Interference

MT73
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 927 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Having a brain freeze.

‘Can a runner be called out if he makes unintentional contact with a fielder who is in the process of catching a thrown ball?

OBR?

FED?

B/R going for 2B

F6 Is covering the bag but before he catches the ball the B/R runs into him.

Whats the call?

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, MT73 said:

Today I was watching a 9U game.

Shortstop was going after a wild throw when the shortstop ran into him.

Had I been umpiring the game I would have called obstruction but I was wondering if it could be inference?.

You said the SS ran into SS, guessing you meant runner.  But no, this is obstruction if he’s going after a throw and not a batted ball unless the runner does something intentional

Shortstop was going after a wild throw when the runner ran into him.

From the 2013 Wendelstedt manual (p. 147):

If a fielder is not in possession of a ball, nor in the act of fielding the ball, it is obstruction when...

A runner gets “tangled up” with that fielder who has just tried to field a ball and missed or misplayed it, and either remains in his position without the ball immediately in front or beside him, or who is running after a deflection or an overthrow.

On these type of plays, you may not remember the exact rule(s). However, a good general guide is to look at this situation and try to apply a "fairness" standard. The throw was wild. As a result, it caused the defensive player to be out of position trying to catch the errant throw and there was contact. Ask yourself, why would I penalize the offensive player for a poor throw by the defense? If a coach comes out to argue, you can repeat this question back to him. The question should answer itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Mike said:

On these type of plays, you may not remember the exact rule(s). However, a good general guide is to look at this situation and try to apply a "fairness" standard. The throw was wild. As a result, it caused the defensive player to be out of position trying to catch the errant throw and there was contact. Ask yourself, why would I penalize the offensive player for a poor throw by the defense? If a coach comes out to argue, you can repeat this question back to him. The question should answer itself.

I can't recommend this approach at all, at least for anyone who aims to advance beyond 9U.

Learn the rules and apply them. There's an INT rule and an OBS rule, and one of them is relevant (even if we go with a no-call). 

Answering coaches should cite the rule and explain our application of it to the current situation. Appealing to 'fairness' is begging for an argument (because coach doesn't think your ruling is fair).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, maven said:

I can't recommend this approach at all, at least for anyone who aims to advance beyond 9U.

Learn the rules and apply them. There's an INT rule and an OBS rule, and one of them is relevant (even if we go with a no-call). 

Answering coaches should cite the rule and explain our application of it to the current situation. Appealing to 'fairness' is begging for an argument (because coach doesn't think your ruling is fair).

I agree with Maven but think Mike’s info is a good way for a young/new umpire to learn INT/OBS and why a situation like the one in the OP wouldn’t be INT. 

for me, it helps to understand the why tomake the rule “stick” .

If the OP is asking the question, they don’t know the rule yet or understand it, so thinking of it as Mike described helps learn it, but I agree that I wouldn’t promote using that as your point of emphasis with a coach.

25 minutes ago, maven said:

Agreed.

Sometimes the rules do not seem to follow logic and fairness.