Jump to content
  • 0

Runner on Base Hit by Batted Ball


Guest Kenneth A. Boos

Question

Guest Kenneth A. Boos

Men's slow-pitch softball. Runner on first base. 0 out. Batter hits a line drive that hits the runner on first base while he is still on the base. The batted ball bounces to the first baseman. He picks up the ball, tags the runner, who is still standing on the base, and then steps on first base before the batter-runner reaches first base. What should the outcome of the play be?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, Guest Kenneth A. Boos said:

Men's slow-pitch softball. Runner on first base. 0 out. Batter hits a line drive that hits the runner on first base while he is still on the base. The batted ball bounces to the first baseman. He picks up the ball, tags the runner, who is still standing on the base, and then steps on first base before the batter-runner reaches first base. What should the outcome of the play be?

 

I am not as familiar with slow pitch softball rules, but I know in softball that a runner not on a base being hit is an out.

Also, in baseball, the bag does not protect runner.

long story short, in baseball, runner on 1st is out, ball is dead when it hits him, batter is awarded first.

If slow pitch protects runners standing on base (which they might since you can’t lead off), then being hit is nothing, and you have a double play

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

In softball, because runners are anchored to the base (in fastpitch until the pitch leaves the hand, in slow pitch until the ball has been hit) the runner is protected from a batted ball if they're touching the base.

The ball remains live.  

Because the fielder touched the runner before touching the bag it's a double play.  (because this is now a force play the runner can not use first base as a safe haven)

 

This assumes the ball was in fair territory when it hit R1  (foul possibility is more common with the ball hitting R3 while on base, but still conceivable for some part of R1 to be in foul territory where the ball hit him) - if the ball was completely in/over foul territory when it hit the runner it's just a foul ball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Let's look at the question completely!

Baseball:  Any runner hit by a FAIR BATTED BALL IN FAIR TERRITORY is out.  Ever notice how runners from 3B are coached to be in foul territory?  That way if the ball hits them, its foul!  And nothing else.  There have been cases where a hard drive hits the third base bag and bounces towards the runner and hits him;  first, its a FAIR BATTED BALL, but second, the runner is NOT in FAIR TERRITORY.  Approved ruling is Play on!  Also, a declared Infield Fly that hits a runner standing on a base is NOT an out.

Some (but not all) softball rules:  Standing on a base IS a sanctuary.  I believe it's play on!

My $0.02 worth.

Mike

Las Vegas

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Some (but not all) softball rules:  Standing on a base IS a sanctuary.  I believe it's play on!

I "believe" all softball rules...At the very least I've yet to run across a softball (either fastpitch or slow pitch) rule set where this isn't the case...though I've never seen a softball game under FED or LL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 8/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, beerguy55 said:

I "believe" all softball rules...At the very least I've yet to run across a softball (either fastpitch or slow pitch) rule set where this isn't the case...though I've never seen a softball game under FED or LL.

LL the base is NOT a sanctuary.  Mostly they follow LL baseball rules.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 8/10/2021 at 11:50 AM, Vegas_Ump said:

Let's look at the question completely!

Baseball:  Any runner hit by a FAIR BATTED BALL IN FAIR TERRITORY is out.  Ever notice how runners from 3B are coached to be in foul territory?  That way if the ball hits them, its foul!  And nothing else.  There have been cases where a hard drive hits the third base bag and bounces towards the runner and hits him;  first, its a FAIR BATTED BALL, but second, the runner is NOT in FAIR TERRITORY.  Approved ruling is Play on!  Also, a declared Infield Fly that hits a runner standing on a base is NOT an out.

Some (but not all) softball rules:  Standing on a base IS a sanctuary.  I believe it's play on!

My $0.02 worth.

Mike

Las Vegas

 

Not true

 

If the hit ball  passed by a infielder who had a chance to field it and then hit the runner "Thats Nothing!!" and live ball. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 8/13/2021 at 9:38 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

 

Not true

 

If the hit ball  passed by a infielder who had a chance to field it and then hit the runner "Thats Nothing!!" and live ball. 

Arch:  be careful not to try to infuse "String Theory" in this play.  [That's bogus rule interpretation.] The old language in the rule book used to say "A runner who is DIRECT BACK of a fielder" who fails to make the play cannot be called out.  It is play on.  But if the fielder has to really leap sideways to attempt to make a play (and does not touch the ball), upon hitting the runner, he is out for interference.  Your situation comes up with the infield way in to cut off a run at the plate.  But the language of the rule doesn't care.

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
19 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Arch:  be careful not to try to infuse "String Theory" in this play.  [That's bogus rule interpretation.] The old language in the rule book used to say "A runner who is DIRECT BACK of a fielder" who fails to make the play cannot be called out.  It is play on.  But if the fielder has to really leap sideways to attempt to make a play (and does not touch the ball), upon hitting the runner, he is out for interference.  Your situation comes up with the infield way in to cut off a run at the plate.  But the language of the rule doesn't care.

Mike

PBUC has a play where F3 dives to his right and the ball passes just out of his reach. That is “thru or by”. With the infield in no INT. With the infield normal it’s probably INT at any level where you judge F4 had a play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.






×
×
  • Create New...