Discussion of 2021 AL and NL Wild Card Games

Join us for discussion of the 2021 American and National League Wild Card Games: Any and everything that happens during these winner-take-all affairs is fair game, and, of course, we will post UEFL f/x plate scores for every home plate umpire this postseason. Performance plate scores are listed...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

On 10/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Gil said:

Join us for discussion of the 2021 American and National League Wild Card Games: Any and everything that happens during these winner-take-all affairs is fair game, and, of course, we will post UEFL f/x plate scores for every home plate umpire this postseason. Performance plate scores are listed...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

@Gil

am i reading correctly, that under MLB Zone Evaluator system, Mr. West did not miss a pitch, 166 for 166. Under UEFL system he missed 2 pitches, 164 for 166, and under ML public system (which just plots a dot from the exact center/middle/1.47 inches/ on the ball) he missed 7 pitches, 159 for 166. just trying to figure out the charts. thanks.

1 hour ago, dumbdumb said:

@Gil

am i reading correctly, that under MLB Zone Evaluator system, Mr. West did not miss a pitch, 166 for 166. Under UEFL system he missed 2 pitches, 164 for 166, and under ML public system (which just plots a dot from the exact center/middle/1.47 inches/ on the ball) he missed 7 pitches, 159 for 166. just trying to figure out the charts. thanks.

Yes, that's how it works

I’m really diggin’ Mark Carlson (in AL WC) and Dan Bellino (Game 1, ALDS) actually vocalizing pitch locations, in addition to calling “Ball”s. “Out”, “Low”, “In”… “No, that’s up”… at one point, Carlson clearly says “down and out”. 

Huh! So that means those evaluators and feedback “dishers” saying “Don’t say pitch location. Big League guys don’t give pitch location, why should you?” are full of 💩.

And I was especially keen on Bellino whippin’ a new ball out there on a ball exchange. No bellowing of “Time!”, no needless mechanics. Zunino is flippin’ the potentially scuffed ball to the dugout, and Bellino’s got a new one already enroute to the F1. Three cheers for situational awareness.

• Like 3

On 10/8/2021 at 5:46 PM, MadMax said:

I’m really diggin’ Mark Carlson (in AL WC) and Dan Bellino (Game 1, ALDS) actually vocalizing pitch locations, in addition to calling “Ball”s. “Out”, “Low”, “In”… “No, that’s up”… at one point, Carlson clearly says “down and out”. 

Huh! So that means those evaluators and feedback “dishers” saying “Don’t say pitch location. Big League guys don’t give pitch location, why should you?” are full of 💩.

And I was especially keen on Bellino whippin’ a new ball out there on a ball exchange. No bellowing of “Time!”, no needless mechanics. Zunino is flippin’ the potentially scuffed ball to the dugout, and Bellino’s got a new one already enroute to the F1. Three cheers for situational awareness.

I like that situational awareness but at our levels we keep that ball in play.  But no harm in whipping that replacement ball back to F1 if F2 is still tracking the out of play foul ball. Even my lob speeds up the game.  I find myself only vocalizing corner pitches. But big league guys do and don't vocalize pitches. My take is to let new guys know, being trained by a uncertified shade tree umpire, that either technique might work for you. Take your pick.