Pitcher throwing to third base when runner tries to steal third base while pitcher hasn't started his motion

piranhaost
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 938 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

8 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, piranhaost said:

I was wondering if a pitcher can step and throw directly to third base while runner tries to break for third base while pitcher hasn't started his motion yet. Third base is unoccupied at the moment of steal. 

Or does the pitcher has to step off before throwing to third.?

Before starting his motion is irrelevant, If pitching from the stretch, he can throw to 3rd before he has “committed “ to pitch.  For FED he can also feint there. 
So to answer the only? NO

37 minutes ago, piranhaost said:

I was wondering if a pitcher can step and throw directly to third base while runner tries to break for third base while pitcher hasn't started his motion yet. Third base is unoccupied at the moment of steal. 

Stepping and throwing to 3B for the purpose of making a play is legal. It's an oft-forgotten exception to the "may not throw to an unoccupied base" provision of the balk rule.

55 minutes ago, piranhaost said:

Or does the pitcher has to step off before throwing to third.?

It's a balk to throw to an unoccupied base *EXCEPT FOR THE PURPOSES OF MAKING A PLAY*

People remember the first part of the rule; they forget the second part.

This is one I will never forget, partner and I called it right on the field. Only to have the 3BC tell us that "the Ex-MLB pitcher on the other coaching staff said we were wrong" and then I could hear him reading the OBR rule book in the dugout (game was being played under FED, not that it matters for this rule). Gave me a good chuckle behind the plate. 

I'm just glad we aren't using the ex-MLB pitcher rulebook, who knows what is in that one. 

20 minutes ago, ATXBlue said:

This is one I will never forget, partner and I called it right on the field. Only to have the 3BC tell us that "the Ex-MLB pitcher on the other coaching staff said we were wrong" and then I could hear him reading the OBR rule book in the dugout (game was being played under FED, not that it matters for this rule). Gave me a good chuckle behind the plate. 

I'm just glad we aren't using the ex-MLB pitcher rulebook, who knows what is in that one. 

You mean like all the ex-MLBer's who are in broadcast booths all over the continent and on a nightly basis get at least one rule wrong...each.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your replies. . Been playing for over 20 years and every day I still learn something new about the game. That's why I just love it.
So in case pitcher started his leglift he is still allowed to just step towards third base in case the runner on second decides to take off and steal third base?

6 minutes ago, Guest Sven said:

Thanks for your replies. . Been playing for over 20 years and every day I still learn something new about the game. That's why I just love it.
So in case pitcher started his leglift he is still allowed to just step towards third base in case the runner on second decides to take off and steal third base?

By rule, it can be done to make a play or drive back the runner. So it cannot be just a preventative measure and there must be an attempt to advance by the runner. 

19 minutes ago, Guest Sven said:

So in case pitcher started his leg lift he is still allowed to just step towards third base in case the runner on second decides to take off and steal third base?

He can continue in a step to 3B until he reaches the balance point. After that, he's committed to pitch to the batter.

• Like 1