Jump to content

MLB umpires with lanyards hanging out of their pockets


SeeingEyeDog

Recommended Posts

 Could be a number of things.  There are times that they carry a stopwatch, field of dreams and Williamsport games recently where the clock infrastructure wasn’t built in. Other times the clock may simply not work that day so they carry it.  Heck the NBA has the PA announcer count down the shot clock if there is a malfunction.   
 

Sometimes it’s the locker room key. Sounds to simple at the MLB level. 
 

Could be a religious medallion type deal. One of them has, on occasion, had a small cross hanging out of a back pocket. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Pray tell, brothers...what is on the other end of the lanyard? I've seen some guys at my level with stopwatches in their pockets and lanyards hanging out managing the time limit...but, MLB umpires wouldn't need a stopwatch.

~Dawg

Yes they do, and that's what it is.   They have stopwatches for when games are televised and they can keep things on track.  The lanyards are indeed stopwatches.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I mean how was this game ever truly loved before it was ever shown on TV?

~Dawg

How could you not love baseball? :home: There's so much to love and like in the game! It's a chess-match, exercise, sunshine, Americana, manly and so much more! And in the day's when it was America's national pastime (prior to football), you could attend a game with your family more affordably.  It was a game of the people and for the people - and by the people.  Almost everyone in America knew how to play the game at that time - even hand grenades had to be shaped like a baseball because every man could throw the ball around at a minimum.  

Finally, let's not forget in the days prior to cell phones and technology, there wasn't nearly as much other entertainment available to families.  The weekly radio program was there, church on Wednesday and Sunday, but baseball was on the radio every day. Many of the games were played during the day (no lights) and were finished before dark. It was a family event to listen to the game or go and watch it.

I'd still rather watch the game in person versus viewing on TV anytime. And how do people even eat a hot dog without being at a baseball game?  You can't tell me they don't taste right/better while watching a game? :wave:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

How could you not love baseball? :home: There's so much to love and like in the game! It's a chess-match, exercise, sunshine, Americana, manly and so much more! And in the day's when it was America's national pastime (prior to football), you could attend a game with your family more affordably.  It was a game of the people and for the people - and by the people.  Almost everyone in America knew how to play the game at that time - even hand grenades had to be shaped like a baseball because every man could throw the ball around at a minimum.  

Finally, let's not forget in the days prior to cell phones and technology, there wasn't nearly as much other entertainment available to families.  The weekly radio program was there, church on Wednesday and Sunday, but baseball was on the radio every day. Many of the games were played during the day (no lights) and were finished before dark. It was a family event to listen to the game or go and watch it.

I'd still rather watch the game in person versus viewing on TV anytime. And how do people even eat a hot dog without being at a baseball game?  You can't tell me they don't taste right/better while watching a game? :wave:

Where do I start?  How about here: Keith just nailed this! (with one exception) ... football is NOT the national pastime.  Baseball still is (regardless of how much it's changed :nod: )    But, again, he is spot on in this post.  And let's not forget, baseball is STILL the most affordable sport (of the big 4) to attend!

The hot dogs are better, and the beer is SO MUCH colder at a baseball game!  Great post Keith! :cheers: 🍻

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

How could you not love baseball? :home: There's so much to love and like in the game! It's a chess-match, exercise, sunshine, Americana, manly and so much more! And in the day's when it was America's national pastime (prior to football), you could attend a game with your family more affordably.  It was a game of the people and for the people - and by the people.  Almost everyone in America knew how to play the game at that time - even hand grenades had to be shaped like a baseball because every man could throw the ball around at a minimum.  

Finally, let's not forget in the days prior to cell phones and technology, there wasn't nearly as much other entertainment available to families.  The weekly radio program was there, church on Wednesday and Sunday, but baseball was on the radio every day. Many of the games were played during the day (no lights) and were finished before dark. It was a family event to listen to the game or go and watch it.

I'd still rather watch the game in person versus viewing on TV anytime. And how do people even eat a hot dog without being at a baseball game?  You can't tell me they don't taste right/better while watching a game? :wave:

Clearly radio, TV and the internet have made the game more accessible and the fan experience more immersive.

None of that would have been possible without fans supporting the game as passionately as they did prior to August 5, 1921.

And how are we being rewarded 100 years later? The price of admission both figuratively and literally has cosmically risen.

Capitalist society and the market has supported it...and something has been lost on the way. We had season tickets for many years when I was growing up...family of 4. Now, my kids and I look at the 162 game schedule and play, "Hey! What 10 games are we going to this year?"

~Dawg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Clearly radio, TV and the internet have made the game more accessible and the fan experience more immersive.

None of that would have been possible without fans supporting the game as passionately as they did prior to August 5, 1921.

And how are we being rewarded 100 years later? The price of admission both figuratively and literally has cosmically risen.

Capitalist society and the market has supported it...and something has been lost on the way. We had season tickets for many years when I was growing up...family of 4. Now, my kids and I look at the 162 game schedule and play, "Hey! What 10 games are we going to this year?"

~Dawg

WHAT HASN'T 'COSMICALLY' RISEN in 100 years ?!? LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a big fan of the addition of the internet and televised games for MLB. I dont live near my closest baseball team (Seattle is almost 3 hours north of me) and I am over 10 hours from my Giants. I can count the number of games on both hands that I saw during our 3 pennant runs in the early/mid 2010s before the start of the post season. I've been to 2 MLB games since I moved here. One I happened to be in the Bay Area for. The other I traveled to Seattle, missing the first 3 innings because of traffic, to see the Giants play.

Advance time to last year and definitely this year. I have missed MAYBE a dozen games this season because of work/commitments/ballgames. 

The MLB App has been wonky as all hell this season. Randomly blacking out the TV feed of Giants games while allowing me to tune in and watch Mariners games. But then I just switch to the radio broadcast.

Yes... some times technology sucks. But I will always be a fan of it when I get to watch my team because I can't get down there to watch them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 11:03 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Pray tell, brothers...what is on the other end of the lanyard? I've seen some guys at my level with stopwatches in their pockets and lanyards hanging out managing the time limit...but, MLB umpires wouldn't need a stopwatch.

~Dawg

Back on topic for Jeff’s sake. I personally hate the look of the lanyard hanging  down like a tail.  We know you have a watch. To me I would almost rather see a wristwatch. Loop it on your belt and put it in your pocket. Only a inch or two of the string needs to show. Keep things nice and tidy.  Just my opinion. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/1/2021 at 10:03 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

but, MLB umpires wouldn't need a stopwatch.

You’re funny. On that same thought, why would NFL officials still need the “down indicator” loop that many officials wear and use? I mean, there’s 7-8 officials on a football crew, two “chain gang” crews, and everyone in the stadium knows it’s 4th down cuz’ the entire place’s mood changed to charge the very atmosphere with tenseness, anticipation and drama… right? Why would a NFL back judge or side judge need an indicator? 

image.jpeg.2430a81ea1dcc5775cfacb1a68a5b6bd.jpeg

1 hour ago, boyinr said:

Back on topic for Jeff’s sake.

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, boyinr said:

I personally hate the look of the lanyard hanging  down like a tail.  We know you have a watch. To me I would almost rather see a wristwatch. Loop it on your belt and put it in your pocket. Only a inch or two of the string needs to show. Keep things nice and tidy.  Just my opinion.

Humans are such wonderfully strange things. The more that conformity of uniformity is stressed and imposed, the more individualists will go to seemingly trivial details to express even the slightest of differentiation and uniqueness. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MadMax said:

You’re funny.

Funny how? I don't work MLB games. I don't know how or why things are done at that level. I was curious and I didn't understand why they would need a timepiece, so I asked a question about it to try and learn and expand my knowledge a little bit and become aware that perhaps the umpiring world might just be a little bit bigger than the varsity level I am at. I thought that was the purpose of this website.

On that same thought, why would NFL officials still need the “down indicator” loop that many officials wear and use? I mean, there’s 7-8 officials on a football crew, two “chain gang” crews, and everyone in the stadium knows it’s 4th down cuz’ the entire place’s mood changed to charge the very atmosphere with tenseness, anticipation and drama… right? Why would a NFL back judge or side judge need an indicator?

I haven't watched football since 1980. I have no clue why those officials do what they do... 

image.jpeg.2430a81ea1dcc5775cfacb1a68a5b6bd.jpeg

Thank you! 

Humans are such wonderfully strange things. The more that conformity of uniformity is stressed and imposed, the more individualists will go to seemingly trivial details to express even the slightest of differentiation and uniqueness.

My favorite t-shirt says, "You laugh at me because I am so different. I laugh at you because you are all the same." Until someone who is in a legit position of any authority to tell me not to do something and to do this other thing instead...imma' do me, because I'm not here very long.

~Dawg 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

the string doesn't hang out the back like they do on the MLB field.

Is that by uninfluenced choice, or by direction from an evaluator / trainer / colleague? 

If the latter, it’s amazing how pedantic and (in some cases) imposing some “evaluators” are regarding such trivial details that amount to nothing more than personal style. Gotta push that “conformity by uniformity / uniformity by conformity” agenda, dontchaknow. 🤫

The question really should be, “Yeah, but can you/he/she umpire?”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Is that by uninfluenced choice, or by direction from an evaluator / trainer / colleague? 

If the latter, it’s amazing how pedantic and (in some cases) imposing some “evaluators” are regarding such trivial details that amount to nothing more than personal style. Gotta push that “conformity by uniformity / uniformity by conformity” agenda, dontchaknow. 🤫

The question really should be, “Yeah, but can you/he/she umpire?”

Conformity? Geeez :rolleyes:    My God, relax ......  it's my choice based on logic.  Loop it through itself around my beltloop, and drop the stop-watch into my back pocket.   Easy to get to, with no chance of "dropping" it or it coming out of my pocket.  Yes, you can  still see the cord, and no, no one cares ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

Hell, I wear a stop watch on the bases but it's on my belt loop and in my back pocket, ...the string doesn't hang out the back like they do on the MLB field.    It's to keep the time between innings constant (keeps the game moving)

I suppose if I did have it dangling our of my pocket it could serve as true indication of my speed to an evaluator.  Kind of like a wind sock.  Coupled with my shoes with the white trim someone could be tricked into thinking I was fast.  

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I bought a stop watch for games with time limits (high school and lots of tournaments do that around here), only to find out it's a disaster.  The stop button gets pushed and it stops tracking time.

We're not supposed to wear a wrist watch, so I took it off and put it in my left ball bag (left bag for tools, right bag for baseballs).  That watch broke, so I replaced it.  The new one keeps having buttons pushed while in the ball bag.  Egad.

We're not supposed to have our phones with us on the field.  But now I'm down to putting my phone in my back pocket and running the timer.  It works marvelously.  I tell my partner in the pregame that's what I'm doing, and I NEVER pull my phone out unless there is a question about time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mac266 said:

The stop button gets pushed and it stops tracking time

Hint: Start the timer, then switch over to "clock" mode. Pressing the start/stop button then does nothing. Also, note the start time (preferably written on paper, but mentally if you have to). Then, even if it *does* get pressed, you can always figure it out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...