Balk?

Guest Mike
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 912 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Man on 1st, righty batter, ball pitches outside, catcher attempts pick off, runner on belly safe, ball quickly back to pitcher , sets, stops and pitches .

problem although batter is ready , runner was at disadvantage every time trying to get a lead , this is like a quick pitch with a player on and should be a balk no?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, Guest Mike said:

Man on 1st, righty batter, ball pitches outside, catcher attempts pick off, runner on belly safe, ball quickly back to pitcher , sets, stops and pitches .

problem although batter is ready , runner was at disadvantage every time trying to get a lead , this is like a quick pitch with a player on and should be a balk no?

Coach the batter...on a pickoff he can step out of the box.

2 hours ago, Guest Mike said:

this is like a quick pitch

"like" a quick pitch is NOT a quick pitch, so it's not a balk.

That said, if you think the defense is gaining an advantage not intended by the rules (and, for me, it's going to depend on the timing, and how long R1 takes, etc) don't let F1 pitch.

Very easy things to remember, time between innings is for pitcher, and time between pitches is for batter.

I had a game this summer where 1B took his sweet time and I told pitcher 2-more and catcher said, “but the infield didn’t get to warm up yet”.  Don’t care, let’s go.

If batter is ready and pitcher can come set and pitch, then runner is irrelevant

As others have said, this is nothing. The only way I might get in this middle of this is if R2 is on his knee retying his shoe... then I'm killing it since R2 is not even looking at what is going on and that is a safety issue. Other than that? Nope, not a thing.