Douglas/Force3 Mask

UMP45
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 947 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Several umpire associations have arrangements with Douglas and/or an outfitter/rep who sells for Douglas. Douglas has no interest in fabricating its own mask (no point in reinventing the wheel), so instead brokered a deal with Force3 to rebrand the Defender TM and HSM with Douglas marks so it can be sold alongside Douglas CPs and Shins – as a package deal, if need be – to associations. 

Likewise Smitty, being predominantly a uniforms / fabrics company, is in no position to wade in and develop an all-new CP. So, they brokered a deal with Douglas to brand a Douglas CP with the Smitty mark so it can be sold in Smitty's catalog, which is often supplied to associations as package deals.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, boyinr said:

Based on the above, any idea whose helmet this is?  I have never worn a bucket but there are a few fields that I think I would like one on.  I like the price point.

https://www.douglaspads.com/collections/protective-equipment/products/hockey-style-catchers-helmet 

I can't see the front of the bucket, but I think that's a UA (All Star) bucket.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, boyinr said:

Based on the above, any idea whose helmet this is?

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I can't see the front of the bucket, but I think that's a UA (All Star) bucket.

It's neither.

The first UnderArmour HSM, called the Victory, was nothing more than an All-Star MVP shell with a unique-to-UA cage bolted on (and dare I say, uglier): 

image.png.36cfae2430b07cae69f028fe6d7d77e4.png

The second rendition, called the Converge, departed from the All-Star family pretty radically. Not only was the cage updated, but the shell was completely redesigned. UA's project lead for baseball likely had a hand in it, and farmed it out to a different producer in China / Asia: 

image.png.a55705c2edc8ece07e1c999cede9aa2c.png

Ready for this? This Douglas is actually the same shell as a Champro Optimus, just with a different cage:  CM75_2__95168.1595346529.jpg?c=1

I don't know about you, and I will never claim to be a HSM wearer, but I'd be skeptical about a Champro shell and the padding behind it. I don't think Douglas put their own pads in it. I respect Douglas for hangin' in there and staying in the USA (instead of selling out to a Finnish international conglomerate, and watching all your time and resources – which could be spent improving your baseball and softball umpire gear – making golf, tennis, and basketball gear, where the accolades all go to the big-time brands anyway) 🤨... but they, too, haven't improved their foam beyond upholstery foam. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.  The Champro might be good enough.  But, if I go that route, I will buy an All Star MVP2400 or 2500 (the only difference is the removeable padding).   All Star sells the 2400 for $99.99 direct with free shipping over $99. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, boyinr said:

Thanks for the information.  The Champro might be good enough.  But, if I go that route, I will buy an All Star MVP2400 or 2500 (the only difference is the removeable padding).   All Star sells the 2400 for $99.99 direct with free shipping over $99. 

I think that's a much better choice - and the cage design on the AS is far superior in my opinion.

• Like 2