Jump to content

Plate Coat- Outwest v. Honigs


eagle_12

Recommended Posts

Opinions on either of these companies since both have been on the market for couple years now. I know people that have the earlier “model” of Honigs and the quality of them. Haven’t run into anyone with an Out West model yet. 
 

Probably will wear it 4-6 times a year in 45-60* weather. 
 

search function doesn’t show much recent activity 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, eagle_12 said:

Opinions on either of these companies since both have been on the market for couple years now. I know people that have the earlier “model” of Honigs and the quality of them. Haven’t run into anyone with an Out West model yet. 
 

Probably will wear it 4-6 times a year in 45-60* weather. 
 

search function doesn’t show much recent activity 

I can't compare the two, as I only have the Outwest one, but it's sufficient for that type of activity. 

However, it is the only thing I will ever own of theirs as I got it before they conducted themselves unethically with two suppliers (of which I'm aware.)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, umpstu said:

No kidding.  I'm wanting to know that.

I believe he's referring to:

  1. OutWest brothers agreeing to market UmpLife products as his exclusive supplier in US, then making their own versions of his products to sell at cheaper prices.  There was a big to-do about it on UmpLife FaceBook page and a bit on here too awhile back (maybe 12-16 months ago).  
  2. The second unethical thing I believe he meant was when All Star was testing the Cobalt CP.  Only the testers had them and they were not ready to be mass produced yet, but OutWest jumped the gun and made a deal about it on their website and FaceBook pages - complete with a special offer for sales!  In short, if you bought one today, or by a certain date, then you got it for like $60 off the retail price! It was a good deal, but I understood that All Star management was very upset that they did this without their permission.  All Star wasn't really advertising the CP yet, so didn't really want all this publicity on an unfinished/tested product.  As a result, once they finished testing and began production, AS supplied OutWest much later than other places like Ump-Attire.

There are some very outspoken folks on here and UL FB page who don't think any umpire should ever do business with OutWest going forward, but this is a personal decision each of us must consider and decide.  You do you is my reaction to all of this.

What makes all of this very awkward is that OutWest also runs the best selling wall for used/new umpire gear on Facebook.  They ran it prior to becoming OutWest, but it is under their name now.  It's hard to say you won't do business with them on one hand and then use their wall to sell something on the other.  I could share my opinion on things, but it really doesn't matter what I do - you decide what is fair and just for your situation and then do accordingly.  I won't judge you however you decide.

I will say that, based on my personal experience, Ray's products (UmpLife) are of significantly better material and craftsmanship than OutWest's. I've tried the mask and CP harness from both and Ray's are much better, so you are getting what you pay for in the end.  The main problem is that their elastic is much stretchier than his.  Ray's elastic stays/holds in place for you, while their version seems to keep slipping/stretching requiring more adjustments.  Finally, Ray offers full customization whereas OutWest does not offer it at this time.

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I believe he's referring to:

  1. OutWest brothers agreeing to market UmpLife products as his exclusive supplier in US, then making their own versions of his products to sell at cheaper prices.  There was a big to-do about it on UmpLife FaceBook page and a bit on here too awhile back (maybe 12-16 months ago).  
  2. The second unethical thing I believe he meant was when All Star was testing the Cobalt CP.  Only the testers had them and they were not ready to be mass produced yet, but OutWest jumped the gun and made a deal about it on their website and FaceBook pages - complete with a special offer for sales!  In short, if you bought one today, or by a certain date, then you got it for like $60 off the retail price! It was a good deal, but I understood that All Star management was very upset that they did this without their permission.  All Star wasn't really advertising the CP yet, so didn't really want all this publicity on an unfinished/tested product.  As a result, once they finished testing and began production, AS supplied OutWest much later than other places like Ump-Attire.

There are some very outspoken folks on here and UL FB page who don't think any umpire should ever do business with OutWest going forward, but this is a personal decision each of us must consider and decide.  You do you is my reaction to all of this.

What makes all of this very awkward is that OutWest also runs the best selling wall for used/new umpire gear on Facebook.  They ran it prior to becoming OutWest, but it is under their name now.  It's hard to say you won't do business with them on one hand and then use their wall to sell something on the other.  I could share my opinion on things, but it really doesn't matter what I do - you decide what is fair and just for your situation and then do accordingly.  I won't judge you however you decide.

I will say that, based on my personal experience, Ray's products (UmpLife) are of significantly better material and craftsmanship than OutWest's. I've tried the mask and CP harness from both and Ray's are much better, so you are getting what you pay for in the end.  The main problem is that their elastic is much stretchier than his.  Ray's elastic stays/holds in place for you, while their version seems to keep slipping/stretching requiring more adjustments.  Finally, Ray offers full customization whereas OutWest does not offer it at this time.

 

 

Thank you, and this is the accurate explanation to what I said above (with some additional commentary.)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe he's referring to:

  1. "OutWest brothers agreeing to market UmpLife products as his exclusive supplier in US, then making their own versions of his products to sell at cheaper prices." Absolutely not true at all. I agreed to sell them products with my logo and OW the on it with the condition they could not customize and UL products they purchased. I started getting photos sent to me with custom graphics which I did not do. I was trying to help OW with products and they threw it back in my face. I cut them off and a few weeks later they Knocked off three of my products. UL products are available through me or Ump-Attire.com.  UA is my only Distributor World Wide and it is a pleasure working with the staff and President and CEO Jim Kirk. Our deal was never signed on a paper, it was a handshake based on trust. I cannot say that about a small company I tried to help.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Razzer said:

I believe he's referring to:

  1. "OutWest brothers agreeing to market UmpLife products as his exclusive supplier in US, then making their own versions of his products to sell at cheaper prices." Absolutely not true at all. I agreed to sell them products with my logo and OW the on it with the condition they could not customize and UL products they purchased. I started getting photos sent to me with custom graphics which I did not do. I was trying to help OW with products and they threw it back in my face. I cut them off and a few weeks later they Knocked off three of my products. UL products are available through me or Ump-Attire.com.  UA is my only Distributor World Wide and it is a pleasure working with the staff and President and CEO Jim Kirk. Our deal was never signed on a paper, it was a handshake based on trust. I cannot say that about a small company I tried to help.

The above was an attempt to remember past events based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the situation.  I appreciate you clarifying it for all of us. 

I fully agree that Jim Kirk and Ump-Attire are class all the way.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2021 at 7:57 AM, wolfe_man said:

The above was an attempt to remember past events based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the situation.  I appreciate you clarifying it for all of us. 

I fully agree that Jim Kirk and Ump-Attire are class all the way.

No Problem WOLFE_MAN

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I have the most recent version of the Hongis Plate Coat. They have a new supplier now other than Hardwicks. I picked it up this past February. The turn around was very fast, as they do have standard sizes in stock. You can get on in 3-5 days./ I also had them put my uniform number on the sleeve. This also makes the jacket non-returnable so make sure you have the size right if you are having a number added. Once you place an order, they will have you verify your shoulder and chest measurements with chest protector on. Coats come in Long and Regular sizes, no short lengths. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

My black one is by Out West and my navy blue one is a Fechheimer that was gifted by a retiring umpire.  You cannot buy the latter anymore, but it was the best thing ever made.

I don't know about Honig's, but I can definitely see a quality difference between my Out West and the Fechheimer.  Out West is acceptable, but for a custom made garment I'm pretty livid at their recommendations.  They told me to buy a size larger and have it tailored down.  The tailoring cost me $110 because I took their recommendations on sizing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, mac266 said:

My black one is by Out West and my navy blue one is a Fechheimer that was gifted by a retiring umpire.  You cannot buy the latter anymore, but it was the best thing ever made.

I don't know about Honig's, but I can definitely see a quality difference between my Out West and the Fechheimer.  Out West is acceptable, but for a custom made garment I'm pretty livid at their recommendations.  They told me to buy a size larger and have it tailored down.  The tailoring cost me $110 because I took their recommendations on sizing.  

The made in USA Fechheimers were the gold standard.  Nothing will ever come close IMO (I have one from 2006 ish still in near perfect shape)

 

On 9/30/2021 at 1:41 AM, Fittske24 said:

I have the most recent version of the Hongis Plate Coat. They have a new supplier now other than Hardwicks. I picked it up this past February. The turn around was very fast, as they do have standard sizes in stock. You can get on in 3-5 days./ I also had them put my uniform number on the sleeve. This also makes the jacket non-returnable so make sure you have the size right if you are having a number added. Once you place an order, they will have you verify your shoulder and chest measurements with chest protector on. Coats come in Long and Regular sizes, no short lengths. 

is there a label showing who is making them now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I have come to understand over the last few years. The OW coat is not as well made as the old Fechheimer or the Honigs/Hardwicks coat. But what it does do is perform better in adverse weather. In particular, the rain and snow.

I'm sure someone will correct me here. But that is just what I have gathered from reviews of the OW coat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, FranklinT said:

The made in USA Fechheimers were the gold standard.  Nothing will ever come close IMO (I have one from 2006 ish still in near perfect shape)

 

is there a label showing who is making them now?

yes, but do you have the other jacket in the picture. come on, you know you want one. (where's the letters on some of the hats)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/04/sports/1973-new-fashion-baseball-umpires-was-strictly-judgment-call/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...