Base runner

Guest Shane

Question

Bases loaded 2 outs. Winning run at third. Batter is hit by the pitch runner from third scores batter goes to first but the runner from first does not go to second. Instead he leaves the field to join the celebration without touching second to finish the play. An appeal was made that he did not go and touch second base. He was called out, run not allowed and the game continued. Was this the correct call

8 answers to this question

This should have been a time play so if R3 crossed before the appeal (even if the appeal were valid), then it should have counted.

I have my doubts about the appeal being valid.   Are you saying this is the bottom of the ninth (walk-off) situation?   Even if that is not the case, wouldn't R1 had to attempt to continue past second base after failing to touch it in order to make a missed base appeal?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, flyingron said:

This should have been a time play so if R3 crossed before the appeal (even if the appeal were valid), then it should have counted.

I have my doubts about the appeal being valid.   Are you saying this is the bottom of the ninth (walk-off) situation?   Even if that is not the case, wouldn't R1 had to attempt to continue past second base after failing to touch it in order to make a missed base appeal?

If this game was played under OBR/MLB/NCAA rules only the batter needed to touch 1B and R3 touch home for the run to count under a game winning HBP. If the game was played under FED all runners needed to touch their advance base and the appeal of r1 would be a force so no run would score. @flyingron this is the second appeal thread you have kicked.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, flyingron said:

Bases were loaded. B6 was HBP. Depends on rules set. 

OBR - Run scores.  Ballgame 

FED -  No run scores.  Extras 

On 8/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, flyingron said:

First - since it's an appeal on a forced base it's not a time play, it's a force.

Second - call it what you want...if R1 ran over to celebrate with his team and then went to the parking lot for beers it would be abandonment, would it not?  Same result.   Forced runner made third out (in FED).   As I understand it, the instruction is to not call abandonment, but treat it as an appeal, and if there is no appeal then there is no out.

44 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

First - since it's an appeal on a forced base it's not a time play, it's a force.

Second - call it what you want...if R1 ran over to celebrate with his team and then went to the parking lot for beers it would be abandonment, would it not?  Same result.   Forced runner made third out (in FED).   As I understand it, the instruction is to not call abandonment, but treat it as an appeal, and if there is no appeal then there is no out.

Did you see the OBR/FED difference posted above?

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

In OBR if this was a batted ball instead of an award R1 could be called out for abandonment and it would be a time play. But a fourth out appeal of the missed base would be a force out. FED doesn't address whether abandonment is a force out but in my FED games I'm leaving and not calling abandonment but ready to stop and rule on an appeal.

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

In OBR if this was a batted ball instead of an award R1 could be called out for abandonment and it would be a time play

I really hope this never comes up, because I see a loophole here in R1 or R2 running to the dugout to turn this into a time play.    I do find it odd...I figured ANY third out of a forced runner, including out of the base path and abandonment, would nullify the run(s).

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.