Whelp...that's a first

mac266
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 947 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I posted a thread about inheriting a navy blue Fechheimer plate coat from a retiring umpire.  I still haven't used it, but I'm working the plate tomorrow.  I finally got in touch with my partner this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure he didn't know what a plate coat is.  When I brought it up, he was upset that "everyone has to match."  Ummm....only the plate umpire wears a plate coat, so if there are only two umpires, then all the base umpire has to do is wear some kind of blue when PU has a navy blue plate coat, or any type of black when the PU's plate coat is black.  He didn't get this, and kept going on about jackets -- black with the powder blue stripes, all black, etc.  I couldn't get him to understand that I was talking about a PLATE COAT -- you know, it looks like a suit coat with big pockets -- not a jacket.  As of now, we're just going to wear powder blue tomorrow because he still doesn't know what a plate coat is.

The dude has been umpiring for 11 years.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

As of now, we're just going to wear powder blue tomorrow because he still doesn't know what a plate coat is.

And this is the default choice??!!

3664A291-20D9-420A-97EF-FD5260A13A24.gif.b8c6ff5d1009acfc36f1dbc7e0a4f55d.gif

Knock me out now, ease the inevitable suffering. 

UPDATE:  This morning he backed out on me, so I’m working alone.  He was mad that I wanted to do a pre-game, mad that he was originally assigned the plate (I offered to take it because he would have been coming from work), was mad that we wouldn’t match if I wore the plate coat (he was convinced I was talking about jackets), and this morning he texted me that he’s backing out because he has to work longer than planned.  I’m convinced he just doesn’t want to work with me.  Oh well.