Turning Left after running thru first base

Guest Kdwarren

Question

Guest Kdwarren

A player on my team hit a ground ball. He ran thru first base into RF. When he was coming back to the base he turned left (toward 2nd base) to walk back to 1st base. The pitcher than ran from the mound and tagged him out and the ump called him out. Is this the correct call ? 

6 answers to this question

Depends what you mean by "turn left."   Any move toward second is considered as an attempt to go there rather than returning first under the overrun rule.   If  steps toward second, he loses the overrun protection.   If he's just turning 180 degrees to go back to first, it doesn't matter which way he rotates.

13 minutes ago, flyingron said:

Depends what you mean by "turn left."   Any move toward second is considered as an attempt to go there rather than returning first under the overrun rule.   If  steps toward second, he loses the overrun protection.   If he's just turning 180 degrees to go back to first, it doesn't matter which way he rotates.

This is incorrect.

There has to be an attempt to go to second, which is judgment. A step in itself may or may not be an attempt, and it is possible to step towards second or turn left and have it not be an attempt.

I don’t know what levels Mr. flyingron works but if it includes high school then he could be right. Please note that the current FED rule 8-2-7 uses the language “does not attempt or feint an advance.”

ART. 7 . . . A batter-runner who reaches first base safely and then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to second.

2018 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: With a runner on second base and one out, the batter attempts to check his swing on a 3-2 count. As the pitch skips by the catcher, the batter takes off for first base. The plate umpire eventually checks with the base umpire as to whether the batter checked his swing (in which case it would be ball four) or if the batter did swing at the pitch (in which case it would be strike three). As the batter runs through first base, the base umpire answers the plate umpire by announcing that the batter did not swing, that he successfully checked his swing. The catcher throws the ball to the first baseman, who tags the batter as he directly returns to first base. RULING: The batter is not out. A batter-runner who reaches first base safely and then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to second. This applies to base hits as well as a base on balls. (8-2-7)

2 hours ago, flyingron said:

Any move toward second is considered as an attempt to go there rather than returning first under the overrun rule.   If  steps toward second, he loses the overrun protection.   

is not consistent with

6 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

...then overruns or overslides may immediately return without liability of being put out provided he does not attempt or feint an advance to second. This applies to base hits as well as a base on balls. (8-2-7)

That does not say that any move or step towards second is an attempt. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Guest Kdwarren said:

A player on my team hit a ground ball. He ran thru first base into RF. When he was coming back to the base he turned left (toward 2nd base) to walk back to 1st base. The pitcher than ran from the mound and tagged him out and the ump called him out. Is this the correct call ? 

Gawd I hate this.

I'll blow this ump's mind by turning right and then going to second.

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2021 at 2:56 PM, beerguy55 said:

Gawd I hate this.

Right there with you... Have a couple teams in our league that try and get the cheap out on any left turn at first. 

After the first or second loud "NOPE" calls, they tend to be less excited about it. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.