Ejection

Guest DfwABAsundevils

Question

Guest DfwABAsundevils

Ump told one of my players not to argue balls or strikes after he said “ump that was high as SH*#”

player gets back in his stance isn’t even looking at the ump and gets ejected. Ump claims the player said “you suck” after he told him not to argue balls or strikes. Do you think this is too short of a leash or was the umpire justified? This is an adult Rec league I’ve been in for three years and never seen anyone ejected. This new ump is also a collegiate umpire. I’m guess I’m wondering if he’s taking it a little too seriously in this instance. 

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

Ump told one of my players not to argue balls or strikes after he said “ump that was high as SH*#”

player gets back in his stance isn’t even looking at the ump and gets ejected. Ump claims the player said “you suck” after he told him not to argue balls or strikes. Do you think this is too short of a leash or was the umpire justified? This is an adult Rec league I’ve been in for three years and never seen anyone ejected. This new ump is also a collegiate umpire. I’m guess I’m wondering if he’s taking it a little too seriously in this instance. 

Three Ps for ejections…personal, prolonged, profane.

Your batter nailed two of them, good ejection.

If this was your first college umpire, means he *likely* is first who has the stones to throw someone out in an adult league.

And you sound like a TV broadcaster when they say “he wasn’t even looking back at him”.  So as long as batter looks away they can say whatever they want?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

Warning is right for the first comment, clearly an ejection (personal) for an adult rec player saying "you suck"

I guess I’m wondering if he’s taking one measly strike called too seriously in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

i guess I'm going to have to say that maybe the guys wearing umpire uniforms, bought who knows where, who have called balls and strikes for you the last three years have not been doing their job. Take that back. How can a guy who does not know his job be accused of not doing it. There might be a clearer version to story but as told even LL minors would get ejected.

14 hours ago, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

Just in general, what would your reaction be if someone said "you suck" to you (other than in the instances where guys who are friends say that to each other in a kidding manner)?  My guess is that you (justifiably) wouldn't take it well-- and neither should the umpire have to take it.

Hey, OP...please understand this is not simply a bunch of umpire brothers on an umpiring website closing ranks and supporting our brother's ejection.

You mention this is adult rec league but, not the rule set. Let's presume OBR...

By rule in OBR, arguing/disputing umpire judgement alone (generally but not limited to ball/strike, fair/foul and out/safe) is grounds for an ejection...

A player or manager who were to say in the most polite tone of voice, "Time please, Mr. Umpire...I apologize for holding up the game here but, I simply must strenuously object to your call on that last pitch. That was clearly a ball."? That alone is grounds for ejection. Now in that situation, because of the politeness and respect, most umpires would issue a warning before ejecting, even though again by rule under OBR, they are not required to do so! Most umpires in general will issue a warning in most circumstances where a player argues a ball/strike call. "If you continue down this path, you are going to be ejected..." is a common warning.

But, in your example...we have the lethal combination of BOTH arguing the umpire's judgement AND the player telling the umpire, "You suck..." I'm not sure what you felt the player deserved there but, you need to know that if an umpire doesn't eject that player in that circumstance...the entire umpire crew and players from both teams will be in for a very long game. What umpires permit to happen on ballfield, umpires promote. And if an umpire were to let a player argue balls and strikes AND be told, "You suck..." with no ejection they are saying to everyone on that field that day that that kind of behavior is ok and things will quickly spin out of control from there.

~Dawg

16 hours ago, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

Maybe "adults" in a rec (you know, short for 'recreation') league shouldn't be worried about the correctness of balls and strikes and just hit the F*#King ball.

• Like 1

Why? If its their job to just hit the ball it's the umpire's job to get\ the call correct.

It certainly is. So is getting pickle and mustard correct by the burger flipper at McDonalds. I’m not entitled to walk back into the restaurant, slam the burger on the floor and scream at the crew member they suck and that they need to get a clue about making sammiches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Maybe "adults" in a rec (you know, short for 'recreation') league shouldn't be worried about the correctness of balls and strikes and just hit the F*#King ball.

I think the phrase is .... "Swing the bat, meat."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich Ives said:

Why? If its their job to just hit the ball it's the umpire's job to get\ the call correct.

Because in the context of rec ball it's the baseball equivalent of a Karen asking to see the manager when her McDonald's root beer has too much ice in it....or yelling at the minimum wage staff who tells you your 5% off your Big Mac coupon expired six months ago.

Pick your battles.

The key word here is "adult".   

6 hours ago, Catch18 said:

It certainly is. So is getting pickle and mustard correct by the burger flipper at McDonalds. I’m not entitled to walk back into the restaurant, slam the burger on the floor and scream at the crew member they suck and that they need to get a clue about making sammiches.

Hey @Catch18...wait a tic...wouldn't that mean the McDonald's manager, you know...the person who has authority in the restaurant...wouldn't that mean they would have to...I don't know...EJECT that customer from the restaurant?

The parallels, man...the parallels here are just outta' sight, brother.

~Dawg

Hey [mention=4533]Catch18[/mention]...wait a tic...wouldn't that mean the McDonald's manager, you know...the person who has authority in the restaurant...wouldn't that mean they would have to...I don't know...EJECT that customer from the restaurant?
The parallels, man...the parallels here are just outta' sight, brother.
~Dawg

I never said he didn’t/couldn’t.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:01 PM, Guest DfwABAsundevils said:

I’m guess I’m wondering if he’s taking it a little too seriously in this instance.

Huh. "DFWABASundevils"... As in, Dallas-Forth Worth ABA Sun Devils? Are you coming over to the NABA WS Tournament in Phoenix in October? 

If you are, I'll look ya up, and get on your game. I'll show your batter what a real strike zone looks like. 

Got the contact info for that "new (college) ump"? I'd love to put him on my crew. 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.