Tag out/run score?

Guest Carlos
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 896 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

I had a bases loaded, 2 out instance where the ball was hit it the SS on the ground. Instead of running/throwing the a base, he ran down the runner. However, the runner from 3rd made it home before that happened. Was it a run scored, or a force out? Thank you

3 answers to this question

2 out, bases loaded........as you indicated.......means that it is still a force play.  

"No runs can score when the last out of the inning is a force, or made by the batter runner before reaching first base"

My verbiage may be off a bit.........but you should get the gist of it.  

A tag can still be a force out (a bit mind bending for me the first time I came to understand it).

Assuming runner is tagged out before reaching the based they're being forced to (runner on 2nd going to 3rd base) it is still a force out and no run scores (as stated above).

18 hours ago, Guest Carlos said:

I had a bases loaded, 2 out instance where the ball was hit it the SS on the ground. Instead of running/throwing the a base, he ran down the runner. However, the runner from 3rd made it home before that happened. Was it a run scored, or a force out? Thank you

Technically, your question doesn't give us quite enough information as it doesn't state whom F6 (a/k/a "SS") tagged and where that runner was located at the time of the tag.  In answering your question, I am assuming that F6 tagged R2 (R2 is the runner who started the play on second base) before R2 acquired third base.  

The question to ask yourself is: at the time of the "out" (whether that "out" comes as a result of the fielder in possession of the ball tagging the base OR legally tagging the runner) was the runner who was put out forced to advance as a result of the batter becoming a runner?  In your scenario, (if my assumption stated above is correct), when F6 tagged R2, that runner was "forced" because the batter was advancing to first base (which forced R1 to advance to second base, which forced R2 to advance to third base, etc.).  Thus, since at the time of the tag R2 was "forced" to advance it is a force out and no run scores (since no run may score on a play in which the third out is recorded and that third out is a force out).

In summary, do not focus on the type of out (tag of base vs. tag of runner).  Rather, focus on the runner's status at the time of the out (was the runner "forced" to advance vs. was he advancing at his own risk).  If we modify your scenario so that R2 had touched third base and was trying to advance home when F6 tagged him we would no longer have a "force" out (since R2 was not "forced" to advance beyond third base).  In this modified scenario, R3's run would count.

• Thanks 1