Dodgers Cards WC 2021 B6 RLI no call needed

Jimurray
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 921 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Jimurray changed the title to Dodgers Cards WC 2021 B6 RLI no call needed
6 hours ago, udbrky said:

Are you talking about when Goldschmidt caught the ball just ahead of the runner? No RLI since he caught the ball. Not sure what you're saying should have happened.

I think @Jimurray is saying that ... he was out, and Goldy caught the ball, so there was no need to call RLI, however, ... it would have been ... if it hadn't been caught

• Like 1

In OBR, RLI is only called when the runner interferes with fielder who is fielding/catching a throw that could reasonably retire them.

HS that’s called and runners return.

But on a clean catch and out, no chance that is called at pro level

25 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

In OBR, RLI is only called when the runner interferes with fielder who is fielding/catching a throw that could reasonably retire them.

On a clean catch and out it would not be called at any level, HS, NCAA or OBR. My point in the OP is that MLB runners continue to defy the odds and take a chance of being in violation.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

The key word is interferes. Even in HS, there was no interference.

• Like 1

Fed Interps 2010:

SITUATION 7: B1 lays down a bunt that is fielded by F2 in fair territory a few feet in front of home plate. As B1 is 60 feet from home base, he is running outside the running lane with one foot completely in fair ground and not touching the lines of the running lane. F2 fields the ball and (a) attempts to throw to first but throws high into right field as he tries not to hit B1, or (b) does not attempt a throw. RULING: B1 is required to be in the running lane the last 45 feet to first base when the ball is fielded and thrown from an area behind him. In (a), this is interference and B1 is out and the ball is declared dead. In (b), since there was no throw, there is no interference. F2 is not required to hit B1 to demonstrate that B1 is out of the running lane, but a throw must be made for the interference to be declared. (8-4-1g

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

And to clarify, I never said I’d call RLI just for being outside the lane, but I said if catcher hitches due to that, you can get it.

catcher fields, turns, and double clutches bc runner is in the way (out of RL) you can call it in HS.

You still need a throw to be interfered with. Some of us probably corrected CCS in the comments but they never admit to or correct errors in their posts, most of which are worthwhile but they have that fatal flaw of not correcting errors.

11 hours ago, SH0102 said:

And to clarify, I never said I’d call RLI just for being outside the lane, but I said if catcher hitches due to that, you can get it.

catcher fields, turns, and double clutches bc runner is in the way (out of RL) you can call it in HS.

You ever heard my RLI story?

This sitch happened in my 1st HS game.  BR way inside, F2 pumps. In my mind I was thinking, if he throws it I’m calling it. Well, he did, 10ft over F3s head.  To keep it short, the SH*# show began. 
I”ll never make that mistake again!