Fechheimer plate coat -- eat your hearts out!

The plate coat in my profile pic -- shown here larger so you can see just how sexy I am -- is the highly esteemed Fechheimer.  The best part is that it was just GIVEN to me by a retiring umpire, and fits like it was tailored to my exact dimensions.  

I never win anything, but I'm calling this a huge win!

Fechtheimer.jpg

• Like 8

• mac266 changed the title to Fechheimer plate coat -- eat your hearts out!
15 hours ago, mac266 said:

The plate coat in my profile pic -- shown here larger so you can see just how sexy I am -- is the highly esteemed Fechheimer.  The best part is that it was just GIVEN to me by a retiring umpire, and fits like it was tailored to my exact dimensions.  

I never win anything, but I'm calling this a huge win!

Fechtheimer.jpg

These remain the best IMO 

16 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

Very nice...........................all except for that big ugly yellow W :lol:

This seems to be a very divisive topic amongst umpires.  Some say wear it directly over the chest protector with the giant "W" sticking out, and others say to wear a mock turtle neck that matches the plate coat's color. 

Ahem.... paging @MadMax.... there seems to be a misunderstanding of a reference to the big yellow W. 

@mac266, whether you opt for covering your chest protector while wearing a plate coat is your call. Search for any number of threads on the big yellow W to see why @Aging_Arbiter said what he said.

Here is one to whet your appetite. 

7 hours ago, mac266 said:

This seems to be a very divisive topic amongst umpires.  Some say wear it directly over the chest protector with the giant "W" sticking out, and others say to wear a mock turtle neck that matches the plate coat's color. 

Don't take it personal @mac266, i'm just anti W.  Like I said about the jacket...........very nice.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UMP45 said:

I would still have it tailored. I did mine. I've had mine since 1993.

Seriously, the guy was exactly my size in every dimension.  There isn't a single thing that needs to be changed. As you can see from the photo, I'm still in military physical conditioning; I'm not as round as many of our colleagues.  This guy was, too.  Wearing the thing makes me look like a giant shouldered body builder with a thin waist!

On 7/30/2021 at 2:49 PM, mac266 said:

This seems to be a very divisive topic amongst umpires.

This gets divisive because when it comes down to it – “who decides what to show and what to obscure?” Sure, Wilson gets preferential, exclusive exposure in MLB, obviously due to the exclusive supplier contract they still maintain 🤨. That’s the only thing keeping guys like Wolf and Barrett from showing off their CP brands (Riddell and Carlucci, respectively) on TV. 

In the Minors, it’s a matter of not upsetting one’s evaluators and higher-ups. In the amateur ranks, it’s a matter of not upsetting one’s assigner and/or crew chief. There are plenty of leagues that have endorsements or supply contracts with a vendor that is in competition with a brand like Wilson, or Nike, or UnderArmour, and would direct or require the PU to either obscure the brand mark, or wear a plain shirt over the CP. 

In my case, I wear a sleeveless black compression shirt over my Schutt XV CP. As eye-catching as it would be, the Schutt XV is like wearing a cheese grater, and looks kinda odd on its own, so to give it a sleek look, I top it off with that compression shirt.

And yes, I know about the “branding mark issue” first-hand; at one time, I was wearing a undershirt over the CP with a Nike swoosh front and center, visible while wearing my plate coat. Upon completing the game, the phone call from the supervisor was, “Plate Coat looks awesome, but nix the swoosh. Nike’s not one of our sponsors.”

• Like 1