Best leather mask pads

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 922 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

5 hours ago, Scissors said:

Currently have been using the leather All-Star mag pads, but have been thinking of trying out Honigs or maybe even Belgard down the line. To anyone who's used them, how do they compare to the mag pads?

Belgard all the way

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tpatience said:

Belgard all the way

Are the Belgard really that much better than other pads?  I mean you're looking at $120+ after S&H for one set of them.  Are they that much better than TW, All Star MAG or Honig's leather pads? 

What's so much better about them? Feel... fit... or protection?

39 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Are the Belgard really that much better than other pads?  I mean you're looking at $120+ after S&H for one set of them.  Are they that much better than TW, All Star MAG or Honig's leather pads? 

Feel and fit. They are the most comfortable pads I’ve ever worn. Never been hit with them but the way that they wrap your jaw makes me feel they’re protective 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

That's what I was wondering, they look nice but I think the price is just too much to justify. How do you like the Honig's calfskin compared to the leather mags?

43 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

And in my opinion, nearly everything made in Japan is higher quality than stuff made in the US. Pads, way better. Pants, way better, chest protectors? Don’t even get me started 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, tpatience said:

And in my opinion, nearly everything made in Japan is higher quality than stuff made in the US. Pads, way better. Pants, way better, chest protectors? Don’t even get me started 

Thanks for replying.  I keep wanting to try some (really love the microfiber ones in all black) but the price scares me off. 

It sure does seem Japanese umpire gear is the gold standard in quality.

We have to remember, the All-Star LUC-Mags are a different animal than their standard LUC siblings – they're oversized, greater volume, and have that reinforcing plate inside of them. 

The only manufacturers that make leather-clad pads of any worth are Belgard and Honig's. Wilsons – despite originating as a leather goods company – are crudely made and full of primitive foam and wool as their rendition of "padding". They're like leather-encased sausages. Same goes for MacGregor and Rawlings. Champro is even worse. 

All-Star does make leather pads rather well, but the simple LMX pads don't have enough volume for us, nor include the reinforcing plate. Force3 can't be included in this discussion (yet, @JimKirk ) because their pads are designed for use on the dual-framed Defender masks only. That's a shame, because other than All-Star in the LUC-Mag pad, no one has placed any advanced materials into a leather-clad mask pad. Force3 actually places a laminate of Kevlar, Memory Foam, and EVA foam inside!

With that said, Belgard makes an exceptionally well-designed pad. They are the only ones I've ever seen that not only use premium leather, but also arrange the padding into segments, complete with chin relief. Sure, these features drive the price up, but the primary reason these pads cost so much is the import tax / fees! Why? Because it threatens Wilson's (and other manufacturers') grip on the market! If you can't beat them (on quality), invoke a trade law or regulation, and keep 'em out of your territory! Even if you have moved all your production out of the USA and have it done nearby in low-cost China!! 

Honig's is, perhaps, the next best thing. Their leather is supple, and not only do they cut the pads to more accommodating shape, but they also have padding volume inside that creates that all-important standoff distance. 

1 hour ago, tpatience said:

And in my opinion, nearly everything made in Japan is higher quality than stuff made in the US.

True, except one lone catch – the stuff isn't made in the USA. It's made by USA-origin companies having all their products made in China, and then shipped over for maximum profit.

• Like 4

Love the Honigs, especially the squared off look, the tan color, and the non-standout logo.  They fit my chin nicely, more so rest on my chin “shelf” nicely. Also, thick-ish, so I feel like they have some protection to then even though they are just foam inside. 

Biggest thing, they fit in and look nice in different frames. I’ve had them in Nike, Wilson titanium, alum, and dynalight, Adidas, Diamond, All-star, and the Honigs frame over the years. Looks good in all of them. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, eagle_12 said:

Love the Honigs, especially the squared off look, the tan color, and the non-standout logo.  They fit my chin nicely, more so rest on my chin “shelf” nicely. Also, thick-ish, so I feel like they have some protection to then even though they are just foam inside. 

Biggest thing, they fit in and look nice in different frames. I’ve had them in Nike, Wilson titanium, alum, and dynalight, Adidas, Diamond, All-star, and the Honigs frame over the years. Looks good in all of them. 

I think I'm sold on the Honigs, they look safe and good to hear they're comfortable.

• Like 1

Nic buys about 4 pair or more every years as he fears they will stop making them. I also use the Honigs pads on 2 Nike Ti frames. I have the Mag which I like due to the feel and protection of the LUC bottom pad.

• Like 4

On 8/29/2021 at 9:53 PM, Scissors said:

I think I'm sold on the Honigs, they look safe and good to hear they're comfortable.

Honig's is a solid choice. I really like the AS MAG pads, but after those the Honig's leathers are my favorite.  Classic looks and fit well in most frames, plus they just seem to fit my face well.  And they feel great on a cool plate in the Spring!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Scissors said:

Well here's an update, went with the tan Honig's leathers. I wanted something a little lower profile than the mag pads. Took a bar bender foul to the chin tonight and really feeling it. Will probably go back to the mags now.

I should’ve told you that I took a shot with Hongis and never went back to them. That’s why if I do leather pads, they’re belgards 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tpatience said:

I should’ve told you that I took a shot with Hongis and never went back to them. That’s why if I do leather pads, they’re belgards 

Maybe I'll cough up the money for them over the offseason. The mags are bulkier and a bit heavier but for now they'll work for me

On 9/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, Scissors said:

Maybe I'll cough up the money for them over the offseason. The mags are bulkier and a bit heavier but for now they'll work for me

I found that I really liked the MAG pads (I abhor leather pads so mine are microfiber). Going from Team Wendy, it took getting used to. But I plan to use the MAG pads on all my masks going forward.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

I found that I really liked the MAG pads (I abhor leather pads so mine are microfiber). Going from Team Wendy, it took getting used to. But I plan to use the MAG pads on all my masks going forward.

Yeah I've liked using them and they feel very protective, on my icons though they tend to ride up and obstruct my vision a bit. I've had to put some zip ties covered with electric tape on the frame to hold them down but it works. Feels much more protective than the standard LUC pads.