LL Base Path

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 972 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Out of the base path? Maybe, but that's a geometry question. I can see it either way. 

As for the head first, was it a slide? I think the whole questions there, as LL brain trusts I've heard from, was there a slide involved? Some say there was no skidding along the ground, thus no slide. Others don't take that into account, and just see the head leading the advance. 

14 minutes ago, SH0102 said:

I have a hard time reading people justify “flying” through the air head first as legal bc it isn’t a slide on the ground

Maybe it depends on how gracefully you land

image.png.1feaed05e7ed254e893f17cdd24e6027.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Why is my opinion wrong? It's how I see it.

Umpires at the game didn't think it was head first either.

C’mon Coach. So now you’re crediting these umps for their judgment?  So what was it, a HF DIVE?

13 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Why is my opinion wrong? It's how I see it.

Umpires at the game didn't think it was head first either.

Did you ask them?

I think your increasing desire to ignore reality for shock value might have something to do with the increased cachet of someone else.

4 hours ago, maven said:
9 hours ago, Matt said:

I think your increasing desire to ignore reality for shock value might have something to do with the increased cachet of someone else.

There's a lot of that going around these days.

Well, that's ominous. Is @Rich Ives Brad Pitt's cousin or something?

On 8/15/2021 at 6:18 PM, SH0102 said:

Since the point of no head first slide is safety, I have a hard time reading people justify “flying” through the air head first as legal bc it isn’t a slide on the ground.

True, but there's something in between.

Going from upright, to prone, without a slide/leap/flight.

This kid more falls to the plate than dives/slides.  Yes, his head is between the plate and his feet...if that makes it a head first slide, so be it, but I think there's more to it than that.

To me, the kid goes from two feet outside the chalk to two feet inside - this looks like outside the base path to me.

However - What's the LL rule for OBS - catcher was in the runner's way before ball arrived...With R2 about 20 feet from home plate the catcher moves into his path, and doesn't yet have the ball, and R2 is reacting to it by slowing down.  This looks like OBS to me.  

I know LL mostly follows OBR, but it would surprise me, with all the other safety protocols in LL, that they would maintain the "in the act of receiving the ball" exception.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

I know LL mostly follows OBR, but it would surprise me, with all the other safety protocols in LL, that they would maintain the "in the act of receiving the ball" exception.

LL does not have the "in the act of fielding the ball" provision in their definition of obstruction.

• Thanks 1