Western and Northwestern LL Regionals - COVID

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 961 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Both of these tournaments are held at San Bernardino.  They start today.  Some friends will accomplish some of the umpire duties.

They report that the Alaska team (NWR) has been sent into quarantine for Covid positive tests.  That means they are out of the tournament.

On the Western side, my team from Summerlin South (Nevada) had some players pop positive, but they have enough players to proceed.  It's going to be an interesting LLWS, but I take may hat off to those who did the planning and coordination while dealing with the pandemic so there could be a season, districts, states, and now Regionals.  Consider how long ago they had to make decisions based on what the pandemic was presenting them at the time.

Enjoy the games!

Mike

Las Vegas

Right...because if "just a few players pop positive" there's no reason to think the other players or coaches on that team wouldn't be infected and should also quarantine.

I get it...that ESPN moneybag is indeed huge...and nobody is forced to play, coach, umpire, spectate or volunteer.

But, the science doesn't support LL's protocols...

~Dawg

42 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Right...because if "just a few players pop positive" there's no reason to think the other players or coaches on that team wouldn't be infected and should also quarantine.

I get it...that ESPN moneybag is indeed huge...and nobody is forced to play, coach, umpire, spectate or volunteer.

~Dawg

You don't suppose maybe they got tested too.

Don't assume. It's bad for umpire's calls and bad for science.

Teams don't get the money. The tournament will go on so the TV broadcasts will happen.

On 8/9/2021 at 12:02 AM, SeeingEyeDog said:

~Dawg

Rarely disagree with you Dawg, but I know people who were positive and their spouse they spent quarantine with didn’t get it.

I know of a group of 4 athletes who took a car trip together, 5 hours each way in a car while one was positive, none of the other 3 got it.

Those are only from my life experiences so could be an anomaly, but assuming kids who don’t live together would get it bc a teammate does is a big leap too.  If that was the case, no sports team that had someone down for Q would have a player left that didn’t get it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SH0102 said:

I know of a group of 4 athletes who took a car trip together, 5 hours each way in a car while one was positive, none of the other 3 got it.

And this is why “contact tracing” – the insipidly maddening witch hunt that it is – should not be enacted or used to suspend anyone. Actual test results? Sure. Contact tracing? Noooooope!

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

I could be wrong here (probably am) but ...aren't all teams, coaches and umpires tested?  My assumption is, yes.   Then why are the umpires wearing masks? :HS 

The teams and coaches are not required to be vaccinated. I'm not sure how often they are tested. The teams are only allowed a certain number of family members per player to attend the games. The games are not open to the general public. I believe all family members attending games are tested at the gate.

The umpires, and all other volunteers/staff are required to be fully vaccinated. Not sure how often, or if they are tested. Umpires are not allowed to to have any visitors/spectators, including family. 

I'm also not sure why they are required to wear masks.

11 hours ago, MadMax said:

And this is why “contact tracing” – the insipidly maddening witch hunt that it is – should not be enacted or used to suspend anyone. Actual test results? Sure. Contact tracing? Noooooope!

You need contact tracing to find out who needs testing. Logic 101.

1 hour ago, JonnyCat said:

I'm also not sure why they are required to wear masks.

“Looks better” on TV. Reinforces “the message”. 

28 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

You need contact tracing to find out who needs testing.

And what did I say? You quoted me verbatim, so it’s not like I can scurry back and edit it to correct myself… I said it shouldn’t be used to suspend anyone. 

I’ve smelled violations of due process all along.

If I’m 20 and at the block party kegger, it’s akin to getting thrown in jail w/o actually being proven to have consumed alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Catch18 said:

I’ve smelled violations of due process all along.

If I’m 20 and at the block party kegger… 

Worse. 

“Their” version of contact tracing is if you’re out for a jog on the same block as the party, of if you merely know someone who went to the party. Maybe your friend, co-worker, or roommate… regardless of when or how much contact you’ve had with those people.