Gil - seen this one yet?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without knowing what the umpires actually judged, let alone what actually happened (F3 fell on his own, nobody saw a collision, whatever), PROTEST is a tool not enough coaches use...especially as it appears that the coach is arguing "something" about the rule...if you at any point in the argument are saying to an umpire "that's not the rule" then just end the conversation and protest the game.

Conversely - and I'd like to hear umpires' opinions on this - is it not better if an umpire, in recognizing that the argument is about a rule and not judgment, to end the conversation with "if you want to argue the rule, then file a protest...there's no more argument here".

However, I get the impression that the umpires protected either F1 or F2 on the fly ball (right, wrong or indifferent), and called OBS on F3 for the collision...no protest allowed.  (although it looks initially like U2 would have called INT)

18 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Conversely - and I'd like to hear umpires' opinions on this - is it not better if an umpire, in recognizing that the argument is about a rule and not judgment, to end the conversation with "if you want to argue the rule, then file a protest...there's no more argument here".

Personally, I wouldn’t.  Only had 1 protest make it to the book. It was withdrawn before the next AB was completed.