a history of proving they can't behave get a shorter leash.)]:

1.  I would have responded with, "ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF CHEATING?"  (I would shine the spotlight really bright on him.) Please note that me saying this would not be in a "meek" tone of voice.  It would not be said in a "polite and quiet voice" as you said you used when responding to the coach.  I can assure you I would be saying this loudly, somewhat aggressively, and with a good stare down.  Any response from the coach other than a "no" gets an immediate ejection.  If he says, "I'm not accusing you of cheating blue, I'm just saying..." I would cut him off and say, "you are accusing me of cheating because you are saying I am intentionally making wrong calls because you think I don't like you.  That's accusing me of cheating.  This is your warning, if you continue to argue today you are going to be ejected!"  Again, if he makes another peep...he's done.

2.  Alternatively, (using the criteria set forth in the first paragraph of this post) I might have ejected the coach immediately.  If/when he throws a fit wanting to know why he was ejected, I would reply, "you yelled for everyone to hear that you think I'm a cheater".  (And you can bet that I will make sure my ejection report states everything he yelled and that it was yelled in a manner that was audible to everyone in attendance.)  Of course, he'll deny that he called you a cheater.  To which I would reply, "you just screamed that I was making calls against you on purpose because you think I don't like you.  That's calling me a cheater.  You're done!"  Just to be clear, the language the coach yelled (which I quoted above from your post) meets one of the three P's (personal, profane, prolonged) in that it is personal.  He used the word "you" numerous times.  Not to mention he used "you" in the context of accusing "you" of cheating.  

In any event, this whole situation had to be shut down at this moment (when the language I quoted above was yelled by the coach).  This should have been done either by giving him a warning as set forth in #1 above (and then ejecting without further warning for any further arguing), or by ejecting him immediately.  You have rulebook and/or casebook support to use either of these methods at every level of baseball.

• Like 5

I'm not sure why so many people think their job is to keep a coach in the game.  This dude ejected himself several times; you should have shown him the door.  Now he, his assistant coaches, and the players all think that's the way they are supposed to interact with umpires, and he is going to become a problem for every umpire in your association.

OP, by the way, my experience (and I think others will support me on this) is that baseball below the high school level has a ton of idiots like this coach.  I experienced it several times before I moved up to the high school association.  High school coaches usually know how to interact with umpires. 

Welcome to the forums!

Oh man. I feel for you on this one. Nothing gets me more upset than a coach questioning my integrity. 

I loved lawumps first idea, to call the coach out loudly and publicly for the world to see. But to be honest I doubt I'd make it that far as the instant those words came out of his mouth I'd have tossed him. Don't ever accuse me of cheating or favoring a team. Tell me you thought I kicked a call, that my zone hasn't been great, but never that I was out to get you and your team and purposely kicked calls.

I hope you write to the league president of the association you were calling for and have then do something about it.

• Like 2

If I've ever heard a textbook, ironclad, ejection scenario, this is it.

If ejected, he has to answer to the league BOD. Without ejection, he may or may not. 

Possibly, the only way for him to have to deal with his behaviour is for you to push the issue through your association.  If I was your assignor/evaluator the first thing I'd ask is why you didn't run him. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/17/2022 at 3:56 PM, flyingron said:

"ARE YOU ACCUSING ME OF CHEATING?" 

This would appear to be a confrontational and even rhetorical question.    If you want to eject him based on his answer, then you might as well do it now.

Confrontational?  yup.  I pretty much implied that in my post.  Sometimes we have to confront the bad behavior. 

Rhetorical?  Absolutely not.  I will get an answer; the delivery of the question will make it clear that it is not rhetorical.  One time I actually had a head coach meekly reply "no", walk away, and not say another peep the rest of the game.  He got the message and he managed to not get ejected.  Miracles do happen.  

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, lawump said:

"WHAT?! HE'S OUT! WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! HE'S SAFE BY A STEP AT LEAST! THAT'S SO OBVIOUS!!  I KNOW YOU DON'T LIKE ME AND I KNOW YOU HATE MY TEAM, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, CALL A FAIR GAME! JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE ME DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD BE CALLING AGAINST US!"

Automatic.  Adios!  (The next words might resemble the phrase "forfeit....")

Mike

Las Vegas