Hey, Max....

HokieUmp

@MadMax:  I know we had our disagreement over Navy still being a viable colour for umpires back a few years ago.  I'm fine with all my black shirts, but I just didn't, and don't, want to chase fashion solely for the sake of chasing fashion.  (And I feel there IS a faction of umpires that *do*, out there in the wild.)

But I'd like to reach a hand across the aisle, not least of which because the decision has already been made by umpires in general, but ALSO because I think we have a mutual enemy.  I think you and I should be able to get together and agree .....

..... those all-blue Dodger uniforms suck.  And suck hard.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HokieUmp said:

@MadMax:  I know we had our disagreement over Navy still being a viable colour for umpires back a few years ago.  I'm fine with all my black shirts, but I just didn't, and don't, want to chase fashion solely for the sake of chasing fashion.  (And I feel there IS a faction of umpires that *do*, out there in the wild.)

But I'd like to reach a hand across the aisle, not least of which because the decision has already been made by umpires in general, but ALSO because I think we have a mutual enemy.  I think you and I should be able to get together and agree .....

..... those all-blue Dodger uniforms suck.  And suck hard.

I like them

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, umpstu said:

I like them

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the colour itself.  That shade of blue is very striking, and it seems really good in HD when watching the game.  But ALL blue?  Both top and bottom?  No, grrl - don't work that way.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 12:00 PM, HokieUmp said:

those all-blue Dodger uniforms suck. 

19 hours ago, umpstu said:

I like them

AP21233092281388.jpg

You mean these blue-on-blue mash-ups? Yeah… uhhh… 🤮

All these (the “Los Dodgers”, the Boston canaries, the Wrigleyville ones, etc) just prove is that Nike doesn’t care about baseball. They just throw a design brief out on the table at a morning meeting, the four or five creative directors look at each other… yawn… hand the briefs off to their art directors, and go back to their latest BLM-fueled design campaigns for overpaid NFL and NBA accounts. 

Think about it… who is actually going to buy those pants??? Nobody

So yeah, they become atrocious mash-ups (often garish primitives) with terrible foresight, often just thrown out there just to cause a market response. Of course, since today’s generation see Likes, Follows, and Re-tweets as some sort of egotistical currency, the creatives regress into gestural spitballs flung at the giant, cracked slate board of the interconnected global marketplace. 

Sure. Big words. But it’s more or less crayon drawings put on mom’s refrigerator. They have no idea why things are the way they are, or what purpose they play. Remember the all-white and all-grey uniforms they had for “players week” in 2019? How they didn’t know why a MLB pitcher’s ballcap cannot be all-white? Then had to have pitchers wear their standard ballcap, or the all-grey version?

What concerns me, @HokieUmp, is that Nike will do even worse for us as umpires. They won’t know what we need, and why we need it… and won’t even bother to investigate and put any work into it… because they don’t care about us. 

And, for the record, I’m not against navy, as a color, itself. I’m against the reasons behind mandating its use. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MadMax said:

AP21233092281388.jpg

You mean these blue-on-blue mash-ups? Yeah… uhhh… 🤮

All these (the “Los Dodgers”, the Boston canaries, the Wrigleyville ones, etc) just prove is that Nike doesn’t care about baseball. They just throw a design brief out on the table at a morning meeting, the four or five creative directors look at each other… yawn… hand the briefs off to their art directors, and go back to their latest BLM-fueled design campaigns for overpaid NFL and NBA accounts. 

Think about it… who is actually going to buy those pants??? Nobody

So yeah, they become atrocious mash-ups (often garish primitives) with terrible foresight, often just thrown out there just to cause a market response. Of course, since today’s generation see Likes, Follows, and Re-tweets as some sort of egotistical currency, the creatives regress into gestural spitballs flung at the giant, cracked slate board of the interconnected global marketplace. 

Sure. Big words. But it’s more or less crayon drawings put on mom’s refrigerator. They have no idea why things are the way they are, or what purpose they play. Remember the all-white and all-grey uniforms they had for “players week” in 2019? How they didn’t know why a MLB pitcher’s ballcap cannot be all-white? Then had to have pitchers wear their standard ballcap, or the all-grey version?

What concerns me, @HokieUmp, is that Nike will do even worse for us as umpires. They won’t know what we need, and why we need it… and won’t even bother to investigate and put any work into it… because they don’t care about us. 

And, for the record, I’m not against navy, as a color, itself. I’m against the reasons behind mandating its use. 

Get off of my lawn

4 hours ago, MadMax said:

I don't doubt your reasoning.  MY solace is that I'm not going to rise to a level when I'll be in Nike gear.  I *might* end up doing some form of college ball, but I doubt it - I'm heading for Down East North Carolina, so I'll be happy just to get ANY games, never mind a lot of higher level opportunities.  So unless Nike's bullSH*# filters way down, I can't see it affect me.

But yeah, that all-blue nonsense definitely struck me as some art college students - who may or may not ever have watched a game - let loose without adult supervision.  As a Nats fan, I'm already sad enough not seeing Max Scherzer in a Nats uni - but seeing him in those pajama-looking things made me even sadder.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys! 

https://www.umpirequipment.com/shirts

I am going to start throwing money at these guys… willingly! 

Black with digital camo? Yes please! 
image.thumb.jpeg.fa2317a2ff403d89fe9770640f4f2f4d.jpeg

I can still honor Pink Campaigns (and JS 💝) while not looking like a flamingo? Huzzah! 
image.jpeg.3c8a31e318bb5b9e954766b7f7d4383a.jpeg

Do a proper Canada Day / Canadian baseball game? I’m all a-boot it!!

image.thumb.jpeg.9787b38a6c7481382e5b8725997264e8.jpeg

How about an Independence Day without having to trot out navy, and not wanting to wear the gaudy (and some say dishonourable) flag shirt? Sign me up! 
image.thumb.jpeg.559de539786611de425404fbb0a7d2d7.jpeg

How about we thumb our nose at the traditionalists (stubborn old farts) and knock the red out of the navy shirt “they” force us to wear? Let’s do it! I’ll come back to Wisconsin just to do it! 
image.thumb.jpeg.cd62106fa1e4b4f7ce9cc52f55bc7046.jpeg

Last, let’s get the transition underway! Got a HS association who just won’t relinquish on navy? 
image.thumb.jpeg.f88106dac8a325f5fe0e982b5659794f.jpeg

What?! It’s got navy on it! 

• Haha 1