What is up with all the recent locked threads?

I noticed that, too. Didn't seem like they were going off the rails too much, or getting out of hand. It's a discussion board, that's what we are supposed to do.

9 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Title asks it all.

Just wondering if we are doing something we shouldn't be.  I can't say I noticed anything other than humor.

What's up with all the recent locked threads? :HS 

@The Man in Blue and others (caveat: this is NOT directed at someone specific, and is not personal).   Before I start, no, ...no one is doing anything 'wrong'.

First: Please remember that just because I lock the "sold" items on the 'Buy/Sell/Trade' forum does not mean I lock threads on all forums.   There are other Mods besides me, plus Warren ;) 

Second: That being said, ...this week I've locked 2 threads that I can recall.  Both of them were on the 'Ask the umpire' forum, and both of them also had had the question answered more than one time (correctly), and ... things started getting funny, (yes, no harm done) but ... it's the 'Ask the umpire' forum and Warren and the moderator crew believe this forum should be just that ...  ASK / ANSWER, and keep it clean (tidy). It's one of our "information source" forums.   I also recall moving a thread @SeeingEyeDog into another forum because it was already being discussed.  I locked it, then moved the information.

@JonnyCat .... yes, it's a discussion forum and that's what we're supposed to do, I agree, but hopefully my description helped. :nod: 

If you've seen other threads that you don't think should have been locked, please bring them to my attention.

Now, for clarification - no one loves a good joke, pun, GIF, whatever where appropriate, and we do plenty of that on this site and NO, I am not opposed to it, nor is the rest of the moderating team.   But again, Ask the Umpire is an info forum that we want to keep clean and tidy.

@Umpire in Chief ... Warren, please chime in if I missed anything here.  Also, other mods please jump in too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Thunderheads!  I just hadn't noticed it before so it caught my eye.  I wondered if it was like those "behind the fence" conversations ... I know they go on all the time without me ever noticing, but the right words (or the wrong ones) at the right time (or the wrong one!) catch my ear.

I knew about the sold items; I was talking about the recent ones in the Ask the Umpire section.  There were a couple of comments right before the lock that made me wonder.  

Asked and answered!  Thank you!  (Like I said, just wanted to make sure we weren't causing any problems.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Thank you @Thunderheads!  I just hadn't noticed it before so it caught my eye.  I wondered if it was like those "behind the fence" conversations ... I know they go on all the time without me ever noticing, but the right words (or the wrong ones) at the right time (or the wrong one!) catch my ear.

I knew about the sold items; I was talking about the recent ones in the Ask the Umpire section.  There were a couple of comments right before the lock that made me wonder.  

Asked and answered!  Thank you!  (Like I said, just wanted to make sure we weren't causing any problems.)

Oh gosh no .... it's actually rare when you guys 'cause problems' :) 

2 hours ago, noumpere said:

FWIW, and without any specific examples or references, I think more threads should be locked earlier.

I agree, especially the ones that have my comments in them! :lol:

@Thunderheads Thanks for the clarification!

• Haha 2

On 7/30/2021 at 10:59 AM, LRZ said:

For the most part, we all treat each other with respect, despite sometimes ardent disagreement.

Oh blow it out your .. er ... uh ... I mean I love you, man!🤪😄

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:17 AM, Thunderheads said:

no one loves a good joke, pun, GIF, whatever where appropriate, and we do plenty of that on this site and NO, I am not opposed to it, nor is the rest of the moderating team. 

Now no one likes a good laugh more than me, except perhaps my wife and some of her friends...ah yes, and Captain Johnson...come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than me, but that's beside the point...

• Haha 1

I haven’t been on much since this topic came to life. I usually just lock the sold topics if I get there before @Thunderheads. I pretty much follow Jeff’s thinking. I prefer to throw a warning out there first. 

• Like 1