Going in to 2B Standing Up on Double Play Ball

User167
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 954 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

OBR, on an obvious double play ball, can R1 go straight into 2B standing up, or MUST he slide or veer off? Going in standing up he risks being called for IF, yes, but can he go in standing up and no IF called, assuming he did nothing intentional like waving his hands, etc?

I mean...you're answering your own question here...

There's no FPSR in OBR so, if a runner can arrive at a base standing up without interfering with a fielder, he is not required to slide or veer.

Interference is umpire judgement. If the runner interferes with the fielder as he is coming into the base, the umpire must declare the runner out.

Unless I am missing something here...

~Dawg

2 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I mean...you're answering your own question here...

There's no FPSR in OBR so, if a runner can arrive at a base standing up without interfering with a fielder, he is not required to slide or veer.

Interference is umpire judgement. If the runner interferes with the fielder as he is coming into the base, the umpire must declare the runner out.

Unless I am missing something here...

~Dawg

Are you forgetting this:

Rule 6.01(a )(5) Comment: If the batter or a runner continues
to advance or returns or attempts to return to his last legally
touched base after he has been put out, he shall not by that act
alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the
fielders.

OBR does have a slide rule for double plays—generally force plays at 2B, sometimes HP—namely 6.01(j)

(j) Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts

If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01.

After defining what a "bona fide" (or legal) slide is, the rule adds:

A runner who engages in a “bona fide slide” shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner’s contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner’s legal pathway to the base.

The provision allowing retired runners to continue to run the bases is irrelevant, as it is qualified by "by that act alone." 6.01(j) prohibits retired runners going in standing and hindering the defense. Such hindrance is not the "act alone" of running the bases.

MLB/MiLB, like FED and NCAA, wants runners to slide or veer off on force plays, and lowers the bar for INT if they don't.

28 minutes ago, maven said:

OBR does have a slide rule for double plays—generally force plays at 2B, sometimes HP—namely 6.01(j)

After defining what a "bona fide" (or legal) slide is, the rule adds:

The provision allowing retired runners to continue to run the bases is irrelevant, as it is qualified by "by that act alone." 6.01(j) prohibits retired runners going in standing and hindering the defense. Such hindrance is not the "act alone" of running the bases.

MLB/MiLB, like FED and NCAA, wants runners to slide or veer off on force plays, and lowers the bar for INT if they don't.

i don't see where 6.01(j) prohibits a runner from continuing to run and touch his base whether he's retired or not. The lack of a bona fide slide also requires some attempt to make contact. The pivot man is usually behind or off to the side. If he's behind and can't find a lane to throw due to a runner on the base I wouldn't call that a violation.

12 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

The lack of a bona fide slide also requires some attempt to make contact.

That's not what it says.

13 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

If he's behind and can't find a lane to throw due to a runner on the base I wouldn't call that a violation.

Of course not. No hindrance = no INT. Who suggested otherwise?

From the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 6.7, pp. 98-99) discussing OBR 6.01(j):

Even in the absence of a bona fide slide, the umpire still must find that the conduct of the runner “interferes with, obstructs, impedes, hinders or confuses any fielder attempting to make a play…”

When a runner who does not engage in a bona fide slide makes contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, such contact will be deemed to have “hindered and impeded” the fielder for purposes of interpreting Rule 6.01(j). However, there may be instances where the runner does not make contact—or makes only incidental or minimal contact—with the fielder. In such cases, the umpire will use his judgment to determine whether the runner “hindered and impeded” the fielder and thereby violated the Rule.

• Like 1