So I did it.. OOPS

ArchAngel72
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 891 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Top of 1st inning of a double header I have at this field.

Ball bounces away from catcher R2 takes off for 3rd  P2 throws to P5 gets R2 high on the leg but none the less R3 is out by 2 feet or so.  I make sure he held the ball.  OUT I call. it was the 3rd out so I turn from where I was which was now a couple feet up the line  and I head back to the back stop where I left my water bottle.  As I am walking by the visiting teams stands I heard dad hollering to his kid.

"Dont you worry that ump missed that call you were under that tag easy"

Im thinking what game is he watching the kid never made the bag on his slide for 1 for 2 he got tagged just under the knee which was sticking way up when he was around 2 feet from the bag before he stopped short of it.

I stopped and was looking at this guy. looks much like a fire hydrant made love to a bull dog.  Hes shorter but tatted up and looks like he works out for his job. ( some of the tats I recognize as military)

I say to him. " Are you really gonna start on me THIS early? its only the 1st inning" 

He says " Oh yeah and Ill be here for the 2nd as WE have a double header"  he's smiling.

"Thats funny you should say that as I have the next game here too" 

well this got us into a friendly banter and yeah he's 19 years in just got back from over seas 5 weeks ago and etc.

I tell him Hey tell you what I got another shirt in my truck why dont you go get it and you can run the bases for me.  He was eager to.

Well that game went by and after I went back to my truck and changed my t shirt and CP out took off my shins and let them air dry as best they could.

I got 15 min of a/c in the truck and then went back with two more bottles of water and a spare shirt on a hanger.  He was not there so I hung it on the fence in front of where he was sitting

some of the parents asked me if that was for him. I said yep when he comes back tell him to suit up he is gonna run for me. 

LMAO he did!

I asked both coaches if it was ok to use him they both agreed on it. 

So I gave him some basic knowledge on positions and calls 

He did fine I saw only one bang bang play he called that he did get correct from my view too.

I gave him a couple more tips as the game progressed.

we go to the middle of the 5th and the President of the League showed up, not unusual specially on a fri or sat game

II said Hello Brian

He says Hey "Arch" I see you got someone on bases. I say yah he was heckling me 1st inning of the last game so I put him to work.

Ah he says nice.. So how did his back ground check go?

My heart dropped and I had a lump in my throat.

Yeah I did the pooch hard on that.

I Say " well um yeah I guess I missed that and it did not " 

He says Dont worry I am busting yah I know Adam he coached for us in DLL for 10 years or more before you started umping.  He's fine I know him

ugh... well phew on that but yeah I messed up

Im still a bit upset with myself on it now.

But sigh at least I did not pick some child molester out of the stands 

Adam had told me he was a major in the military and well I never thought anything about yeah back ground check... 

But I do feel cool about yeah I took a "heckler" out of the stands and put him to work.

I wont ever do that again.. but Heh it was fun

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ousafe said:

Nice job recruiting! You are probably good on the background check for LL because it is required for volunteers or hired workers with regular contact with the kids. I don't think one game qualifies as regular contact. We need more umps, so I hope he returns!

Well he did tell me after he would love to come down and help in any other games.  I encouraged  him to go the LL website as they will handle the back ground check there for you.  He did mention he did not want to get behind the plate.   I'll see if I can get him down to a bunch more games before I push him that way.

But yeah it felt cool actually pulling someone into it

4 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I wont ever do that again.. but Heh it was fun

This story shows me the different "head spaces" we occupy.

MY initial thoughts were along the lines of how [excrement] somehow hit the fan during the course of the game - either because he blows a call, or someone raises hell because he's related to a player.  I even had my in-my-head response ready:  "THIS is why you don't talk to the fence."

And then it was about the background check thing - something I wasn't remotely thinking about.

1 minute ago, HokieUmp said:

This story shows me the different "head spaces" we occupy.

MY initial thoughts were along the lines of how [excrement] somehow hit the fan during the course of the game - either because he blows a call, or someone raises hell because he's related to a player.  I even had my in-my-head response ready:  "THIS is why you don't talk to the fence."

And then it was about the background check thing - something I wasn't remotely thinking about.

I was talking to the fence cause it was fall ball and all we are out there to do is have fun and try to bring the 10U kids into the 12U realm

its much better than the 8 U going into the 10U

however I do tell the coaches at the meeting my K zone is expanded and have them swing away. never had a coach complain ( during fall ball )

Plus I knew I was gonna be a bit rough and I was watching everything and his calls to make a back up issue if he seemed to be one sided. He was good and honest as the day was bright and sunny 

I saw NO favoritism and I got approval from BOTH coaches  so if the HTC complained I would have said hey you ok'd this.

To be honest their team was really no match or that team and the VT came up one run shy of 10 running them out of the game early so it was not like a close game where things mattered too much.

Assigner phones Official, "[Name], I need somebody at X HS right away. Can you make it?"

Official (a cop in X HS's township and DARE liaison at the school): "Sure, I'm on my way."

Official arrives at X HS, where he was told, "Sorry, [Name], you can't officiate because your clearances are not on file."

True story. Go figure.

16 hours ago, LRZ said:

Assigner phones Official, "[Name], I need somebody at X HS right away. Can you make it?"

Official (a cop in X HS's township and DARE liaison at the school): "Sure, I'm on my way."

Official arrives at X HS, where he was told, "Sorry, [Name], you can't officiate because your clearances are not on file."

True story. Go figure.

Rules n Regs.. but yeah I get it..

That one though for sure is O_o

🤦‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...