Whelp...that's a first

mac266

I posted a thread about inheriting a navy blue Fechheimer plate coat from a retiring umpire.  I still haven't used it, but I'm working the plate tomorrow.  I finally got in touch with my partner this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure he didn't know what a plate coat is.  When I brought it up, he was upset that "everyone has to match."  Ummm....only the plate umpire wears a plate coat, so if there are only two umpires, then all the base umpire has to do is wear some kind of blue when PU has a navy blue plate coat, or any type of black when the PU's plate coat is black.  He didn't get this, and kept going on about jackets -- black with the powder blue stripes, all black, etc.  I couldn't get him to understand that I was talking about a PLATE COAT -- you know, it looks like a suit coat with big pockets -- not a jacket.  As of now, we're just going to wear powder blue tomorrow because he still doesn't know what a plate coat is.

The dude has been umpiring for 11 years.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mac266 said:

As of now, we're just going to wear powder blue tomorrow because he still doesn't know what a plate coat is.

And this is the default choice??!!

3664A291-20D9-420A-97EF-FD5260A13A24.gif.b8c6ff5d1009acfc36f1dbc7e0a4f55d.gif

Knock me out now, ease the inevitable suffering. 

@mac266, sometimes in life we have to ask for forgiveness instead of permission...

I have it on very good authority that ketchup was spilled all over every umpire uniform shirt you own today...

Damn the ignorance...wear that plate coat with pride, brother. You can always ask for forgiveness later.

~Dawg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

UPDATE:  This morning he backed out on me, so I’m working alone.  He was mad that I wanted to do a pre-game, mad that he was originally assigned the plate (I offered to take it because he would have been coming from work), was mad that we wouldn’t match if I wore the plate coat (he was convinced I was talking about jackets), and this morning he texted me that he’s backing out because he has to work longer than planned.  I’m convinced he just doesn’t want to work with me.  Oh well.  

2 hours ago, kylehutson said:

And here I am just trying to imagine wearing a plate coat in August. Where I am, I'd pass out before the 2nd inning from the heat.

Yeah, I didn't even wear it because it was 93 degrees :)