My 'Bat' story

BLWizzRanger
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 931 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

True story.

At a camp and doing 3-man for the first time (3rd game over the weekend - all 3 games in 3-man)  First time at 3U.

R3, I am in 'D'.  Out of the corner of my eye, I notice something dropping out of the sky and landing behind me to the right.  When I found it, it was a 'bat' of the mammal variety laying on the ground in foul territory.  It was twitching.  Not really a stop all action type of situation, so I radioed the evaluator, since I didn't know the hand signals for bat removal, that I needed a towel to carry the bat off.  3BC, R3, and F5 are all distracted in between pitches looking at the bat on the ground.  It keeps twitching. I thought it was in the last moments of its life.

Maybe 15 minutes later when the inning ends and field maintenance (FM) comes out to remove the bat, FM touches the bat with a extension claw.  Turns out, there were two bats lying on the ground.  I can only assume that they were procreating.  Who knew?

Surprisingly, the bat lasted a whole half inning... longer than what I could...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2