Bona Fide Slide - ATL HOU Game 4 B3, No call?

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 879 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Don't have DVR running so recalling from short term memory. Great DP by Altuve-Correa, Correa sidestepping to throw to 1B when I see R1 sliding towards him with no effect and not even close to 2B. Should have U2 called the MLB violation? "(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts". There is a slight delay when seeing a violation at what ever level we call and sometimes if the out results at 1B we leave it alone and don't even raise a hand to signal the interference. Yes, I know we should call it upon seeing it but our natural reaction is to turn while thinking tht's INT and when a DP results sometimes we leave it alone if no runner scored. But do you think think this would/should have been called?

3 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Don't have DVR running so recalling from short term memory. Great DP by Altuve-Correa, Correa sidestepping to throw to 1B when I see R1 sliding towards him with no effect and not even close to 2B. Should have U2 called the MLB violation? "(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts". There is a slight delay when seeing a violation at what ever level we call and sometimes if the out results at 1B we leave it alone and don't even raise a hand to signal the interference. Yes, I know we should call it upon seeing it but our natural reaction is to turn while thinking tht's INT and when a DP results sometimes we leave it alone if no runner scored. But do you think think this would/should have been called?

i can only find the DP from the 4th inning with Pederson being the back end of the DP, not the 3rd inning one with Freeman the back end of the DP.

see 143-153

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-vs-braves/2021/10/30/660902#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=videos,game=660902

oops here we go below with both. from 335-347 and 435-450

19 hours ago, Jimurray said:

What rule do you think was broken?

2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

What rule do you think was broken?

Did he attempt to make contact? "(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play".

I don't know what happened after the camera pulls but the MLBUM advises that with no or minimal contact the umpire will judge if hindrance took place. So while it appears he tried to violate the rule he was unsuccessful. No hindrance equals no call.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Did he attempt to make contact? "(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play".

I don't know what happened after the camera pulls but the MLBUM advises that with no or minimal contact the umpire will judge if hindrance took place. So while it appears he tried to violate the rule he was unsuccessful. No hindrance equals no call.

But to invoke that you have to first rule it wasn't a bona fide slide. Which part of thei was not met?

A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs
when the runner:
(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground)
before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or
foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home
plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway
for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

9 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

But to invoke that you have to first rule it wasn't a bona fide slide. Which part of thei was not met?

A “bona fide slide” for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs
when the runner:
(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground)
before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or
foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home
plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway
for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

I don't think he could have complied with #2. It looks like he goes directly at Correa who has stepped to the outfield side of 2B.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

He didn't deviate, and he was going towards the base (he started outside.) 

That might be. What little I saw looked like a slide straight toward Correa with a hand up ( natural or intended). Camera pulled away so who knows what happened.