Opinions?

SJA
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 982 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is a strange request for your opinions please.

Watched a LL Sr. Girls SB. First night, game went 7 innings and ended with an 18 to 17 win. Next night, same two teams, same pitchers, different Ump crew. Game went 5 innings with final score 19 to 0 and the opposite team winning. What are your opinions on the possibilities  of why such a drastic(?) difference in games. ? . . . PS, I did not see the second game, just heard about it.

TIA 🙂 

31 minutes ago, SJA said:

Watched a LL Sr. Girls SB. First night, game went 7 innings and ended with an 18 to 17 win. Next night, same two teams, same pitchers, different Ump crew. Game went 5 innings with final score 19 to 0 and the opposite team winning. What are your opinions on the possibilities  of why such a drastic(?) difference in games. ? . . . PS, I did not see the second game, just heard about it.

TIA 🙂 

My opinion is yes, that is a strange request.

SH0102, if you were criticizing the OP for "umpire-shaming," I don't think SJA, a member here for eight years, was implying anything about the officiating. In fact, he expressed no opinion at all, just stated several facts.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, LRZ said:

SH0102, if you were criticizing the OP for "umpire-shaming," I don't think SJA, a member here for eight years, was implying anything about the officiating. In fact, he expressed no opinion at all, just stated several facts.

Perhaps I missed his intention, but he made a point to say the only difference was umpire crew; so read that way.  I apologize if I misunderstood

12 hours ago, SJA said:

Watched a LL Sr. Girls softball. [snip]… What are your opinions on the possibilities  of why such a drastic(?) difference in games. ?

My opinion is contained in your question. 

I can’t figure out girls, and I sure can’t explain softball. 

• Haha 1

As some of you do, you jump to conclusions. I in no way made any insinuation towards the Umps! They were very good the game I watched and I was told the other crew was also very good. I think Tborze has an acceptable insight . . . "Defense".

I'll self admit I jumped to the conclusions and had my witty retorts ready to go...

Amygdala rightly shrunk, here is my thoughtful response...

Significant dependency on many factors can contribute:

1) Humanity. (see Biles, Simone, a.ka. the Gymnastic G.O.A.T.). There is a high daily variability in people performance day to day (Seniors is 14-16 year olds? So hourly, if not minute by minute variablity is expected (come to my house - 17 yr old boy and 15 yr old girl - if you want proof.

1b) Who knows what they did between games? When my sons' club teams travels, they are prohibited from going in the pool since a many moons ago team (this is an established program) left all their energy there and got wiped out.

2) Pitcher performance. Softball/Baseball is so dependent on the pitcher. She may have pitched the game of her life the first night or had the worst night of her life the second. And/or, she got the equivalent of flipping heads fifty times in a row the first night (i.e. defense made plays, was 1/4 of an inch closer to the strike zone because of the wind or her catchers framing, etc.)

2) Catcher. We know how important F2 is - see above, U3K, passed balls, etc.

3) The bats. We've all seen a teams bats collectively fall silent. They may have incorrectly thought they had the umps zone figured out from the night before and were working walks (if same PU) or couldn't figured the new PU - NOT saying the PU was deficient in either case but a new PU is a new zone.

4) Humans were involved

5) Sh*t happens

• Like 2

On 8/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, SJA said:

TIA 🙂 

We don't know caliber of teams...or which result, on its own, was more expected/normal for those two teams...did a team play better than normal, or worse than normal, or both...and which night did that happen.  In short, we don't know if the team that won 18-17 played lights out and never played a game as well in their life...or did the team that lost 18-17 lay an egg...The natural reaction is to be surprised by the 19-0 result...but maybe it's the 18-17 result that was surprising....regardless...there are countless reasons for it to happen.

Different defensive alignment

Different players/batters

Stamina - one team is exhausted the next day, the other isn't (and we don't know who played what earlier that week)

Team that won first night partied in celebration...or went to Disneyland the next day

Team that lost first night got chewed out, or pissed off, and motivated to win next day

Someone died, or something similar effecting state of mind of some players

Teams sometimes just have a bad day  (or a good day)

Sheer dumb blind luck

Time of month for certain players (that's not a joke...I coached girls' softball for seven years...it matters and it's a factor)

And so on and so on...I've had teams score, or allow, 7+ runs in the first inning and not score, or allow, another the rest of the game...it's a weird sport.