Runner called out for being out of the baseline

Guest Zeke
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 964 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

From what I understand there is no preset base path in the field until a tag play is going to occur then the umpire determines the base path of the runner and decides if he is beyond the 3 foot allowance that defines being “out of the baseline” when a tag is attempted. I asked an umpire who told me that there is a preset base path that you use. I never read this in the rule book or saw a diagram defining this so called base path. How should you determine the base path? Thank you

4 answers to this question

10 minutes ago, Guest Zeke said:

From what I understand there is no preset base path in the field until a tag play is going to occur then the umpire determines the base path of the runner and decides if he is beyond the 3 foot allowance that defines being “out of the baseline” when a tag is attempted. I asked an umpire who told me that there is a preset base path that you use. I never read this in the rule book or saw a diagram defining this so called base path. How should you determine the base path? Thank you

The notion of a baseline, a direct line between bases is generally used for determining interference…things like force-play-slide-rule, intentional INT by a runner (R1 running towards second on a batted ball to F4 and deviates to get in his way).

A basePATH, which is the route runners use to get to a base, is generally unrestricted except when a tag attempt is being made (and they can’t run in reverse order to confuse defense, can’t intentionally interfere, etc)

The idea of having to run in a direct line is broken when you watch a batter rounding first, a runner coming home from 2nd (or 1st), they often can be found 15-20 feet in foul territory.

Based strictly on the info you presented, it appears the umpire was incorrect.  What level was this ?

30 minutes ago, Guest Zeke said:

Find a rule book (all have the same rule).  The definition of the runner's path is there in the rule that says they are out when deviating more than three feet from that path to avoid a tag. 

29 minutes ago, Guest Zeke said:

From what I understand there is no preset base path in the field until a tag play is going to occur then the umpire determines the base path of the runner and decides if he is beyond the 3 foot allowance

What you write is basically correct, except for the bolded part.

The base path is a straight line from the runner's present position to the base he's trying to acquire (advancing or returning). The umpire does NOT determine that path.

It is of course a judgment call whether the runner is more than 3 feet off the path so-defined, but 3 feet isn't much—an arm length for adult players. 

I never miss an opportunity to get this out and end rundowns.

That umpire was obviously umpiring back in 1982 when that was possible.  Yeah, many people don't remember when the runners had to run in a straight line and make 90-degree turns due the physics of the world back then.

giphy.gif

Now we have evolved though, and runners are no longer able to do that.  Since the runners are now able to run in non-linear motions, we have changed to the definition with the runner determining the basepath.

Mercenary+Garage+Custom+Motorcycle+Works 

• Haha 1