Let's start rippin' the LL umpires...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/little-league-batter-reaction-umpire-strike-call-video-pitch-texas

I guess ESPN's "undying" support of LL indeed has its limits. "We're paying so, we'll present it anyway we think we can best sell ad time."

To all the LL umpires who work locally, right to those who go to Williamsport...you have my utmost respect for what you do and what you do for the game. It's sad to see you done like this on national TV.

~Dawg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What an absolute Troll! That pitch was a little outside for a LL Regional, but not by much!! -- and the pitcher almost hit his spot. Regular season Little League Majors, a pitch like that in the power zone that maybe brushes the chalk, "Dude, you better be swinging, because I'm likely banging that for Strike 1 or 2, and maybe even 3--depends on the game and the pitchers." I've seen pitches even farther outside called strikes during the College World Series.

"Major League umpires have been under increased scrutiny in recent years because, well, they’ve been terrible. Pitchers are throwing faster and with more movement than ever before, and umpires — like Angel Hernandez — have generally been unable to adjust with any consistent accuracy."  That's a false statement, even for an opinion hack piece.

"But if you thought Major League umpires were bad, let me introduce you to Little League umpires."

"Little League umps generally work games on a volunteer basis, and their training doesn’t approach that of even the worst high school umpire." That's also a provably false statement.  I still work some volunteer LL games, and their umpire training far surpasses that of most high school programs, at least in the Western Region. Their 3-day clinics are phenomenal, and their week long umpire clinic in San Bernardino is fantastic--much better and more intense than the weeklong I also went to put on by a couple guys who wrote a great mechanics book (that also was a great clinic, the LL one was just better).

What a Troll. What a hack.

5 hours ago, Recontra said:

" I've seen pitches even farther outside called strikes during the College World Series.

The guy missed a pitch bad. We all do. There are a few in MLB even recently. But could you pull up that bad a miss in the CWS. NCAA does put video up on their Arbiter site to dissuade umps from calling white line strikes and a few do happen in the regular season that are that bad. Or the guy doesn't care cause he knows the assignor and he wants bats swinging?

I have worked both a LL regional and the LLWS.

I have had 3 nationally televised plate jobs in those tournaments (when I did the regional, only the semis and the finals were televised, and I worked the final).

My mindset when I worked those plates was this - this is the best LL has to offer and these pitchers will either hit the plate or they can bring someone in who will. I didn't go out or in or up or down.

After my regional, I watched my work pitch for pitch and there was one pitch I wanted back that didn't even register at the time - a breaking ball in the first pitch of an inning that I called a strike that was a few inches off the plate - just poor timing.

I love LL and I am still involved, albeit in a different way now, and I'm just going to be a contrarian here. The work turned in by some of these umpires has put us back at least five years. I sincerely thought that the perception of the work of umpires during these tournaments had improved dramatically the last few years, with few examples of these kinds of really bad pitches, but I could post at least a dozen of these from 5-6 different games from this week alone.

Also, these are mostly umpires who have been there and done that before as those selected mostly chose to defer their selection to 2022. The regions had a chance to bring in the best of the best from previous years - they could've brought back all those who worked championship plates well, and it seems they simply didn't do that. Note: I'm not eligible to work, so this isn't any kind of sour grapes.

I know a few of the WS umpires and I know they will do a great job. But to say that the umpiring hasn't been part of the story this week is just putting on the blinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

I've been in touch with my colleague who was going to work the regional this year. I'm passing along what he told me, perhaps others here can confirm or refute it. 

He had been scheduled for the 2020 regional which had been canceled but they carried over the appointment to this year. A couple of months ago, LL informed the Regional umps of the protocol to be used. After that he and some others declined the invitation thinking the ump protocol too restrictive. This was before the Delta variant surge. 

If this is true and there were a lot of umpires that declined, could these be less experienced umps out there?

11 minutes ago, agdz59 said:

I've been in touch with my colleague who was going to work the regional this year. I'm passing along what he told me, perhaps others here can confirm or refute it. 

He had been scheduled for the 2020 regional which had been canceled but they carried over the appointment to this year. A couple of months ago, LL informed the Regional umps of the protocol to be used. After that he and some others declined the invitation thinking the ump protocol too restrictive. This was before the Delta variant surge. 

If this is true and there were a lot of umpires that declined, could these be less experienced umps out there?

No.  The regions all reached out to umpires who have worked events in the past or are connected in some way to the regions.  Our district had an umpire scheduled to work and he deferred.  It's not the masking protocol that was the issue for him, it was the lack of family and fans allowed.

2 of the umpires that worked the LLWS when I went are going back again this year.  All of the LLWS umpires (12 this year instead of 16) have already worked a LLWS.  They will be working 4-umpire crews, at least the first week.

• Like 1

OK - so before opening the video I knew this pitch was going to be outside...probably over the chalk...and right around, if not below, the knees.

And I can only assume most of you did too.

Umpire Auditor "worst miss of the day" is low/outside about 80% of the time.

So, is being in the slot the lesser of all evils...do we just accept that these misses come with what is otherwise the best and safest position for umps. 

(I would say this particular example is compounded by an umpire standing almost upright - volunteer or not that looks lazy to me)

Or do we need to bring back balloon protectors and get over/behind the catcher??

9 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

OK - so before opening the video I knew this pitch was going to be outside...probably over the chalk...and right around, if not below, the knees.

And I can only assume most of you did too.

Umpire Auditor "worst miss of the day" is low/outside about 80% of the time.

So, is being in the slot the lesser of all evils...do we just accept that these misses come with what is otherwise the best and safest position for umps. 

(I would say this particular example is compounded by an umpire standing almost upright - volunteer or not that looks lazy to me)

Or do we need to bring back balloon protectors and get over/behind the catcher??

If we were to separate misses by high/low and in/out, this would be the second-best place to mess up. Anything in that's incorrectly called a strike is not a very hittable pitch. To adjust based off of these metrics would make it harder for batters, not easier. 

Ya gotta love some of these "commentators" (??). I'm paraphrasing a few remarks:

" . . . pitchers have to adjust to each umpires' strike zone . . . I guess this one wants some part of the ball over the plate"  . . . 

" it was called a fair ball because the 3rd baseman was standing in fair territory" .

The ball was rolling up 3rd base line just on the outside edge of the foul line and touched by the fielder. From the viewing angle shown, IMO, the call could have gone either way but was called fair. It's the remark that was made. 🙂

Where do they get these people??? . . . and I wonder if they get paid to "commentate" ?

Clowns!.png