Jump to content

Check swing mechanics vs. Offered bunt mechanics


SeeingEyeDog

Recommended Posts

I've seen some plate partners when they call a check swing strike use a different verbalization and or mechanic than they do on an offered bunt strike call.

I use the same for both...left hand points over the plate, "Yes, he did!" verbalization and a right hand hammer.

Is there a reason to use different stuff if it's a bunt offer strike call versus a check swing strike call?

You do you,

~Dawg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's no difference. People like to overthink stuff...or show you how much they think they know after leaving a clinic or what they heard from a "big dog" who heard from a "big dog" 

But...do what your boss wants you to do if that's who will determine whether or not you reach your goals as an umpire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking as a coach and player, I can't fathom a reason why it would matter to me, or why I would need to know that you know the difference between an offered bunt and a failure to check a swing.

The purpose of the mechanic is communication - mostly to the players...all the players need to know is if the batter went...not how we went about doing it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Thinking as a coach and player, I can't fathom a reason why it would matter to me, or why I would need to know that you know the difference between an offered bunt and a failure to check a swing.

The purpose of the mechanic is communication - mostly to the players...all the players need to know is if the batter went...not how we went about doing it.

Right...and minus a verbal/mechanic indicating a strike (blah, blah, blah) we don't need another mechanic. The reality is that too many mechanics confuse coaches, players & fans...and if it confuses them, then we should think strongly about not doing that mechanic.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

You do you,

 

On 9/13/2021 at 7:49 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

You do you,

Hmm… 🤔 I’m sensing something. 

On 9/14/2021 at 8:55 AM, johnnyg08 said:

People like to overthink stuff...or show you how much they think they know after leaving a clinic or what they heard from a "big dog" who heard from a "big dog" 

8 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

we don't need another mechanic. The reality is that too many mechanics confuse coaches, players & fans...and if it confuses them, then we should think strongly about not doing that mechanic.

 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

I've seen some plate partners when they call a check swing strike use a different verbalization and or mechanic than they do on an offered bunt strike call.

Is there a reason to use different stuff if it's a bunt offer strike call versus a check swing strike call?

Based on what @johnnyg08 so aptly summarized above, have you considered that those plate partners might be wrong, or overdoing things, or adding complexities that aren’t needed, don’t fit the context, or aren’t used elsewhere? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...