What is up with all the recent locked threads?

The Man in Blue

9 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Title asks it all.

Just wondering if we are doing something we shouldn't be.  I can't say I noticed anything other than humor.

What's up with all the recent locked threads? :HS 

@The Man in Blue and others (caveat: this is NOT directed at someone specific, and is not personal).   Before I start, no, ...no one is doing anything 'wrong'.

First: Please remember that just because I lock the "sold" items on the 'Buy/Sell/Trade' forum does not mean I lock threads on all forums.   There are other Mods besides me, plus Warren ;) 

Second: That being said, ...this week I've locked 2 threads that I can recall.  Both of them were on the 'Ask the umpire' forum, and both of them also had had the question answered more than one time (correctly), and ... things started getting funny, (yes, no harm done) but ... it's the 'Ask the umpire' forum and Warren and the moderator crew believe this forum should be just that ...  ASK / ANSWER, and keep it clean (tidy). It's one of our "information source" forums.   I also recall moving a thread @SeeingEyeDog into another forum because it was already being discussed.  I locked it, then moved the information.

@JonnyCat .... yes, it's a discussion forum and that's what we're supposed to do, I agree, but hopefully my description helped. :nod: 

If you've seen other threads that you don't think should have been locked, please bring them to my attention.

Now, for clarification - no one loves a good joke, pun, GIF, whatever where appropriate, and we do plenty of that on this site and NO, I am not opposed to it, nor is the rest of the moderating team.   But again, Ask the Umpire is an info forum that we want to keep clean and tidy.

@Umpire in Chief ... Warren, please chime in if I missed anything here.  Also, other mods please jump in too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you @Thunderheads!  I just hadn't noticed it before so it caught my eye.  I wondered if it was like those "behind the fence" conversations ... I know they go on all the time without me ever noticing, but the right words (or the wrong ones) at the right time (or the wrong one!) catch my ear.

I knew about the sold items; I was talking about the recent ones in the Ask the Umpire section.  There were a couple of comments right before the lock that made me wonder.  

Asked and answered!  Thank you!  (Like I said, just wanted to make sure we weren't causing any problems.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Man in Blue said:

Thank you @Thunderheads!  I just hadn't noticed it before so it caught my eye.  I wondered if it was like those "behind the fence" conversations ... I know they go on all the time without me ever noticing, but the right words (or the wrong ones) at the right time (or the wrong one!) catch my ear.

I knew about the sold items; I was talking about the recent ones in the Ask the Umpire section.  There were a couple of comments right before the lock that made me wonder.  

Asked and answered!  Thank you!  (Like I said, just wanted to make sure we weren't causing any problems.)

Oh gosh no .... it's actually rare when you guys 'cause problems' :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 6:17 AM, Thunderheads said:

no one loves a good joke, pun, GIF, whatever where appropriate, and we do plenty of that on this site and NO, I am not opposed to it, nor is the rest of the moderating team. 

Now no one likes a good laugh more than me, except perhaps my wife and some of her friends...ah yes, and Captain Johnson...come to think of it, most people like a good laugh more than me, but that's beside the point...

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...

"I'm shutting this down. Plenty of unnecessary and quite frankly, false editorial in here."

I understand a recent thread was shut down because of the above reasons. Other than the phrases "Thanks Joe" and "Thanks Donkeys", what were the other "false editorials" in the post? It says plenty, but I didn't get that from the posting. Just wondering what was so offensive. There are obviously opinions on many of the threads here on UE. Is it possible that the reason for shut down was rooted in your opinion also?

Also, would the mods ever consider letting a poster edit his/her post to remove perceived "objectionable" content?

Just curious if that might be a way to let some discussions continue. That particular thread had not run it's course at all, IMO.

Remarks about women's sports and Title IX and about young people. I have very strong thoughts about political and social issues, but I keep them out of my posts: this is not the forum in which to air them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LRZ said:

Remarks about women's sports and Title IX and about young people.

"The HS districts are absolutely strapped for cash, and have zero-to-no interest or ability to install lights; those schools that do lay out for lights for baseball must also install lights for softball, due to Title IX, regardless as to if the softball program wants or needs them. A baseball field is an incredibly specialized field, and can be used solely for baseball, and that season is relatively short. Added to this, schools must provide buses for any late extracurricular activities, and now with the inflated costs of all of that (Thanks Joe!),"

Is this the text about women and young people you are referring to? I don't see anything offensive about the first 2 sentences. Also, we have discussion sections sections devoted to youth sports and softball. I don't understand what you mean by remarks about women's sports and young people. We discuss those very issues on a daily basis here. I'm not trying to be confrontational, I just am not understanding what you mean, and I have no desire or intention to get into a political debate with anyone on UE. If you think that any political reference on UE is unacceptable, I completely respect that.

The reference to "Thanks Joe" was most likely due to the rising cost of diesel fuel, which most buses run on. I don't think it had anything to do with women or young people.

The reference to "Thanks Donkeys" was most likely due to the rising cost of inflation.

Regardless, I don't really care about right or left political comments on UE. It doesn't bother me. I don't have to listen to any of it, nor am I required to respond to it. I get that some people are more sensitive than others when it come to politics. If the mods and owner of this site don't want any political references, I'm fine with that. Again, I don't care one way or another. But conversely, I don't want someone's political bias dictating what is "offensive" or not. But I realize that UE is not a democracy and the owner can do what he wants. If the site doesn't want any political references whatsoever, I completely respect that.

My question is, and I don't want it lost in all of this, would the mods consider letting posters edit their posts to remove questionable content? It seems perhaps another tool to keep threads on track, and keep the discussion going. What about just removing the offensive post, rather than locking the thread in it's entirety?

I'm just throwing that out there as food for thought. I realize this is a minor issue, and no one needs to get heartburn over it. It's just a suggestion.

• Like 2

I won't step into any of the issues, but I just want to echo @JonnyCat's thought on asking posters to remove the objectionable pieces.  As it stands, the objectionable material is still there (with more attention called to it) AND a valuable information thread is now locked.  Seems counterproductive.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry I've missed this post until now, but I think it is important that I chime in...

Moderation is the darn if you do darn if you don't type situation.  When you get into the realm of needing to moderate or delete a post someone is not going to be happy and often times it is subjective. For better or worse earlier on I did not have great success in asking people to moderate their own posts and I just frankly stopped asking people "Hey _____ would you mind rewording your post about______" 

While JohnnyG shut down the referenced post (which even in hindsight I support) I personally would be probably quicker to shut down anything getting political (either way) than other "objectionable content." My thought is everybody has their own political opinions and are firmly set in their ways and nothing said here that is remotely going to change that and only lead to further political commentary. If someone is being overly harsh about someone still wearing heather gray pants that will probably slide much longer. I think writing Thanks Joe or Thanks Donkeys (even if it were the opposite way around politically), while "mild" just doesn't belong here. SO good job @Thunderheads & @johnnyg08

My only conceivable permission in going political would be a discussion on a new law protecting officials where people say (insert politician's name here) is awesome/ridiculous for supporting/opposing this bill.

Of all the reports i can run out of the system It doesn't appear I can run one on locked threads. But I will dig into it some more. 

But if you see a post that needs attention either to be shut down or one that was shut down and you want to know why, just ask me. 

• Like 1