Something going on at Force 3

mac266
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 885 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A while back, I posted about some problems I had ordering a Force 3 hockey style helmet through Dick’s Sporting Goods.  Short version:  it arrived with no chin pad.  Returned and a new one shipped, no chin pad. Returned again and the third one had no chin pad.  Not willing to deal with this again, I returned it for a refund and bought an All Star.  I’m quite happy with it.  

I figured the problem was with Dick’s, and I wanted Force 3 to know about the issue because they are losing sales due to what I believed were the actions of a very large retailer.  So I emailed them asking someone to call me.  The auto response said they would.  No call.  I emailed a second time, still no response other than the auto email promising contact.  So I called them twice, no response.  So I sent a message to their Facebook page and got nothing but an auto response.  

I contacted a well-known online umpire equipment retailer and asked if they were going to carry this helmet.  I was told they have no plans to even though they carry a lot of Force 3’s equipment.  Hmmmmm….

Then I read their reviews on their Facebook page.  Every review for the past six months is horrible, and talks about how their customer service refuses to contact anyone, the products have become shoddy, and reviews of that helmet talk about the crappy chin pad that always falls out and is poorly designed.

I’m thinking Force 3 isn’t what it used to be.

Not sure why we need another thread on here for this, but I would be in the opposition to your comments. 

I contacted Force3 in September with a question about some products and received an email back within a day letting me know they were actually out of stock but could let me know when they receive more. I think some companies have been able to handle supply chain issues due to COVID better than others (whether that be internal processes or external factors) and we are really starting to see that in the umpire gear world.

A few examples I have seen:

• We just got an email from our state association that pretty much said they don't know when some of out authorized retailers will have hats for us for next season. 
  • All-Star Cobalt and F3 CPs have been sold out everywhere for months and delivery dates to retailers have been pushed and pushed.
  • I was just told by a local retailer that the Adams convertible jacket was OOS and had no fulfillment date.

Is it frustrating that they didn't reply to you, heck yeah it is! But to call the the whole company into question over a transaction with a 3rd party retailer and 6 Facebook reviews over 6 months, I just don't think that is fair. From looking at their instagram it looks like they are in the middle of some crazy growth, they have been named as an official mask of MLB and Juco catchers, to go from a smaller operation to one with those two tags in a year + the headwinds coming from COVID, lets cut them some slack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The overall supply chain from Asia is a complete mess. Cargo is taking months just to get on a boat to the USA and then can take up to another month to get offloaded and moved to warehouses. That is most likely what is happening with stock-outs and delays in receiving product. 

4 minutes ago, akumpire9 said:

The overall supply chain from Asia is a complete mess. Cargo is taking months just to get on a boat to the USA and then can take up to another month to get offloaded and moved to warehouses. That is most likely what is happening with stock-outs and delays in receiving product. 

To your point... let us not forget that some of the US ports (LA being the biggest and most well know) is having labor issues with the local unions. This is why Florida pushed so hard to make it know their ports are open for business.

This is great and all. But the Port Of Los Angeles is the largest in the country... and one of the largest in the world. So even if Florida can take some of it on. They could never process the amount of ships that LA can.

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

To your point... let us not forget that some of the US ports (LA being the biggest and most well know) is having labor issues with the local unions. This is why Florida pushed so hard to make it know their ports are open for business.

This is great and all. But the Port Of Los Angeles is the largest in the country... and one of the largest in the world. So even if Florida can take some of it on. They could never process the amount of ships that LA can.

Or, hey, they can pay their labor what they are worth. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, agdz59 said:

Or, hey, they can pay their labor what they are worth. 

Look... I dont disagree. I was merely stating one of the many reasons the supply chain is so far behind. I work in transportation (LTL trucking) and we are crazy busy. Even as a small regional company, we are on course for the best two year stretch we have EVER had.

But back to your point... I believe the workers should do what the need to to get theirs! 

14 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Look... I dont disagree. I was merely stating one of the many reasons the supply chain is so far behind. I work in transportation (LTL trucking) and we are crazy busy. Even as a small regional company, we are on course for the best two year stretch we have EVER had.

But back to your point... I believe the workers should do what the need to to get theirs! 

The supply chain had nothing to do with my problem.  Defective equipment did.  Everything shipped in a timely manner; it was just missing critical pieces when it arrived -- three times -- and now the company has chosen to ignore my concerns.  So I won't give them money anymore.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 12:13 PM, BT_Blue said:

L A was just made into a 24/7 port a month or so ago so hopefully that will help.

8 minutes ago, umpstu said:

L A was just made into a 24/7 port a month or so ago so hopefully that will help.

Wow! I would have assumed it already was. Used to live about 3 blocks from the cruise ship dock in San Pedro (dont recommended it... didnt know it at the time, but not a good neighborhood.) And used to go to a small dog park late at night, and you could look directly down onto the port. They were always on and stuff was always moving.

Edited by BT_Blue
Over share

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

Wow! I would have assumed it already was. Used to live about 3 blocks from the cruise ship dock in San Pedro (dont recommended it... didnt know it at the time, but not a good neighborhood.) And used to go to a small dog park late at night to... ummm.... look at the lights... in the port. They were always on and stuff was always moving.

It was announced that it would be on 13 Oct.  Still hasn't happened.  Guess they're working out all of the kinks.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Force3 very much appears to be struggling. I ordered new shins Oct 11 and got email that my credit card was charged Oct. 20 but never got a ship notice. I gave them some time and finally emailed lat week to follow up on when it would ship. Not getting a response I was about to call them just now but decided to check my credit card first. Glad I did as I see they issued a refund even before I contacted them, but never told me. So no harm, no foul in the end.

I imagine they are struggling mightily and feel for them.