Fair to foul and batter doing stupid but gets far enough out of the way.

Jimurray

Braves give up lead on 5 pitches and 0 hits, a breakdown - YouTube

On Jomboy. Looks like PU got blocked and didn't signal anything on bunt. I'm guessing that U3 has a better angle than us but I couldn't overrule fair from the video angle. I don't have BI on the batter backing out because he was well clear but that is asking for BI with a steal of 3B.

10 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Braves give up lead on 5 pitches and 0 hits, a breakdown - YouTube

On Jomboy. Looks like PU got blocked and didn't signal anything on bunt. I'm guessing that U3 has a better angle than us but I couldn't overrule fair from the video angle. I don't have BI on the batter backing out because he was well clear but that is asking for BI with a steal of 3B.

I'm very surprised this got to the point of discussion. All of my 3 (or more)-umpire crews give up fair/foul on bunts to that side's umpire.

2 hours ago, Jimurray said:

Even when the PU can rule on it? A La Cuzzi?

PU can if not signaled pre-pitch, but that goes back to "the look." If PU has nothing (as can happen in fair/foul, ball hitting batter/batter hitting ball, tag/no tag, etc.) the glance at that base umpire tells them to take it if they have something.

In this case, with/without the look and absent a signal, I fully expect U3 to come up with this unless screened (think of this kinda like a ball hit into the batter's foot--if PU isn't doing anything, any umpire can come up with it.) The fact that it was overturned tells me he wasn't, which is why I have some heartburn over how this happened.

With a pre-pitch signal, this means that U3 is the primary--that didn't happen here, nor would I expect it in this situation, so I understand him not immediately signaling, but once there was nothing from PU (which seems to be the case) he needs to come up with it if he has something definitive.

• Like 2

When I did 3-man with some higher level umpires, I was told with a runner on 3rd and U3 in D (R3 only, R2 or R2/R3 and less than 2 outs), on a bunt or dribbler down the 3rd baseline, I as PU have fair/foul up until R3 coming down line, and U3 takes it if ball gets past runner.  

Was told same does not apply down 1st since U1 would be positioning for a call at 1st and not staying on line to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SH0102 said:

When I did 3-man with some higher level umpires, I was told with a runner on 3rd and U3 in D (R3 only, R2 or R2/R3 and less than 2 outs), on a bunt or dribbler down the 3rd baseline, I as PU have fair/foul up until R3 coming down line, and U3 takes it if ball gets past runner.  

Was told same does not apply down 1st since U1 would be positioning for a call at 1st and not staying on line to help.

Where I am, U1 on the line still has the responsibility--as U1 on a bunt with a fair/foul issue, I'm not coming off the line to make the call at first anyway.

The issue I have with the way you were taught is that it creates a no-mans-land in the vicinity of R3 especially with a RH batter. U3 has nothing to do on this play other than to have the whole thing in front of them.

• Like 1