Gausman's "set"

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 939 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

9 answers to this question

Fair question…best answer is either what noumpere said, or the fact that there is no established time a pitcher must pause, it must just be discernible.  Did you see him pause? It so, play on.  I watched it about 10 times and I see the most minutea’ of a pause, and as noumpere said, mlb is different.  It has to be no doubt there was absolutely no pause for them to call it.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I wouldn't have even given this a second look. He never stops when bouncing, I have a clear stop before the pitch...am I missing something?

That’s where I disagree. That free foot/ leg bounces several times. Each time the pause ( or lack there of) before the next bounce is the same. Furthermore, the last pause( or lack there of) before he delivers is just as long ( or short) as each previous pause. So you either have multiple pauses, or no pause at any point because , from what I can see , each “ pause” is identical. 

8 hours ago, SH0102 said:

Fair question…best answer is either what noumpere said, or the fact that there is no established time a pitcher must pause, it must just be discernible.  Did you see him pause? It so, play on.  I watched it about 10 times and I see the most minutea’ of a pause, and as noumpere said, mlb is different.  It has to be no doubt there was absolutely no pause for them to call it.

I’m fine with no established time. But from where I’m watching, he’s either pausing multiple times or never pausing. .The amount of time between each “tap” is the same. . 

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

That’s where I disagree. That free foot/ leg bounces several times. Each time the pause ( or lack there of) before the next bounce is the same. Furthermore, the last pause( or lack there of) before he delivers is just as long ( or short) as each previous pause. So you either have multiple pauses, or no pause at any point because , from what I can see , each “ pause” is identical. 

This is simply a case of us seeing different things. I see the leg continuously moving up until the last one, then I see a stop. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This is simply a case of us seeing different things. I see the leg continuously moving up until the last one, then I see a stop. 

And given that,  I can see why it’s not a balk. . I had a kid doing something similar last weekend in an 18u tourney, but the continuous movement was more obvious and the final stop was a bit more pronounced.